Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to add this, but not sure it would look good with the mudguards installed. Anyone done this to their truck? I found a universal application from TFP. Only pics I can find are on vehicles with no mudguards.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
first off, no it would not look good since you will have to stop at the mudguards and it would look unfinished.

second, i personally think you are better off without this mod and save your money for something else....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely an acquired taste. I remember it used to be an option on a lot of older cars. It is definitely out of style nowadays, but I would like to go a bit retro with my exterior mods. Now, just gotta find some wood panels....

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
yes it definitely is. although to be honest wood paneling and chrome wheelwell trim were from a different era. so i guess you'll have to choose one or the other.

however, may i suggest this to be your inspiration fro retro? polished wheels, white letters, and a nissan stripe on the bottom?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No way panelling is goin on the truck, was just kiddin :) Thanks for the pics! I did see the chrome trim pic in my research. Main concern is the mudguards botching up the lines. Guess I could go w chrome mudguards but that may be overkill. Kinda looking for 15-20 year old look, not so much 30 year old look. That Datsun is a blast from the past for sure.

edit: after some snooping around it seems all the early 90s Nissans had black fender flares...interesting

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
yes

this is a special edition truck by the way, the original nissan desert runner. this is the stock configuration paint job light bar and all

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I remember those 3-spoke wheels on that desert runner looked so futuristic and badass when I first saw them. They looked cool on the Pathfinders of the time too.

Sweet truck.

-Al

PS: Nothing matches chrome fender trim like some chrome curb feelers.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I remember those 3-spoke wheels on that desert runner looked so futuristic and badass when I first saw them. They looked cool on the Pathfinders of the time too.

Sweet truck.

-Al

PS: Nothing matches chrome fender trim like some chrome curb feelers.
To top things off you cant go wrong with some universal buick style portholes for the fenders, chrome spinner wheel covers, and a spoiler...:laugh:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Definitely an acquired taste. I remember it used to be an option on a lot of older cars. It is definitely out of style nowadays, but I would like to go a bit retro with my exterior mods. Now, just gotta find some wood panels....
You can get that wood from JC Whitney!

Tried to turn it in to a Bimmer and failed miserably!

yes it definitely is. although to be honest wood paneling and chrome wheelwell trim were from a different era. so i guess you'll have to choose one or the other.

however, may i suggest this to be your inspiration fro retro? polished wheels, white letters, and a nissan stripe on the bottom?
...and just think, he is our little grand son, how we have grown!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
...and just think, he is our little grand son, how we have grown!
Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, but wouldn't he be our grandfather?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Want to add this, but not sure it would look good with the mudguards installed. Anyone done this to their truck? I found a universal application from TFP. Only pics I can find are on vehicles with no mudguards.
I don't have mudgaurds on my Frontier, but I did put those FTP stainless fender trims on there and they look good. IMO it would be easy to adjust for mudguards.

Bottom line: it's YOUR truck, fix it the way YOU like.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I like the trim, Jag. Not too over the top. How was the installation?

edit: Actually I like the mirrors and handles as well, would really liven up my dark truck. give me the low down on what parts you used if you don't mind. Also, if you add a stubby chrome antenna I bet that would look good.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I like the trim, Jag. Not too over the top. How was the installation?

edit: Actually I like the mirrors and handles as well, would really liven up my dark truck. give me the low down on what parts you used if you don't mind. Also, if you add a stubby chrome antenna I bet that would look good.
The stainless trims were a piece of cake, about an hour to install. I got the mirror cover and handle covers as a package deal on ebay. They come with 3M tape, but I used Loctite Stick n' seal glue as the tape wouldn't hold.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Zachopp's truck has the trim installed with mudguards and it looks nice. The lines are fairly cohesive and I will probably do it. Waiting to get handles and mirrors so I can do it all at once. Now, if the weather would stop being so extreme I could make some headway on some personalization for my truck! I may hold off on the chrome until summer/spring and do foglights first.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts