Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know lots of people love to add chrome to their trucks, but to be honest, thats not for me. I actually don't like chrome at all. So, after a lot of deliberating, I opted to go the blackout route and try my luck with plasti-dip.

Im not posting a tutorial here, just showing off the look. In case anyone is interested in doing something similar, I'm posting links to some youtube videos that helped me. I'd like to give credit where credit is due.

Video on how to remove the front grill:
https://youtu.be/9LXbo_0yEkY

How to plasti-dip emblems:
https://youtu.be/Is2NM4_VJ04

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First step is removing the grill and taping off the areas around the emblems. Tape, easy. Removing the grill, should have been easy. Trouble is, I have grille guards on the front... Had to remove that before i could get the grill off. Separated the emblem and the chrome from the main part of the grill to avoid having to resort to tape.
IMG_9026b.jpg

IMG_9031b.jpg

IMG_9029b.jpg

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The finished product came out pretty nice. Only downside is that i could have put a few more layers on the emblems. Peeling the overspray was tricky because it was so thin. Good thing is that its easy to remove and redo if it starts to peel.

Like I said, this isn't a tutorial so I didn't post a ton of pics of the progress. I posted links that helped me so you guys can see. Next step, I'm probably gonna do the rear bumper. Since I have the rear sonar, theres a bit more involved that if it was the standard bumper, so that'll probably be an all day thing for me.
IMG_9038b.JPG

IMG_9044b.JPG

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,580 Posts
Looks good.

Have you considered putting a clear or something over the Plastidip? It will fade over time - my wheels are looking grey'ish' and not black anymore.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually did put some on the emblems. Just not on the grill. (in retrospect, not sure why) Plasti-dip has a glossy clear coat that you can use on surfaces that have plasti-dip on them. If you look at the pic of the front grill, you can see the emblem has a slight gloss to it that the grill doesn't.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I was not an old man, I would be all over that blacked out grill mod. However....I'm old and I can't see the grill when I driving so I'll pass.

Btw, it looks great

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,580 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,598 Posts
Just wondering if people still have things"black chromed". Years ago a friend of mine's dad had everything on his Porsche"black chromed". Looked shiny black but translucent.Beautiful finish.
Sorry for high jacking the thread.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just wondering if people still have things"black chromed". Years ago a friend of mine's dad had everything on his Porsche"black chromed". Looked shiny black but translucent.Beautiful finish.
is that widely available? ive seen similar finished and like the way it looks. just heard in a random conversation it was expensive and wasnt really available outside of the western united states. cant validate if any of that is true, ive never done any research on it

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I tried painting mine a couple times, eventually I gave up and hit it with Rustolium bedliner. It's hardly for everyone, but it worked for me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A co-worker of mine bought a used camaro a few months ago. The rims were dipped black, and were starting to peel so he decided to just take it all off. Underneath, he found a gunmetal chrome which looked much better than the flat black did. Not sure why someone would cover that up really.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I actually did put some on the emblems. Just not on the grill. (in retrospect, not sure why) Plasti-dip has a glossy clear coat that you can use on surfaces that have plasti-dip on them. If you look at the pic of the front grill, you can see the emblem has a slight gloss to it that the grill doesn't.
I have not tried this. But I was just speculating that you would be better off just leaving it the way you have it. Seems to me that way, as it gets dinged up along the way it would be easy to touch up in a way no one would notice?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Made a modification to the emblems. Black on Arctic Blue Metallic is just too dark. As is black on black. So I went with a gunmetal gray for the emblems, and I'm happy with the results. Gotta do the rest of the grill next. Did the rear emblems, gotta wait till better daylight to get a decent pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Made a modification to the emblems. Black on Arctic Blue Metallic is just too dark. As is black on black. So I went with a gunmetal gray for the emblems, and I'm happy with the results. Gotta do the rest of the grill next. Did the rear emblems, gotta wait till better daylight to get a decent pic.
Always thought about dipping the grille, but never actually did it. Nice job BTW.

Is it me or does the emblem look like it's unfinished now? Like the letters should have contrast or something. I dunno.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Always thought about dipping the grille, but never actually did it. Nice job BTW.

Is it me or does the emblem look like it's unfinished now? Like the letters should have contrast or something. I dunno.
Im gonna get some black paint to do the letters on both the front and back emblems. that way there is a contrast.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Really like how the emblem came out. Did you spray a glossy clear over it? Maybe it's the lighting, but it looks much lighter than the gunmetal gray I tested over the weekend.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Definitely the lighting. I was gonna apply the clear coat after I paint the lettering black.

Also check out my build thread where I'm posting new updates. I did the tailgate emblems as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Love the look - good job! I'm not a fan of chrome myself, but to each their own. I saw a pic of a Frontier that had been painted "Black Chrome" once - absolutely the most beautiful finish I've ever seen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts