Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The stock stereo sucked. It was ugly, and didn't have Sat radio, bluetooth, aux input or iPod controls. On the advice of a friend, who put a similar model in his '08 Xterra, I found a great choice that looks very OEM. I ordered it through Crutchfield (who said it wouldn't fit lol) so I got all of the necessary adapters for free, along with free shipping and great tech support. Surprisingly, I didn't need the tech support, everything went really smoothly and it looks great and very OEM.

Before:

After:

Lol, during:

Then I forgot I was taking pics and didn't take pics of the rest till the final product. The bluetooth mic is above the rear view mirror and the USB input is in the lower glove box.

I don't have any leftover screws or broken/damaged parts. I can't believe how well the install went. I've installed a lot of car stereos over the years, but this one definitely went the smoothest that I can recall.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I getting ready to put a Pioneer DD (AVIC-x710BT) in my 2010 LE. I have all the needed parts, but looking at the Metra Kit, it appears that there is quite a gap btw the trim ring and the stereo face. Are you happy with how the trim rings looks (and the fit)? Your install looks good and the illumination color match (amber) appears good as well.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't be happy with it if there was a bad gap. It looks good in person. I do wish that the trim ring was a little bit better quality plastic, but that's something that only someone like me (very detail oriented) would notice. I've shown it to quite a few people and gotten nothing but "It looks factory".

It looks MUCH better than the shitty looking stock stereo. Sounds a lot better too and has a lot more features.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It does look good. I like it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
A couple of questions re the install process: after removal of the tray and the 3 upper screws, does the front panel pull up and out to remove?; did you have any airbag light or stability control light issues after powering everything back?

There is a guy in CA that does vinyl wraps of all kinds of things (he is big in the Mini crowd, but does all kinds) including interior bits. I wonder if wrapping the metra center section in something like carbon fiber (or aluminum, etc) would look good? (Vinylstyles)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the whole thing pulled out pretty easily.

No airbag, VDC, etc lights.

That might look good, but the Metra piece looks better than the stock piece IMO. I always thought the stock piece looked terrible though.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was playing with the settings last night and I got it sounding surprisingly good with the stock speakers. You can actually hear the stock tweeters now, it has decent range and the the speakers do not sound overpowered at all. The 6x9s will vibrate you pant leg a little bit lol. I've had stereos that sounded better in the past, but I spent a lot more money on them and had a lot more components involved. I'm totally fine with the way this sounds for now.

Also, the blue tooth phone works great. I ran the wires through behind the lower glove box, up the pass side A pillar tucked it through the headliner and mounted it above the rear view mirror. It seems to work well there and you cannot see it unless you are looking for it. :fantastic:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Damn you metra kit looks darker than mine, i have the dark interior and i was a lil disappointed how light the metra kit looked in my truck, fits great though

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks.

I ordered the XM radio tuner for it and I'll be installing that next week when it arrives. I noticed that I installed it wrong and the left side sticks out a hair more than the right. Now that I've noticed that, it bugs me and I'll be fixing that when I install the Sat radio. Easy fix though...

·
Registered
34 Posts
As I examined the Metra pieced a little more closely (installing today, I think...) I agree that the texture is pretty good (actually looks like my dash surround of my BMW). The thing is the trim ring. It is glossy plastic and shows the tabs and irregularity of a "cheap piece". I fixed the appearance by spraying a couple of coats of black "plastic coat" on it. It now matches the rest of the piece very well (matte finish). I will post pix when I am done (much later today...)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a good idea. I totally agree on the trim ring. It lets down the quality of the rest of the kit.

Post pics please, I may follow your lead.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Install completed yesterday (including making all the harness connections before hand), it took ~6 hours working carefully. There were a whole lot of connections to make (XM module, HF microphone, XM antenna, GPS antenna, IPOD cable, yada yada...) that required taking off a-pillar panels and fishing wires (I am glad I decided against the Blauplunkt Sub I had or there would have been more!). One really nice thing is that there is a lot of open space behind the center stack below the climate control (I put the xm module there in addition to the excess cables).

Completed everything and reattached the battery cable and whoa-everything worked perfectly-no flashing lights, etc. The unit is great-I highly recommend (Pioneer AVIC-x-710BT). Pictures tomorrow. Great screen and feature and pretty good sound thru the stock speakers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here are some shots:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I had not adjusted the color of the controls in the above, but I have since and they are a pretty good amber match. The features and sound are really very advanced and the ipod interface is great with voice control as well. I highly recommend the Pioneer units (I found out after I purchased this one, that there is a $200 rebate for the 910 and if you buy at Sonicelectronix the 910 is actually cheaper than the 710 after rebate!).

The install is not hard, just tedious. And, I cannot emphasize enough that you absolutely should use plastic panel tools-they make the job of removing plastic panels worry free.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I added XM Sat Radio, painted the trim ring, and repositioned it in the dash this evening. Its more flush in the dash and looks a lot better IMO.

I also somehow gained a flashing airbag light. :crikey: Hopefully, it will go away after driving it for a while like a few have reported...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Airbag light is off! It was actually pretty easy, I printed out instructions on how to reset it from another thread on here. :fantastic:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am glad all is well. Where did you put you sat radio module (I put mine behind the climate control area and secured it with large zip ties after padding with foam to eliminate any rattling).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts