Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2008 Frontier Crew Cab SE 4x4 with 37300 miles from a local Toyota dealer. I checked the AT transmission fluid and it looks extremely clear; almost like its clear water color... at first I freaked out cause I thought it was empty. After closer examination, its evident that it has fluid. Wet within the hot range (checked after driving for a few miles, idling and warm on a level driveway).
The dipstick says "Nissan Matic J only", but I've read on a forum that J has been replaced with S.. not sure if true.
The transmission runs very smoothly & truck has plenty power.
Has anyone seen this before? What color is Matic J and what color is Matic S?

Thanks in advance for your help & reply.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
pull the dip stick again and then wipe it on a clean white piece of paper. Does it have any red tinge to it?

Pull the radiator cap and check to see if there is any milkshake looking goo on the bottom.

Report back here when done...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
both are pinkish red normal trans fluid color. Drain whatever is in there out before you drive it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
reply to color test on white paper

I pulled the AT dipstick out and rubbed the fluid on white paper as instructed... after applying 2-3 times, I could see a slight reddish hue to the color... I guess that's good.

Also, after being parked in the garage for about 2 hrs, I started the truck and idled for about 5 mins, shifted through the gears, shut off the truck and removed the radiator cap. Underside of cap looked extremely new & clean. No milkshake. :) The coolant looked very new & bright green. (See attached pictures).

Truck looks like previous owner really took care of it and engine looks showroom clean.

Thanks for the replies guys. This is cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Chadwilliam1,
Please look at my previous post which includes my findings. I should be ok to leave existing fluid in the truck since the white paper test revealed there is a slight red tint/hue to the AT fluid and my radiator/coolant look great. Correct?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Atf fluid is hydraulic oil, nothing more. The reason it is normally red is just a dye to jelp identify it. Your fine.
thats over simplifying it.

Op I cant tell anything by your picture. you could take it back and ask a mechanic who works there. I wouldn't just take the opinions of people on this forum a new trans is expensive. worth a second opining.

what I would do is drain some out into a clean container to see it better.

·
Registered
475 Posts
It seems to be normal. Mine in my 2010 was clear as well. I think Nissan does it so they can tell if the tranny has been messed with.

It's Matic J, just missing the dye.

I've done a drain and fill on my tranny at 30K, and I used Valvoline MaxLife ATF. It's a syn fluid and meets the Matic J and S specs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks - extended warranty ??

Yes. I just want to make sure the dealer I bought it from didn't put the wrong kind of fluid in it. I have heard that if you use the wrong kind, it will void the Nissan (powertrain) warranty. I'm gonna call them and ask them if they changed it and if so, what kind they used.

I'm feeling better now though cause I was able to see the reddish hue in the fluid and it smells like AT fluid; no burnt smell...

Also, I have a chance to put a 5 yr, 100K miles bumper-t0-bumper extended warranty through our credit union (with zero deductible) for about $1700US. Do you guys think that is a good deal and worth it? I currently have about 37350 miles on the truck.

I do appreciate all the feedback and advice though. Thanks.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Don't think your antifreeze should be green though.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I can see in the dipstick pic that the ATF sitting in the dimples is red. ATF won't cling to a dipstick like your motor oil and will appear clear if you aren't passing light through a lot of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
come on...lol Just when I was starting to feel comfortable... what color should it be? I saw on another forum that lots of Frontier owners had green... they said orange was for high mileage vehicles...

·
Registered
675 Posts
It's normal. My 2007 with 61K on it is like that. Puzzled me at first, but then noticed the slight color to it. Good to know it's that clean after those miles. Coolant on mine is green as well. Not too sure about the date, but I think Nissan switched to a different color (after 09-10 maybe?) Someone can correct me on that.

·
Premium Member
10,241 Posts
The 2010 and newer trucks have Nissans long life blue coolant.

Clint

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Matic S is the synthetic, they are interchangeable.

My 06 came with green (coolant) and was flushed and replaced with green.

Your fluids look good, coolant is bright green and atf isn't burnt to brown. A second opinion never hurts but looks good.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Agreed. Changing the transmission fluid is easy and relatively cheap in comparison to a new tranny if you do it your self. It will also give you peace of mind about it. I know the whole time I was driving the truck if it was mine I would be thinking WFT is the tranny going to nuke on me?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
do a drain and fill with matic S for peace of mind.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Normally I don't get the extended warranty.

But I would say you should this time. If I wouldn't have I'd be super pissed right now.

Evap. canister (first day of ownership), IPDM, oil pressure sensor, transfer case seal and front driver side wheel bearing all covered under warranty.

I hope I'm done now 'cause my warranty is up.

Next on the list is new suspension and tires. I'm gonna have to call Greg because he hasn't answered my email in 3 days. But that's off the topic...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts