Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the gas tank straps ('05) crumpled away when I touched it. I wonder if anyone else has had a rusted tank strap issue.
About 5 years ago the gas tank skid plate completely disintegrated; curiously, the engine skid and front basher plate are in fairly good condition. The straps are about $35, but the hold down bolts are so degraded I'm not sure they'll come out. Also while I was under there I noticed that the tire hold cone thing that goes through wheel hub hole is severely corroded and bent due to its weakened condition. So anyway, has anyone else had a corrosion problem with the tank hold down straps (2nd Gen)?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Thanks for giving us the heads up on those items. Good thing you found it before the tank dropped out like my neighbors did years ago.

Clint

·
Registered
410 Posts
One of the gas tank straps ('05) crumpled away when I touched it. I wonder if anyone else has had a rusted tank strap issue.
About 5 years ago the gas tank skid plate completely disintegrated; curiously, the engine skid and front basher plate are in fairly good condition. The straps are about $35, but the hold down bolts are so degraded I'm not sure they'll come out. Also while I was under there I noticed that the tire hold cone thing that goes through wheel hub hole is severely corroded and bent due to its weakened condition. So anyway, has anyone else had a corrosion problem with the tank hold down straps (2nd Gen)?
Do you live in the north? I checked mine and they look fine

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That's some rust

Thanks for the heads up also, Jesus Maine is tough on metal. Just looking at your rear axle shows that the rust is extremely bad on your truck. My gas tank skid is mostly rust free and my gas tank strap is completely solid. Mine is 11yrs old and a Eastern Maryland truck it's whole life.

ME stands to Maine guys, he has his location listed.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
My gas tank skidplate is going, but I never thought to thoroughly inspect the straps so thanks for that tip. I guess I'll be replacing all of it when I get a new skidplate.

I don't know what it is with rust on some of the parts on these trucks. I had to remove the factory tow hitch after I bought it, and the bumper is only being held together by the chrome.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Job done. On far left are the old straps. Tank was held up with only 1 strap. 2nd pic, finished results. 3rd, an example of the nasty bolts. Soaked them in a penetrant and amazingly they came out. 4th, holddown contraption for spare. Wheel is just about to explode off its holder. 5th, ratchet strap to the rescue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes to the blown transmission/pink radiator @122K miles (156K now after replacement)

Yes to the rotted spare tire cone, which luckily happened as I pulled into the driveway and I watched as the tire rolled past me into the stream at the bottom of my driveway)

And Yes (today August 28th,2019) to the gas tank strap...which I noticed parked at a gas station rather luckily. Apparently, the mechanic that did my brake fluid swap yesterday didn't think to mention it to me ????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Job done. On far left are the old straps. Tank was held up with only 1 strap. 2nd pic, finished results. 3rd, an example of the nasty bolts. Soaked them in a penetrant and amazingly they came out. 4th, holddown contraption for spare. Wheel is just about to explode off its holder. 5th, ratchet strap to the rescue.
Does the rear strap “ T “ end just get pounded out of the slot?????

·
Registered
319 Posts
If anyone doubts why I would NEVER buy a northern vehicle I'll show em these pics,,,damn!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Got tires mounted on Wednesday nite, took a look at my chassis parts while she was up in the air, yeah, some surface rust in spots but ..... holy cow, what you had was just plain nuts .....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts