Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 06 Crew Cab SE since new in 06. My relationship with it has come full circle- as when new I loved it- in mid years I swore I'd not buy another, and now and even last 2 - 3 yrs, I love it warts and all...comfortable like an old pair of jeans.

I really want a 6 foot bed for safer transport of kayaks, better fit of bikes, plus the ability to haul my garden tractor. Unfortunately- I also want the 4 full doors for those time I've gotta have adults in back seat. My wife has an Xterra which is tougher to get in and out of back seat, and my other vehicle is a 2 door Accord.
My truck has had some "challenges" of late. My radiator support is all rusted out and front end squeaking and sounding loose and horrible like marbles. The front end has "fluttered" over expansion joints for a number of years- even though I've changed out struts and lower ball joints.

The last couple of days much of the noise from front end has subsided, and I also thought about a truck I'd seen at a local dealer- a 2016 used Colorado Z71. Of course its my favorite color, and its loaded, has 20K miles(yikes). Unfortunately it also only the extended cab!!! They wanted $30G for the Colorado. While I could not sit in the back- if I liked the truck enough- we would just need to deal with the fact carrying others would be tough.

They were very fair in ACV of my truck, as I have a number of scratches and dings, but also only 107K and they in essence would put $8K into my truck and then I make my best deal from there- regardless of what I look at.

My first impressions that were good- It was quiet, it has a decent ride, and had that truck feel of sitting high. I tried to discount the differences in switch, feel, location or control between the two vehicles- as these would be obvious differences, and would get used to.
My unfavorable impression- as a trait of the truck- was it did not have throttle response or the pulling power that our VQ 4.0's have, unless I mashed it- and it made a lot of noise. The truck also had a fair amount of scratches in it- you could only see up close, and the tires were more than half worn... I would want them changed before Winter. They were Goodyear Wrangler with Kevlar.

I would still consider the vehicle, but in the end I walked without even trying to make a deal. I still wanted to find a Crew Cab 6 foot Frontier with VTP. However- tonight as I was driving the Fronty, it dawned on me that it felt I had more room to stretch out while driving, and it felt like a bigger vehicle. Warts and all- it gave me that comfortable jeans feeling...none of my previous vehicles ever gave me that impression.

I now need to re-think what is really important to me in a new truck. Yes- I want the 6 foot bed, but is the Crew Cab REALLY a necessity for me. Can I get by with an extended Cab Fronty which are much easier to find than a CCLB. Heck- I could even opt for a PRO-4X now if the extended cab would work for me.

Of course- maybe I should just put some $$$ in my truck and give me some time to think this one through. I can't wait too long though...the 2018 Fronty's look pretty FUGLY- at least from the pics we've seen here.

Chris

·
Registered
271 Posts
Chris u know u can order a crew cab in a long bed? I mean it would have to be ordered but u can get it? As far as the pro 4x long bed IDK if u can do that but I do know u can get a crew cab in a long bed

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is the CC a necessity? Simple questions to ask yourself (and some of which I asked myself before I bought mine 2 weeks ago):

1. Do I have kids?
Yes - get a CC
2. Do I carry my buddies, their friends, boyfriends, girlfriends all over the place?
Yes - get a CC and demand on some gas money
3. Do I have to keep stuff in my truck all the time and don't have a tonneau cover?
I coach soccer and need to keep a lot of gear in my truck. My tonneau cover is on order so some of it goes in my back seat if it rains or I'm parked at a hotel overnight. - Get a CC
4. Do you take the boy scout approach of I'd rather have and not need then need and not have?

Good luck on your decision. Sometimes the paid for warts are worth it!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a 06 crew cab and I love it. I use it all the time. Thou I don't haul anybody but I love it because I can throw stuff in the back and it not looked all cluttered up

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx guys!

Yes- I know there are CCLB's out there in both SV and SL trim. In fact I searched out where a bunch were on the Nissanusa website. Ideally I would love a Pro-4X in a long bed Crew(CCLB)- but they do not make them. I also looked at where a number of King Cabs were- both 2016 and 2017. I did find a few Pro-4X's in KC config. One weird config note- the 2017 KC Pro-4X is actually priced higher that the CCSB Pro-4X. I thought there used to be a $2K price difference between the two with the KC being the cheaper.

I am trying to rationalize getting a KC. It is only my wife and I- my kids are out and moved on. The Crew made sense whenever I had to take my Mom somewhere with us- but now she can't even get into a truck period. So I think I could live with a KC more.

I may go seek out a KC Pro-4X and take one out.

Chris

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
One of the reasons I didn't buy a Colorado, the salesman pointed to the sticker price, which included a $3,500 Western regional markup and told me that's the price, take it or leave it. Nissan, I paid out the door, with taxes, $1,000 below sticker, with my ext. warranty I paid $1,000 above sticker. I have CCLB with Value Truck. Also, the Colorado in a CC configuration is actually smaller than the Frontier, interior and exterior.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...well if you love your '06, just order a LB for it ;)

·
Premium Member
5,766 Posts
The fact that you are asking us, means you shouldn't buy a king cab truck.....

My wife and I have no kids and only a small dog, but, I still prefer my Crew cab.

Does your '05 have Utilitrac? In my eyes, the utilitrac more than makes up for the 1' less bed length. being able to tire down any and all items securely in the bed helps.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Chris u know u can order a crew cab in a long bed? I mean it would have to be ordered but u can get it? As far as the pro 4x long bed IDK if u can do that but I do know u can get a crew cab in a long bed

I'd like to know where and/or how you would go about doing this? I researched for my truck for just about 2 years to find a place and there was not a single dealership in Florida or S.Georgia who admitted they had the ability to "order" something from the factory any longer. Everywhere I went it was the exact same story, we can only get what the factory delivers to us these days. The dealership I went with had to do a vehicle swap with another one 2 states away to get my truck to me with as near to what I wanted as I could. Sadly no extended cab + full bed, and no moonroof package on a standard transmission. :crying:

All I've heard for several years now from everyone, not just Nissan, is the way the assembly lines are run now, the days of getting special ordered vehicles are long since gone. That bugs someone like me who is used to the old way of doing things, pay for what you WANT, not just settle for what's on the lot for the best price which is what younger people today seem to limit their expectations to.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'd like to know where and/or how you would go about doing this? I researched for my truck for just about 2 years to find a place and there was not a single dealership in Florida or S.Georgia who admitted they had the ability to "order" something from the factory any longer. Everywhere I went it was the exact same story, we can only get what the factory delivers to us these days. The dealership I went with had to do a vehicle swap with another one 2 states away to get my truck to me with as near to what I wanted as I could. Sadly no extended cab + full bed, and no moonroof package on a standard transmission. :crying:

All I've heard for several years now from everyone, not just Nissan, is the way the assembly lines are run now, the days of getting special ordered vehicles are long since gone. That bugs someone like me who is used to the old way of doing things, pay for what you WANT, not just settle for what's on the lot for the best price which is what younger people today seem to limit their expectations to.
Go to the Nissan website and build/price the truck you want...it will then try to locate it for you...the dealers would rather you take existing stock because they'd rather move the inventory of the easiest to configure vehicles they have on the lot but it should still be possible if you have the time to wait....the moonroof package is an option you can configure also.

·
Premium Member
6,111 Posts
It will be 2 years ago come Jan 2nd that I factory ordered my SV KC 4x2 6-sp. Our local dealership either couldn't or didn't want to order it (or my salesman was a cretin)...so I went a few towns over and another Nissan dealership either could or did order it. 18 weeks for delivery. That was a l-o-n-g agonizing wait.

The one glaring issue that this whole incident revolved around was that NO ONE could tell me that the VTP items were Standard Equipment on 6-sp SVs. I had even called Nissan Corporate HQ. The dealer that ordered my truck verified this using:

https://ppg.nissanproduct.info/

·
Registered
397 Posts
...thanks for the link!

·
Premium Member
6,111 Posts
Hey Mods, does this link deserve a sticky somewhere? Fairly detailed model specific info here for all Nissan (and Infiniti) iterations, though it only goes back to 2010.

https://ppg.nissanproduct.info/

Just a thought...:nerd:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Even though I look at the used market, a crew cab was almost a must for me. I have a 2-door car already and regret it everyday. In a perfect world, I would've found a 6-speed, CC, long bed but I don't think they exist. I've had my truck for about 3 months now and I will never want another truck that's not a crew cab unless it's just a winter beater/ work truck.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thx guys!

Yes- I know there are CCLB's out there in both SV and SL trim. In fact I searched out where a bunch were on the Nissanusa website. Ideally I would love a Pro-4X in a long bed Crew(CCLB)- but they do not make them. I also looked at where a number of King Cabs were- both 2016 and 2017. I did find a few Pro-4X's in KC config. One weird config note- the 2017 KC Pro-4X is actually priced higher that the CCSB Pro-4X. I thought there used to be a $2K price difference between the two with the KC being the cheaper.

I am trying to rationalize getting a KC. It is only my wife and I- my kids are out and moved on. The Crew made sense whenever I had to take my Mom somewhere with us- but now she can't even get into a truck period. So I think I could live with a KC more.

I may go seek out a KC Pro-4X and take one out.

Chris
I agree that if you are even questioning if you want/could live with a KC go with the CC. I personally have both a 2012 Frontier KC SV and a 2016 Colorado CC LT. The KC has the 6ft bed and the Collie has the 5ft bed with a bed extender. You can get the Colorado Z71 4X4 or 4X2 in the CCLB and I have seen several people that have them. The only way that the Collie you looked at had worse towing capacity then your frontier is if you looked at a 4 banger. the V6 has a capacity up to 7000lbs and if you moved into the 2.8l diesel that goes up to 7700lbs. I just tested this out having to tow my Frontier after the third clutch took a crap in 79,000 miles.

Ultimately you need to do what makes you happy, if I was not in a situation where I had needed to get an additional vehicle, I would still be driving my Frontier waiting for Nissan to come out with the diesel engine. Instead my son drives the Frontier (not drives it because of the clutch).

If you have any questions at all about the Colorado I am happy to answer them for you. If you are willing to travel a little bit, you can deal with Chevy dealers in other parts of the country. Also for 2017 the Colorado with the V6 will have an 8 speed transmission.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...a 2016 Colorado CC LT. The KC has the 6ft bed and the Collie has the 5ft bed with a bed extender. You can get the Colorado Z71 4X4 or 4X2 in the CCLB and I have seen several people that have them. The only way that the Collie you looked at had worse towing capacity then your frontier is if you looked at a 4 banger. the V6 has a capacity up to 7000lbs and if you moved into the 2.8l diesel that goes up to 7700lbs. I just tested this out having to tow my Frontier after the third clutch took a crap in 79,000 miles....
What Colorado engine do you have?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree that if you are even questioning if you want/could live with a KC go with the CC. I personally have both a 2012 Frontier KC SV and a 2016 Colorado CC LT. The KC has the 6ft bed and the Collie has the 5ft bed with a bed extender. You can get the Colorado Z71 4X4 or 4X2 in the CCLB and I have seen several people that have them. The only way that the Collie you looked at had worse towing capacity then your frontier is if you looked at a 4 banger. the V6 has a capacity up to 7000lbs and if you moved into the 2.8l diesel that goes up to 7700lbs. I just tested this out having to tow my Frontier after the third clutch took a crap in 79,000 miles.

Ultimately you need to do what makes you happy, if I was not in a situation where I had needed to get an additional vehicle, I would still be driving my Frontier waiting for Nissan to come out with the diesel engine. Instead my son drives the Frontier (not drives it because of the clutch).

If you have any questions at all about the Colorado I am happy to answer them for you. If you are willing to travel a little bit, you can deal with Chevy dealers in other parts of the country. Also for 2017 the Colorado with the V6 will have an 8 speed transmission.
I still have not had my front end looked at for cost of replacing support. The dealer who had the Colorado- also sells Nissans at another building... was putting $8K into my truck- and I make my best deal from there.

I can live with the King Cab, although the Colorado is bigger in the back than the Frontier. The Frontier I could not even get inside.
As for Crew Cab long bed- I think they all look a little mal-proportioned in that config, with the Tacoma TRD Off-Road looking best, then the Fronty, and then the Colorado.

Regardless of what I do- I guess I gotta wait a bit longer- as Kitchen re-do comes first(cabinets, granite, etc). I may be looking at February before I pull the trigger. Someone here just posted in the thread of Old Man Emu suspension- a pic of his long bed Crew with lift and wheels- looks damn fine!!!

Chris

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have the 2.8l diesel engine.
Are you impressed with the engine?

I've been driving a 2006 Toyota Hilux Eu turbo diesel for the last 20 months and its been a great cold weather truck!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts