Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Checking out the Competition

5K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  reidcc 
#1 ·
I've owned my 06 Crew Cab SE since new in 06. My relationship with it has come full circle- as when new I loved it- in mid years I swore I'd not buy another, and now and even last 2 - 3 yrs, I love it warts and all...comfortable like an old pair of jeans.

I really want a 6 foot bed for safer transport of kayaks, better fit of bikes, plus the ability to haul my garden tractor. Unfortunately- I also want the 4 full doors for those time I've gotta have adults in back seat. My wife has an Xterra which is tougher to get in and out of back seat, and my other vehicle is a 2 door Accord.
My truck has had some "challenges" of late. My radiator support is all rusted out and front end squeaking and sounding loose and horrible like marbles. The front end has "fluttered" over expansion joints for a number of years- even though I've changed out struts and lower ball joints.

The last couple of days much of the noise from front end has subsided, and I also thought about a truck I'd seen at a local dealer- a 2016 used Colorado Z71. Of course its my favorite color, and its loaded, has 20K miles(yikes). Unfortunately it also only the extended cab!!! They wanted $30G for the Colorado. While I could not sit in the back- if I liked the truck enough- we would just need to deal with the fact carrying others would be tough.

They were very fair in ACV of my truck, as I have a number of scratches and dings, but also only 107K and they in essence would put $8K into my truck and then I make my best deal from there- regardless of what I look at.

My first impressions that were good- It was quiet, it has a decent ride, and had that truck feel of sitting high. I tried to discount the differences in switch, feel, location or control between the two vehicles- as these would be obvious differences, and would get used to.
My unfavorable impression- as a trait of the truck- was it did not have throttle response or the pulling power that our VQ 4.0's have, unless I mashed it- and it made a lot of noise. The truck also had a fair amount of scratches in it- you could only see up close, and the tires were more than half worn... I would want them changed before Winter. They were Goodyear Wrangler with Kevlar.

I would still consider the vehicle, but in the end I walked without even trying to make a deal. I still wanted to find a Crew Cab 6 foot Frontier with VTP. However- tonight as I was driving the Fronty, it dawned on me that it felt I had more room to stretch out while driving, and it felt like a bigger vehicle. Warts and all- it gave me that comfortable jeans feeling...none of my previous vehicles ever gave me that impression.

I now need to re-think what is really important to me in a new truck. Yes- I want the 6 foot bed, but is the Crew Cab REALLY a necessity for me. Can I get by with an extended Cab Fronty which are much easier to find than a CCLB. Heck- I could even opt for a PRO-4X now if the extended cab would work for me.

Of course- maybe I should just put some $$$ in my truck and give me some time to think this one through. I can't wait too long though...the 2018 Fronty's look pretty FUGLY- at least from the pics we've seen here.

Chris

See less See more
#10 ·
I'd like to know where and/or how you would go about doing this? I researched for my truck for just about 2 years to find a place and there was not a single dealership in Florida or S.Georgia who admitted they had the ability to "order" something from the factory any longer. Everywhere I went it was the exact same story, we can only get what the factory delivers to us these days. The dealership I went with had to do a vehicle swap with another one 2 states away to get my truck to me with as near to what I wanted as I could. Sadly no extended cab + full bed, and no moonroof package on a standard transmission. :crying:

All I've heard for several years now from everyone, not just Nissan, is the way the assembly lines are run now, the days of getting special ordered vehicles are long since gone. That bugs someone like me who is used to the old way of doing things, pay for what you WANT, not just settle for what's on the lot for the best price which is what younger people today seem to limit their expectations to.

#3 ·
Is the CC a necessity? Simple questions to ask yourself (and some of which I asked myself before I bought mine 2 weeks ago):

1. Do I have kids?
Yes - get a CC
2. Do I carry my buddies, their friends, boyfriends, girlfriends all over the place?
Yes - get a CC and demand on some gas money
3. Do I have to keep stuff in my truck all the time and don't have a tonneau cover?
I coach soccer and need to keep a lot of gear in my truck. My tonneau cover is on order so some of it goes in my back seat if it rains or I'm parked at a hotel overnight. - Get a CC
4. Do you take the boy scout approach of I'd rather have and not need then need and not have?

Good luck on your decision. Sometimes the paid for warts are worth it!!

#5 ·
Thx guys!

Yes- I know there are CCLB's out there in both SV and SL trim. In fact I searched out where a bunch were on the Nissanusa website. Ideally I would love a Pro-4X in a long bed Crew(CCLB)- but they do not make them. I also looked at where a number of King Cabs were- both 2016 and 2017. I did find a few Pro-4X's in KC config. One weird config note- the 2017 KC Pro-4X is actually priced higher that the CCSB Pro-4X. I thought there used to be a $2K price difference between the two with the KC being the cheaper.

I am trying to rationalize getting a KC. It is only my wife and I- my kids are out and moved on. The Crew made sense whenever I had to take my Mom somewhere with us- but now she can't even get into a truck period. So I think I could live with a KC more.

I may go seek out a KC Pro-4X and take one out.

Chris

#16 ·
I agree that if you are even questioning if you want/could live with a KC go with the CC. I personally have both a 2012 Frontier KC SV and a 2016 Colorado CC LT. The KC has the 6ft bed and the Collie has the 5ft bed with a bed extender. You can get the Colorado Z71 4X4 or 4X2 in the CCLB and I have seen several people that have them. The only way that the Collie you looked at had worse towing capacity then your frontier is if you looked at a 4 banger. the V6 has a capacity up to 7000lbs and if you moved into the 2.8l diesel that goes up to 7700lbs. I just tested this out having to tow my Frontier after the third clutch took a crap in 79,000 miles.

Ultimately you need to do what makes you happy, if I was not in a situation where I had needed to get an additional vehicle, I would still be driving my Frontier waiting for Nissan to come out with the diesel engine. Instead my son drives the Frontier (not drives it because of the clutch).

If you have any questions at all about the Colorado I am happy to answer them for you. If you are willing to travel a little bit, you can deal with Chevy dealers in other parts of the country. Also for 2017 the Colorado with the V6 will have an 8 speed transmission.

#7 ·
One of the reasons I didn't buy a Colorado, the salesman pointed to the sticker price, which included a $3,500 Western regional markup and told me that's the price, take it or leave it. Nissan, I paid out the door, with taxes, $1,000 below sticker, with my ext. warranty I paid $1,000 above sticker. I have CCLB with Value Truck. Also, the Colorado in a CC configuration is actually smaller than the Frontier, interior and exterior.

#12 ·
It will be 2 years ago come Jan 2nd that I factory ordered my SV KC 4x2 6-sp. Our local dealership either couldn't or didn't want to order it (or my salesman was a cretin)...so I went a few towns over and another Nissan dealership either could or did order it. 18 weeks for delivery. That was a l-o-n-g agonizing wait.

The one glaring issue that this whole incident revolved around was that NO ONE could tell me that the VTP items were Standard Equipment on 6-sp SVs. I had even called Nissan Corporate HQ. The dealer that ordered my truck verified this using:

https://ppg.nissanproduct.info/

#14 ·
Hey Mods, does this link deserve a sticky somewhere? Fairly detailed model specific info here for all Nissan (and Infiniti) iterations, though it only goes back to 2010.

https://ppg.nissanproduct.info/

Just a thought...:nerd:

#15 ·
Even though I look at the used market, a crew cab was almost a must for me. I have a 2-door car already and regret it everyday. In a perfect world, I would've found a 6-speed, CC, long bed but I don't think they exist. I've had my truck for about 3 months now and I will never want another truck that's not a crew cab unless it's just a winter beater/ work truck.

#23 ·
...I didn't even consider the chevy products even with the diesel engine, I've seen too many chevy's just plain rot away in upstate NY coupled with other reasons for not wanting one...I just hope the diesel engine has success so other manufacturers bring small diesel's to their lines!

#24 · (Edited)
I've been kind of looking at other trucks too.

My next truck I want a bigger bed, at least a 5.5 foot and haul a family comfortably. So it likely has to be a crew cab, unless it's a really comfortable access/double cab.

The ideal truck for me would be four door, long bed mid sized crew cab. Would also consider short bed full size crew cabs and maybe full size double cabs, where the rear passenger door windows roll down.

In some ways I think about how if I got the long bed with the Frontier to start out with, I could have thought about keeping it around for hauling cargo duties and get a family hauler. But I think going the short bed route (due to local availability) worked out for me, since I ran into a couple issues with the length of the current truck, which I think I might be able to accommodate for now.

But I looked at the Colorado briefly, not in person. On paper it looks like it has a lot of what I want and looking for. Here is a thread on the Colorado forums comparing the Colorado to the Frontier, where there are two former (?) clubfrontier members that posted as well, not sure if the other poster on this thread is one of them:

16 Owners, would you buy again? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

Besides having to get over the mental hurdle of buying a GM product and preference to avoid early year in a generation vehicles, there are some small things that kind of has me leaning away from it. Some of it might be not understanding packages and options offered by other manufacturers, especially when it comes to pick ups. But I think Nissan provides some pretty decent options, both standard and in their packages, that has to be added onto other trucks. Such as real privacy glass, bed liner, utilitrack, tie downs, hitch, etc.

Then looking at pictures online, it doesn't look like the under rear seat storage would work for our family in the Colorado. Where we have car seats on both sides of the rear seat. With the Frontier, it's not an issue accessing the underseat storage because there is a gap. Looking at the website, it looks like with the Colorado you have to actually lift up the rear seat to access the storage, so for us would mean having to remove the car seats.

Then for new optioned the way I want it, the Colorado is about the same, maybe only a couple grand difference if that, then a new full size optioned the way I want it. Especially now when a couple of manufacturers are giving back $1500 on their full sizes.

Sat in a Tacoma and didn't like the way my legs were stretched out and feeling further back from the windshield and dashboard. Also it seems to have less legroom in the back then the Frontier. I might go back and check it out again, I really want to like the Tacoma.

Then sat in the rear seats of the a Toyota Tundra double cab. The back seat feels like the back seat of the Frontier crew cab. Where the back seat is straight up and not comfortable. And that's besides the fact that I'm not sure about how high up the vehicle is and the general size of it. Where I don't need all the capabilities it has.

The looks of the new Titan (regular size) is kind of growing on me. But given with the early year issues of the Frontier and some other issues of owners of other Nissans I know, I'd probably wait until a generation has been out for a couple of years before considering it. (this applies to the GM models and the Ridgeline too)

Not trying to act like I'm drinking the Kool Aid or anything but after looking at other trucks I kind of have more appreciation of the Frontie now. If the newer models have all of the early issues resolved, my only real complaint is the real seat comfort, which unfortunately isn't something that can be fixed through mods or anything. Granted I've been driving the Frontier for a while now, so may be biased in opinion about seating position and comfort. And who knows maybe I'll end up giving the Colorado a try when the time comes.

#31 ·
I've been kind of looking at other trucks too.

But I looked at the Colorado briefly, not in person. On paper it looks like it has a lot of what I want and looking for. Here is a thread on the Colorado forums comparing the Colorado to the Frontier, where there are two former (?) clubfrontier members that posted as well, not sure if the other poster on this thread is one of them:

16 Owners, would you buy again? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

Besides having to get over the mental hurdle of buying a GM product and preference to avoid early year in a generation vehicles, there are some small things that kind of has me leaning away from it. Some of it might be not understanding packages and options offered by other manufacturers, especially when it comes to pick ups. But I think Nissan provides some pretty decent options, both standard and in their packages, that has to be added onto other trucks. Such as real privacy glass, bed liner, utilitrack, tie downs, hitch, etc.

Then looking at pictures online, it doesn't look like the under rear seat storage would work for our family in the Colorado. Where we have car seats on both sides of the rear seat. With the Frontier, it's not an issue accessing the underseat storage because there is a gap. Looking at the website, it looks like with the Colorado you have to actually lift up the rear seat to access the storage, so for us would mean having to remove the car seats.

Then for new optioned the way I want it, the Colorado is about the same, maybe only a couple grand difference if that, then a new full size optioned the way I want it. Especially now when a couple of manufacturers are giving back $1500 on their full sizes.
To 100% verify for you, yes you have to lift the rear seat up to access the under seat storage in the Colorado, but it is a 60/40 split seat so you can lift up the driver side and have access to the full area. So while still not ideal for you, you would really only need to remove one of the child seats. Fortunately my kids are way older and have not needed car seats for quite some time now. the jack and associated accessories are also located under the rear seat.

There is no question that Nissan provides more on there trucks for a better price at this point in time. Keep in mind though that the frontier is a quite old design with less technology. When Nissan releases a new design for the US the expectation is that the prices will be somewhat on par with the rest of the class. And as far as the technology goes, I do have to say that the Colorado's is superior to even the 2017 Frontier's. I believe this to be solely because of the old design of the Frontier as the available technology in other Nissan vehicles is right on par with other manufactures.

One of my biggest issues with My Frontier is the horrible turn radius. Now my bigger, longer Colorado does not turn on a dime by any means, but it has a better turn radius then my KC Frontier.

If you are looking at full size, take a look at the Ram, they are making great deals on them. I have a coworker that just picked one up pretty loaded for about $27k.

#34 ·
Colorado ZR2 Offroad is real and coming in 2017

2017 Colorado ZR2: Off-Road Truck | Chevrolet

Check out all the different way you can run the drive train :
Cut pasted from here:
2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Info, Pictures | GM Authority

The ZR2 also features the most sophisticated four-wheel drive system in the segment. With class-exclusive, electronic-locking differentials front and rear and Chevrolet’s AutoTrac transfer case, the ZR2 offers nine drive configurations:

2WD
2WD, locked rear differential
Auto 4WD
Auto 4WD, locked rear differential
4WD Hi, locked transfer case
4WD Hi, locked transfer case and locked rear differential
4WD Lo, locked transfer case
4WD Lo, locked transfer case and locked rear differential
4WD Lo, locked transfer case, locked front and rear differentials

Extensive work was done to integrate the electronic lockers and allow them to seamlessly interact with the traction control, stability control, and hill-descent control. In addition, a new “Off-Road Mode” button, in combination with the traction control switch, allows the anti-lock brakes, traction control, and stability control calibrations to be tailored to different driving conditions. Off-road Mode also alters the throttle progression and shifts calibrations to give the driver better control and responsiveness.

Read more: 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Info, Pictures | GM Authority

#28 ·
Agreed, my Tacoma always exhibited odd noises during cold starts from day 1. A weird rhythmic whining sound sprung up not long before I ditched it for the Frontier. I brought it to the dealer and they told me it was all normal so who knows. I did test drive a current gen 4runner and it's a much more refined ride, however they are overpriced especially the Limited models. Maybe it's because they're still built in Japan? I still stand by what I said earlier, IMO the Frontier is the best mid size truck for your money regardless of how old this platform is. To me that's a good thing anyways, I'll take the fuel economy hit! I don't want any direct injection, cylinder deactivation, turbos, composite/aluminum beds, stop/start technology in my truck lol! Am I missing anything else?

#29 ·
I have test driven the Colorado, Tacoma and Frontier, have read reviews and posts in truck forums, and came to the conclusion the Frontier fits my needs the best. Found a very good end of year price on a silver Pro 4x (non luxury package) So now am a proud owner of a Frontier.

imo, Chevy and Toyota are over priced for what they are offering. Didn't like the Tacoma seating and high rev engine. The Colorado had similar drive characteristics to the Toyota.

The Frontier is a good balance with a proven drive train, and electronic stuff.

#33 ·
I REALLY like the looks of the TRD Off-Road Tacoma Crew Cab Long Bed... I think the best looking CCLB out there. Having said that- I have not driven one. I've been turned off by the composite bed on them- as I am not adverse to having a load of crushed rock, or loam, etc put in the bed of my Fronty. It is factory rhino lined- and I'm not worried about shovels scratching it. I am not sure what this would do to the composite bed of a Tacoma.
I also hear many complaints of the seating position and being low to the floor with feet out stretched. I also understand the discounts off sticker are not as good.

I did not want to like the Colorado! It really took a while for its looks to grow on me. The Crew Cab Short Bed looks good- but won't work for me. the CCLB really looks awkward. The 2016 Extended Cab Z71 I saw used really looks good. The test drive went well, and I like the idea of better interior Technology and electronics. Most magazine tests rated the 3.6 Collie faster than the 4.0 Fronty, with more torque. However- throttle response did not seem to be there on my test ride. It felt very sluggish. It has been sitting for a number of months(since early spring)- maybe stale gas. Maybe I just need to take it out on a nice extended cruise.

I saw some recent photos here of lifted Fronty CCLB's, and they made me reconsider- looking into a Fronty CCLB. I could still use my Pioneer headunit, as well as my Thule roof rack. I could put a 2 x 2 lift in it for not too much coin, but then go bigger on rubber for more aggressive look.

They were gonna put $8K into my truck(ACV- not trade value)- so I could still work a decent deal for year end(gotta get wifes kitchen done though).

Chris

#39 ·
For reference, my second car I owned used in ~1987 (that was purchased new/loaded) in 1978 was a Buick park ave Electra limited v8.

That vehicle was 20 ft long bumper to bumper and had a turn radius of 43.3 ft

The chevy 350 small block v8 was rated for 155 bhp and was rated for 15/22 mpg

...almost 38 years later, sounds a lot like my "new frontier" except for the bhp (stock before it had a GNX turbo/intercooled forced induction fitted to it by my neighbor who restored cars as a weekend hobby) ;)

#40 · (Edited)
#41 ·
Dollar for dollar you get the most value out of the Frontier compared to the others. I do like the Colorado and the Tacoma but when similarly equipped cannot justify buying either one of them.
My 2016 Wrangler is an expensive 4x4 but the one reason I went for it is the value as used vehicle is insane, the dealer wants within 1-2 thousand of what I paid new on their used lot when I bought it.
If any of these trucks could command anywhere near that type of resale value then just maybe I'd bite.
I did very well trading in my 2010 Frontier with 126,000 miles as I got $12,000 dollars which is a little less than what I paid for it new.
As I said if you really want bang for the buck you will not beat the Nissan Frontier which is why I'm on my 5th one currently. It may be long in the tooth but is it that big of a deal?

Clint

#43 ·
I've done a comparison of the Fronty vs. Tacoma vs. Colorado/Canyon. As I pointed out elsewhere, price is the biggest thing, this is also regionally dependent. Here in Colorado, dealers have a take it or leave it approach on truck pricing, with most GM, Ford, Ram and Toyota adding on a "Western Regional Upcharge", essentially extra dealer profit. Prior to buying my Fronty, I had only looked at/sat in the Tacoma, all the GM stuff I had seen was locked up, and dealers were playing the "qualify first" game before letting you drive them. In March 2016, at the Denver Auto show, I had the chance to test drive a Tacoma TRD Pro CCSB and sit in, not drive a Colorado Z71 CCSB. In fact, Chris@HeftyFab was saying that when they bought the Tacoma they are using to build up items for the newest generation, they had to go to Missouri to buy one at a reasonable price, the dealers local to them refused to budge on pricing.

The Tacoma had a nice interior, but I wasn't comfortable with the seating situation, felt very low to the floor. The electronics were nice, all the gee-whiz stuff, but the engine lacked compared to the Fronty, even though it's rated for more HP and TQ. The price was also higher than a similarly equipped Pro-4x.

The Colorado I found to be laughable. The Colorado I sat in was fully loaded Z-71 with diesel and multiple other packages, topping out north of $47,000. I do Uber and Lyft on the weekends, in 1,800 passengers, I've had 5 complain about lack of space in the back of the Fronty. The Colorado, I put the drivers seat where it would be comfortable for me (5'11" 250), while I could get in the backseat, it was very uncomfortable. My wife got behind the wheel and put the seat where it was comfortable for her (5'2", 130), I had plenty of room. With me driving, there is no way it would be good for hauling passengers around. Expedition Portal is doing a long term test, with off-roading and such of a Colorado, they seem to be enamored with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.