Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I been meaning to ask. Is the kit bumped and strapped?
B9AAE070-09CF-4E44-BA57-62FE2AD2C49B.jpeg

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
You are the same as a Titan swap. 6” wider total. Not per side!

36 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Bypass shocks are extremely noisy. I have the CJD kit you are talking about with twin tube bypasses. Exhaust noise is one thing, but the noise emitting from bypass shocks when they compress at every bump can get old quick for a daily. Thankfully mine is not...

I have a 16x2.5" bypass. Any brand should be fine as long as you get the proper length shock. You can always get them tuned after installing them. King, radflo, etc. Install will vary depending on the fab shop you go to and their labor rate, but expect upwards of $1-2.5K for everything.

The kit, though I'm not familiar with the 4WD version, is going on my truck this month. And the advertised 14" of travel is indeed a frontier number as well with the custom shock hoops and relocation of the coilover.

Theres alot more info on my build page about the CJDRacing setup:
That looks awesome! My truck will just be for fun; car for daily driver. Any chance you could record the bypass noise level from inside the truck?

Showed my wife a few more videos that didn't sound as loud, and she seemed ok with it. I'm trying to find someone somewhat locally that will let me (us) check it out.
Worst case immediate scenario, I end up with smooth shocks piggyback and maybe upgrade to bypass shocks in 1-2 years. An Alaska trip is on the bucket list because
driving on Knik Glacier seems amazing. That's 3,000 miles each way, and won't be an annual thing. For trips without an off roading intent, the Forester will be the primary choice.

There is a big OHV park within 30-40 minutes of me, Nevada and Tahoe within 2 hours, Pismo abou 5hr, then Death Valley and Indio are about 6-8 hours away. I cant wait to get set up.

36 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
This thing is going to be a monster. Looking forward to following this build!

Sounds like you're getting into a lot for your first off-roader build, but if you have enough time, patience, and money I'm sure it will turn out great :D
Thanks! I've actually been narrowing down trucks and intended purpose for about 8 months.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
The truck is going through repairs after the NORRA race.
Mine is loud because it transfers from the bedcage to the roll cage. We wear helmets with intercom systems because of all the noise.
We just decided to race our ten car at the Rage at the River”.
Entered today , hotel reservations, logistic.
Lot’s of texting!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
The shocks that go on the front won’t use bypass shocks if you are 4x4. No room.

36 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The truck is going through repairscaftervthe NORRA race.
Mine is loud because of it transfer from the bedsage to the roll cage. We wear helmets with intercom systems because of all the noise.
We just decided to race our ten car at the Rage at the River”.
Entered today , hotel reservations, logistic.
Lot’s of texting!
Yeah it's hard for me to find any non-race trucks without bypass shocks and inside sound. Good luck on the race. Do you have an IG to follow along?

36 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The shocks that go on the front won’t use bypass shocks if you are 4x4. No room.
Just focusing on the rear for bypass shocks. @CJD Racing helped me select the Radflo 2.5s with 10" travel for the LT Titan kit in the front.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
You only need a little over a 5” travel shocks with those arms.
Our race number is 1027. You might be able to monitor us at The SNORE website.
Two days,Saturday and Sunday.

36 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
You only little over a 5” travel shock with those arms.
really? Can you explain your reasoning/experience?

CJD/Michael and Dirt King Fabrication both offer Titan swaps they say extend 3" per side, and offer a Titan Long Travel kit they say extend to 6" per side. Hopefully @CJD Racing can chime in, since I'm clearly a noob.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
If they offer a 6” over stock per side then yes. Much longer shock is needed.
I ran a PRG Titan Control arm. 3” over stock Frontier. I ran a Fox 2.5 reservoir shock. Total travel was 5.375” The shock was for Titans. I added the reservoirs. I still have these , with 650lb Eibach Springs.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
How much is that 12” long travel kit?
Has to be expensive. Both upper and lower control arms, spindles, tie rods, axles!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
For what you told me you are planning to do with the truck, you are way over kill!

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Have you considered the bed space being taken up by the shocks. Seems like for an overland rig your going to want that bed space.
I'd pass on the by pass and just get some reservoir shocks.

36 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Have you considered the bed space being taken up by the shocks. Seems like for an overland rig your going to want that bed space.
I'd pass on the by pass and just get some reservoir shocks.
I have zero intention or interest in camping in my truck/overlanding.
Not will I be towing or hauling.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sounds like you don’t need bypass shocks for the front or rear application based on what you want to be doing. “Prerunning” as youre describing it is one thing, and having a good setup wouldn’t hurt. But it’s overkill as others have mentioned for what it sounds like you’re going to do.

If you go with the rear underleaf kit, a simple set of smooth body shocks would be fine and not as noisy for your long trips. You’d still have to cut into the bed if you get the bed cage, but the cage can be made to minimize the bed space lost. My cage still allows me to transport almost 3/4 of my bed full, and that’s with dual spares cut into the bed.

The front shouldn’t be as noisy assuming you’re just getting coilovers with the long travel kit and not both a coilover and a bypass. If you’re not planning on jumping it, even hydraulic bumpstops are going to be overkill.

I ran my mid travel kit for 2 years with some basic poly bumpstops and it performed great. If you’re trying to build a whoop eater and huck monster then sure, get the latter of the 2. But I’d suggest reinforcing the engine bay, caging the interior, and trussing the rear axle before you get hurt or destroy the truck.

Last piece of advise, this whole “buy once cry once” logic is great and all, but seeing as you’re new to this, don’t worry about that so much. Parts can always be sold, upgraded, rebuilt, etc. Especially in the off-road community. Many prerunners are built using old parts from trophy trucks for example. Don’t feel like you need to go all out on your first off-road build. Take your time and have fun with it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
All good advise. Unless you link the truck. It will never be a ‘whoop eater’.
You will have to slow down and ride the whoops.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts