Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my truck for over 1.5 years now so I figured it's time to claybar and wax the exterior... she sits outside a lot and the paint isn't as peachy as when I first got it from the dealer (not to mention some scuffs and scratches from a few off-road trips last year).

I haven't done a claybar/wax job for years now and I was wondering what everyone prefers to use as far as products. Keep in mind I'm not looking for some super exotic off-the-wall stuff that I have to special order, I just want to use some popular products that's available (prefer from Amazon since I'm impatient LOL)... so what are you guys/gals using these days?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I use Mothers. You can find it easily, it's a bit cheaper than Meguiar's, and it does the trick. I've read or saw somewhere that claybar is claybar so no reason to go super exotic. The clay and a bottle of Instant Detailer and you are set.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use Mothers. You can find it easily, it's a bit cheaper than Meguiar's, and it does the trick. I've read or saw somewhere that claybar is claybar so no reason to go super exotic. The clay and a bottle of Instant Detailer and you are set.
I used to use Mother's before... I guess that's still the way to go then.

·
Super Moderator
20,005 Posts
I started out with Clay Magic that I bought at Walmart. Basically what Bill_c said. They all do the same thing. If there are swirls and other paint defects, they should be polished out before applying sealant or wax. I prefer sealant because it's synthetic and much more durable than wax alone.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a difference between 'sealant' and 'wax'? Also, I always thought that the polishing out the scuffs part was included when doing the wax part... again, I'm not too knowledgeable with this stuff, I usually just read the directions on the box lol

·
Super Moderator
20,005 Posts
Is there a difference between 'sealant' and 'wax'? Also, I always thought that the polishing out the scuffs part was included when doing the wax part... again, I'm not too knowledgeable with this stuff, I usually just read the directions on the box lol
The main difference between sealant and wax is that sealants contain synthetic polymers with withstand the elements longer than regular wax. It's my understanding that heat breaks down waxes at not much over 100° F. That isn't likely to happen with sealants. Only cleaner wax can remove minor paint defects. There are plenty of instructional videos on YouTube to help you along with clay bars and paint protection products.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Any Clay bar and Mequires mist after a good wash. After that, I am still a Carnuba guy, although I only do paste annually. The other three times a years is liquid Carnuba and an orbital.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you want some detailing education and be entertained at the same time I recommend The Junkman videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiIEHn-9qo8). ZeroSix LE put me onto him and I'm glad he did. The Junkman may not be to your taste; he keeps it simple and is a little repetitive (Ok - a lot repetitive). This one is about sealant, he has others that cover most everything about detailing.

·
Super Moderator
20,005 Posts
If you want some detailing education and be entertained at the same time I recommend The Junkman videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiIEHn-9qo8). ZeroSix LE put me onto him and I'm glad he did. The Junkman may not be to your taste; he keeps it simple and is a little repetitive (Ok - a lot repetitive). This one is about sealant, he has others that cover most everything about detailing.
Junkman knows a lot of good stuff and he shares it. That's where I learned most of what I know about detailing.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
I know there is better stuff and better technique out there but I still use the Maguires 3 step products and apply and remove them by hand. I start with a good wash and then a very thorough clay bar with Maguires Quik Detailer spray. Then it's the 3 step liquid rubbing compound (no, it's not super abrasive like the paste stuff but use a fairly light hand depending on how bad the surface scratches are), followed by the liquid polish and carnuba wax. Be warned, a finished surface will magnify the scratches and other imperfections that don't come out, especially on darker paints. I do it twice a year, even on my hashed paint. It keeps it looking as good as possible but, more importantly, it protects the paint that's left from the torture I put it through on a regular basis (not to mention the blast furnace I live in during the summer months). And the super smooth surface helps to keep the branches I'm constantly driving through from getting a deeper bite on the paint so it helps keep the scratches minor for the most part.

·
Gone but not forgotten Member
5,729 Posts
Zaino Brothers is what a lot of us switched to.

·
Registered
592 Posts
man that Junkman guy... if he didn't repeat himself over and over his videos would be like 4 minutes instead of 45 minutes long
Yeah, I felt the need to point out the repetition when I recommended him. Think of that as the entertainment part. As I recall this is (or was) typical Marine Corps teaching method - keep it simple and say it over and over and over. "Check for breathing; stop the bleeding; protect the wound; treat for shock." has been stuck in my head like a bad jingle from almost 50 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
20,005 Posts
Yeah, I felt the need to point out the repetition when I recommended him. Think of that as the entertainment part. As I recall this is (or was) typical Marine Corps teaching method - keep it simple and say it over and over and over. "Check for breathing; stop the bleeding; protect the wound; treat for shock." has been stuck in my head like a bad jingle from almost 50 years ago.
Repetition. I don't remember much of the training I had in the Corps but I did learn quite a few useful things that I still use to this day. Junkman is a highly motivated and truly dedicated Marine vet.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I've had my truck for over 1.5 years now so I figured it's time to claybar and wax the exterior... she sits outside a lot

I just want to use some popular products that's available (prefer from Amazon since I'm impatient LOL)... so what are you guys/gals using these days?
It depends on the level of "clean" you are looking for. If going all out, which I would on darker colors and our soft paint outside, expect to spend many hours applying in stages(oxidation removal, paint correction, polish, sealant and/or wax).

You probably have a generous amount of oxidation and dirt accumulation. You can get by cleaning by hand, but is so much easier with ROP to get through the layers.

There are so many products out there - can't go wrong with Meguiars which is fairly cheap(I use Chemical Guys and Meguiars these days) and about $40. I'd start with a medium clay bar but for later clay bar needs can get by using a Nanoskin Pad(can just wash off if dropped unlike clay).

With a ROP: M105, M205, NXT Synth Wax

Without a ROP: Compound, Polish, Any wax w/UV protectant

Maintain all that work with a wash and quick detailer with UV protectant once or twice a month until the next deep cleaning(2x/year works).

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It depends on the level of "clean" you are looking for. If going all out, which I would on darker colors and our soft paint outside, expect to spend many hours applying in stages(oxidation removal, paint correction, polish, sealant and/or wax).

You probably have a generous amount of oxidation and dirt accumulation. You can get by cleaning by hand, but is so much easier with ROP to get through the layers.

There are so many products out there - can't go wrong with Meguiars which is fairly cheap(I use Chemical Guys and Meguiars these days) and about $40. I'd start with a medium clay bar but for later clay bar needs can get by using a Nanoskin Pad(can just wash off if dropped unlike clay).

With a ROP: M105, M205, NXT Synth Wax

Without a ROP: Compound, Polish, Any wax w/UV protectant

Maintain all that work with a wash and quick detailer with UV protectant once or twice a month until the next deep cleaning(2x/year works).
Thanks for the suggestions... all Amazon Prime too haha ::grin::

1 - 20 of 29 Posts