Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this problem for a while now, but its rally starting to bug me. When ever i take off in first gear i get this big vibration and clicking/clanking coming from my: drive shaft? Differential?. When i turn right from a dead stop its even worse! and also when i down shift from 4th into 3rd i get this grinding noise (only when im off the throttle). I have tried figuring out what it is, but no luck.
anyone have this?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
could be alot of things. check your tierod balljoints, U-joints, leafspring mounting bolts, Ubolts, driveshaft/carrier bearing.

on sunday I'm going spend a few hours looking over every little squeak on my truck. I've allready ordered new tierod ends, brake shims for the nissan pads, stillen rotors, u-joints, etc.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this might sound stupid, but i can turn my drive shaft by hand clockwise-counter clockwise. It has 1/4 inch of play. Can you do this too?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
we have different transmissions and rear axles but mine defitnly does not do that. theres defitnly play in mine, but not a 1/4". take a close look at the ujoint i bet thats your problem. I'm replacing mine regardless because I just hit 60k. Auto zone sells them cheap.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would agree that the U-joints are the first place to start. I am not sure thou if Sly has U-joints or the CV style ones.
this is me.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Yup, standard U-joint. It probably a good place to start and if that doesn't fix your issue, then atleast you have new U-joints with Zerk fittings so that you can actually grease them unlike the non-greasible OEM ones.

Also, I am not sure how much lift you have in the rear but it might be worth getting the drop bracket for you driveshaft. If it is at an extreme angle, it may be wearing out U-joint pre-maturely.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, standard U-joint. It probably a good place to start and if that doesn't fix your issue, then atleast you have new U-joints with Zerk fittings so that you can actually grease them unlike the non-greasible OEM ones.

Also, I am not sure how much lift you have in the rear but it might be worth getting the drop bracket for you driveshaft. If it is at an extreme angle, it may be wearing out U-joint pre-maturely.
I have never heard of that. Sounds legit. where can i pick one up?

·
Registered
571 Posts
prg sells them, carrier bearing drop bracket

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yeah its pretty rare for a 2wd frontier to a carrier drop. Pro2x has alot of lift in the rear. Fix the noise first and then decide.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealer Tomorrow at 9 a.m. Back to the doctor! Hopefully its covered.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was shocked when i picked my truck up today... I look under the truck, and i find this!

YES. all covered under warranty. My drive shaft has no more play, however I still have the vibration from the rear end.... Im thinking U joints. Should I even bother taking it in? Or be happy with my New axle, and change the U joints myself....

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: Im driving, and i hear a squealing all of a sudden. I pull over, look under my truck, and see that a bolt from my caliper is missing, and the other on is loose. Im assuming the techs at Torre nissan didnt torque down my rear right caliper. Back to the doctor at 7 a.m this morning.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Well, the new rear is nice but I wonder what caused it to start to fail?

The nissan U-joints are crap. They do not have zerk fittings and will eventually fail due to enviromental exposure. Since the truck it going back to the dealer, you may mention the U-joints but most likely, they will want to change the entire driveshaft because they don't trust their techs to change just the U-joint. If they do want to change the joint thou, you may talk them into using a set from Napa that has the zerks. Nizmut has done this as well as some others.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All i have to say is ****. Removing my U joints took me 3 hours! It was a pian. luckily They had my u joints in stock at napa. I got the ones with Zerk fittings. I didnt even bother trying to install them. Just took it to a place near my house about 10 minutes ago. Should be ready by 2. Hopefully this solves my vibration... If not, my next step would be a carrier bearing drop.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
keep us updated... how much was the install. Cant beleive they gave you a new axle, did they ever say what was wrong with the old one?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope. they didnt say anything... They are charging me an hour of labor. which is $98.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
So what was wrong with the rear end that required replacement? Or did they even tell you?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So what was wrong with the rear end that required replacement? Or did they even tell you?
They didnt even tell me... They just replaced it. Im sure it was torn up inside though

FAIL. U joints didnt solve the problem.... Im thinking its because i have too much lift in the back now, but i dont know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts