Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've had my '05 now for 5 years and even though I keep the truck washed and clean I've never actually taken the wheels off and cleaned the back side of my wheels. The other day while washing I noticed that they were stained a brown color from the brake dust and road grime thats accumulated over the years. I want to take them off individually and give them a thourough cleaning. I will be replacing my tires in the next month or two and would like to have everything nice and clean.

I'm wondering what the best product and proceedure I should use to get the job done. I've been using simple green on my engine bay to keep it clean but I have a funny feeling it's not going to be strong enough to really get those rims clean.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
I bet Simple Green would do the trick.
If not try one of the dedicated wheel cleaners (meant to remove brake dust), watch these thought they can be harsh.
Another trick I learned over the years is powdered dishwasher soap dissolved in a bucket makes an awesome de-greaser.
It's non foaming and kicks the crap out of grease.

Then once they are clean stay on top of them every time (or every other time) you wash the vehicle.
I have one of these for that job: Amazon.com: EZ Detail Brush: Automotive

It's flexible, soft enough not to scratch rims but stiff enough to clean them well, and it goes into the smallest of places.
First bought one a few years ago for some very intricate rims that were a pain to get clean.
Just be careful not to knock off any wheel weights on the back of the rim.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bet Simple Green would do the trick.
If not try one of the dedicated wheel cleaners (meant to remove brake dust), watch these thought they can be harsh.
Another trick I learned over the years is powdered dishwasher soap dissolved in a bucket makes an awesome de-greaser.
It's non foaming and kicks the crap out of grease.

Then once they are clean stay on top of them every time (or every other time) you wash the vehicle.
I have one of these for that job: Amazon.com: EZ Detail Brush: Automotive

It's flexible, soft enough not to scratch rims but stiff enough to clean them well, and it goes into the smallest of places.
First bought one a few years ago for some very intricate rims that were a pain to get clean.
Just be careful not to knock off any wheel weights on the back of the rim.
Powedered dish washer soap huh? Never thought of that one. Maybe I'll try it out. I was just talking to a guy here at work and he recommended greased lightning. I've never tried it but maybe it would also work.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Powedered dish washer soap huh? Never thought of that one. Maybe I'll try it out. I was just talking to a guy here at work and he recommended greased lightning. I've never tried it but maybe it would also work.
Yep Greased Lightning works really well for sure.
I'd be hesitant to use it on rubber or plastic on a regular basis but on metal you'll be fine.

I even clean my (random orbital polisher) pads in the dishwasher (powder) soap. It gets the compounds and waxes right out of the foam pads.

Here's my flexible wheel brush (the red and black brush).
I knew I had posted a picture on here before, just took my a while to find it . . lol.

(picture from this thread: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/...und-problem-help-49031/index3.html#post739034. Do I have a detailing fetish? ha ha)

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I have used Simple Green and it works but you need to use something else to get into all the little grooves since the rims are not smooth on the back sides.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
I have used Simple Green and it works but you need to use something else to get into all the little grooves since the rims are not smooth on the back sides.
Yes, you'll definitely need a brush for the back of the spokes area (my SE rims were grooved like dubie said).

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
i say use some kind of wheel cleaner, (i use eagle one all wheel and tire cleaner) spray it on and leave it for a minute, then start brushing and rinse. you may have to repeat the process but i reckon a few repeats will do the trick.

goodluck and let us know how it goes

an old toothbrush heated at the neck and bent 90 degrees might help...

·
Registered
704 Posts
you can get them clean but they dont stay that way,i have done mine twice,when i rotate some of that stuff seems like its burned into the wheel,i think i tried a fine scotch brite pad seemed to help.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
you can get them clean but they dont stay that way,i have done mine twice,when i rotate some of that stuff seems like its burned into the wheel,i think i tried a fine scotch brite pad seemed to help.
x2 After two times I gave up too. It would last a day and back to normal. Simple Green and brushes is your best bet if you want to do it.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I had the same issue with a Colorado I recently sold. Just a sudsy mit and a bucket Dawn and water cleaned the inside of the wheels like new. I only use Dawn on the wheels/tires and fender wells. Too harsh for the body and painted surfaces.

·
Registered
35 Posts
After you get them clean, you want to make it easier to clean the next time. I've used Poorboysworld wheel-sealant with excellent results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts