Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2002 Frontier 4x4 V6 Supercharged. I was towing a newly bought trailer the other day (my first time towing) and took it on some dirt roads camping when smoke started coming out of the hood. I was also driving in 4x4 mode (which was probably the first mistake).
Opened it up and the coolant overflow tank was bubbling over and causing steam/smoke to pour out. Sorry for the lack of correct terminology, still trying to learn about the mechanics of my truck. A man helped me out and said it was the radiator, I think, which had over heated. We let it cool and then he added a bunch of anit-freeze coolant and said I should be good to go.
It was fine after that until on my drive home, the Check Engine Soon light had come on. Would this be directly related to this experience you think? If so, what could be setting off that sensor, and is it something I should check into or perhaps just assume the problem is fixed and reset the light?

Also, the plastic lid from the coolant "overflow" tank cracked open during the over-heating so now it doesn't properly seal. Is that something important that I need to fix soon?

Any help would be great,
Thanks!

·
Registered
741 Posts
You need to take your truck to a qualified mechanic.

Sorry, not very community of me to say so. However, there's a lot going on here...

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Obtain a trusted mechanic for guidance sake. He/she will be able to read any code/codes that triggered your CES light to come on. Do this soon to avoid making any bad situations worse. Good luck!

·
Registered
2015 CC SL 4x4 - Lear Cap.
231 Posts
Ditto...there is a lot you can check and do(and find on this site), but since you are "still learning the mechanics of your truck" Take it to the shop right away.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can at least take it to a local Autozone, they will read the codes for free. If they don't know what the code means, you can post it on here and someone can tell you what it means.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I double finding a good mechanic. But make sure he's a good mechanic. That last guy I took a truck to, spent a week digging through the thing and couldn't tell me what was wrong. I usually start asking around now.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have yet to find a local mechanic that fits all three criteria.

1) Honest
2) Straight and to the point. This is broke. This is what it takes to fix it.
3) Will find ten minutes in his day to at least troubleshoot an issue. Not sit on the thing and peek at it at his leisure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I took it to autozone and they came up with these 2 codes:

P1564
P0442

They said their system wasn't able to create a solution to either of those codes and that I should take it to the dealer.
I will probably end up doing that, but I was curious if anyone had any additional information on what those codes could mean?

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts