Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was never a fan of snorkels, but due to the high volume of dust at Ka’alu’alu, I wanted to give my air intake a chance to breathe fresh air. This camping spot is notorious for clogging air filters. The dust is very fine and manages to get into everything.

I purchased two directly from China via Alibaba in hopes I can try to make one fit on my 2006 Xterra as well, but looks like that won’t happen.

Here are some install photos. I am surprised at the build quality of this “kit.”

Had to cut this section of the factory air box.

Template is aligned. Need to triple-check the alignment of the inner duct piece because that is a solid piece and is not forgiving to bending.

Holes drilled. Some needed to be increased in size due to offset, etc. Hole saw size is 3-5/8”.

Snorkel test fitted.

That’s the inner duct piece that is peeping through the fender and will mate up with the stock air box.

The stock air box piece on the right and the inner duct piece modified to fit.

I had to increase the ID of the inner duct piece by 1/8” to fit over the stock air box piece.

The L bracket riveted in place. I used RTV on both sides of the rivets/L bracket to prevent leaks.

There was a rubber S-bend that came with the kit but was not used. Not sure if it is for the 2.5L diesel Navara?

The hose clamps that came with this kit is terrible, very thin material. The plastic itself seems really good and durable. Some fasteners were stainless, three rivets was aluminum, three bolts that go on the A-pillar was black-painted steel. The L-bracket was black painted mild steel.

There was no instructions at all.

I did paint the holes that I drilled into the fender to prevent rust, and used large neoprene washers on the M8 studs (that mount the snorkel to the fender) in hopes of preventing water from reaching the painted mounting holes.

Total install time was about 2 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need to replace the sheet metal screws used to hold the screen on the intake. They started rusting only a week after they were installed. Used stainless screws in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now the Chinese hose clamp developed rust.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was never a fan of snorkels, but due to the high volume of dust at Ka’alu’alu, I wanted to give my air intake a chance to breathe fresh air. This camping spot is notorious for clogging air filters. The dust is very fine and manages to get into everything.

I purchased two directly from China via Alibaba in hopes I can try to make one fit on my 2006 Xterra as well, but looks like that won’t happen.

Here are some install photos. I am surprised at the build quality of this “kit.”

Had to cut this section of the factory air box.

Template is aligned. Need to triple-check the alignment of the inner duct piece because that is a solid piece and is not forgiving to bending.

Holes drilled. Some needed to be increased in size due to offset, etc. Hole saw size is 3-5/8”.

Snorkel test fitted.

That’s the inner duct piece that is peeping through the fender and will mate up with the stock air box.

The stock air box piece on the right and the inner duct piece modified to fit.

I had to increase the ID of the inner duct piece by 1/8” to fit over the stock air box piece.

The L bracket riveted in place. I used RTV on both sides of the rivets/L bracket to prevent leaks.

There was a rubber S-bend that came with the kit but was not used. Not sure if it is for the 2.5L diesel Navara?

The hose clamps that came with this kit is terrible, very thin material. The plastic itself seems really good and durable. Some fasteners were stainless, three rivets was aluminum, three bolts that go on the A-pillar was black-painted steel. The L-bracket was black painted mild steel.

There was no instructions at all.

I did paint the holes that I drilled into the fender to prevent rust, and used large neoprene washers on the M8 studs (that mount the snorkel to the fender) in hopes of preventing water from reaching the painted mounting holes.

Total install time was about 2 hours.

Nice work. When you marked the stud hokes through the template, did you mark parallel to the ground? Or at a slight downward angle? I just got this kit and a few of the stud template holes are an inch or so off the fenderwhem the templte is taped in place which is why I ask. Thanks!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice work. When you marked the stud hokes through the template, did you mark parallel to the ground? Or at a slight downward angle? I just got this kit and a few of the stud template holes are an inch or so off the fenderwhem the templte is taped in place which is why I ask. Thanks!!
I honestly don't remember, as it was 2 years ago. I would mark the template parallel to the ground, and then I would insert the studs into the snorkel and see if you can line up the snorkel onto the truck and see if they will be about right or not.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Chinese fasteners , I change. all.
Where is the dirt entering?
I blocked off the cold air intake.
plugged air filter with silt coming in through fender well and CAI.
Fine now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts