Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How dd you determine what coil spring tate to
Use?
It was a pain when I started building my truck.
There were no websites like this or was not aware of any.

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
I think a lot of it starts with knowing the weight of your truck at each corner.
I agree, meaning you'll first need a set of race scales which are $$$ for a typical garage mechanic.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Or go to a salvage yard when the vehicle is principally complete and pay them a few bucks to use their scale for about 15 minutes or so, placing one wheel at a time on the scale. I did that many yrs ago when SCCA racing my 83 Camaro, got a baseline weight of the whole car, then did one wheel at a time and tallied the results. The four quarter readings came up pretty close to the measured total, good enough for gov't work, and allowed me to check my frt to rear weight ratio quite closely. The fella running the scale chuckled a bit at first when I explained what I wanted to do, he was used to weighing semis loaded with 40+k pounds of scrap iron.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That is how I first started figuring things out. Knowing the corner weights.
Friend’s( my brake and alignment guy) step son also has a shop but caters more to sports car.
He had the scales and was a able to give
me a lot of information. Total weight, corner weight, center of balance, etc. Of course this is when it was bone stock.
Still I did not know what the what the stock spring rate was.
Took some figuring , set up butu got it close.
This was 12 years ago.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made a lot of mistakes along the way.
The corner weught was around 1300 lbs.
Could not find a 1300 lb. spring!! Lol.
That was when I learned , motion ratio, wheel rate , as well as how to detrrmine the unsprung weight.
After , I figured iut a crude method of finding the stock spring rate.
Anybody have an idea how?
I have changed springs multiple times due to changes in the truck but that is how I got started.
Just like talking suspensions and good mental exercise.
Lol.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Made a lot of mistakes along the way.
The corner weught was around 1300 lbs.
Could not find a 1300 lb. spring!! Lol.
That was when I learned , motion ratio, wheel rate , as well as how to detrrmine the unsprung weight.
After , I figured iut a crude method of finding the stock spring rate.
Anybody have an idea how?
I have changed springs multiple times due to changes in the truck but that is how I got started.
Just like talking suspensions and good mental exercise.
Lol.
I did learn to do these calculations in my "vehicle dynamics" course. But that was a long time ago. Seems like some time spent on the internet will learn you. What about vendors. Don't you use KING shocks. Seems like they would have an idea. Have you called and talked with Greg of PRG. I am sure he can set you straight.

Finally I see that almost all aftermarket coil overs have spring rates between 500-700 in 50 rate increments. What are you currently running. How does it feel? Adjust from there.

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
Did anyone look at that first link I posted? Seems like a good place to start

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It is a lot easier now to figure out spring rates. 12 years ago I was unaware of any calculators or vendors where I vould get this information,
No, I run Fox shocks.
I started off using 600lb. springs.
As my build kept adding weight ,650 lbs.
Last spring chsnge was done by Ben of Wright fabrication when I went spring under as well as revalving the shocks. He increased the spring rate rate but not sure how much.
. Suspension is close to being right on now.
Tom and Ben.
Ben said that the truck will make a great pre runner/ chase vehicle since I am partners in a new10 car.
OR! a better race truck with some chsnges ! Hmmm?
5D4E45F8-4341-4104-8145-3F776CBE1FDF.jpeg

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sounds like you should look into Carroll Smith books. Tune to win, Prepare to win. There's a few of them. Old school, but the math and science is still spot on. I'm sure they would be right up the intellectual machinest avenue. They are based on formula car stuff but it would all transfers over. @raine's link will get you short term. the books will teach you.
Smartass answer: My race engineer gives me a set-up sheet. I have one of my guys pull the shocks, springs, packers, bump rubbers and puts them all together.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, a person, who likes figuring out things for themselves rather than taking someone eles’s word.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Measured distance at ride height.
Put the truck on a lift and measured the droop.
Now I kbew how much the spring compressed.
Cab’t remember exaxtly, 2.3?
Corner weight was around 1350.
Took awhile plugging in different weights but came out 590.
590 x 2.3 =1357.
Can’t remember if I then calculated wheel rate or before.
These numbers are just an example and not the actual numbers.
Make sense? I probably forgot somthing, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Frontier510, +1 on Carroll Smith. Great stuff, helped me bunches when setting up my Camaro for SCCA road course. Still have all of them, well nigh on 30 yrs later.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts