Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 2006 nissan frontier se with a 4 liter engine my check engine light came on and the truck wouldn't start for a minute. finally got it started and home and plugged my reader into the port and it said cam sensor phase something bank 2 with a 10 dollar sign next to it, is that how much it cost to fix it(i wish) and is it difficult to fix. could it just be dirty. i erased the code now to see if it comes back on. i hope not it runs to nice.:frown:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
What was the actual code?

Bank 2 is driver side. If it's just the cam sensor, not to difficult to change. I bought the O'Rielly's brand sensors and replaced both banks. Costs about $55 for both.

·
Registered
611 Posts
What PO# did you get when you read "cam sensor phase something"

·
Registered
58 Posts
The sensors aren't hard to change. Something I found out on my own and confirmed here is spend the little bit extra and get the Nissan OEM sensors. I used the auto part store sensor for the crank position sensor (the crank and cam sensor showed the same part number) that went bad and the truck would still act up at odd times. It set the same code and died while out shopping twice in a month.:frown: Picked up another sensor from the same place thinking it was bad. Same thing happened.:crying: I got the OEM part and it's been perfect for over a year::grin::. Others have posted about the same issue. There seems to be something different about the OEM part.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The sensors aren't hard to change. Something I found out on my own and confirmed here is spend the little bit extra and get the Nissan OEM sensors. I used the auto part store sensor for the crank position sensor (the crank and cam sensor showed the same part number) that went bad and the truck would still act up at odd times. It set the same code and died while out shopping twice in a month.:frown: Picked up another sensor from the same place thinking it was bad. Same thing happened.:crying: I got the OEM part and it's been perfect for over a year::grin::. Others have posted about the same issue. There seems to be something different about the OEM part.
I disagree on the oe part being better. I used the aftermarket parts without problem. Now if you want to discuss the eBay parts, that's a whole nother story.

·
Super Moderator
10,428 Posts
Enough people here complained about aftermarket vs. OEM so I went OEM and did the job once. Me being me bought both sides when only needing one so I was done once and not to revisit it later again.
Many times saving money costs more in the end.

Clint

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i think i will get the oem for both sides they are 97 dollars each but in the end it is worth it. pay now or pay later.

i will go out in a minute and get the code. could it just be a dirty sensor?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got a po of po345 $10 camshaft position senser a circut bank 2. so bank 2 is on the drivers side? what would happen if i just took it out and cleaned it or is it worth it,just change it?

·
Super Moderator
10,428 Posts
Mine looked perfect in my hands but knew it was no good so I don't see how cleaning it would accomplish anything.
I put a blanket on top of a stone cold engine and laid on top to do the job, all by feel and left the intake manifold in place. You need a bent tip needle nose pliers to release the connector and suggest you remove and connect the wires while it's free from the head. I also used a box end wrench to loosen the bolt and removed the screws by finger no ratchet needed. Good luck.

Clint

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't think it will hurt anything other than if it stops running on your way to work. The boss may get ticked but if that's not a problem then don't worry about it. Of course not getting to work doesn't sound like a bad idea.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
took it out and cleaned it,didn't help so far the only problem has been hard starting and poorer gas milage. what is the sensor for?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The sensor monitors the position of the cam shaft so the comp knows whats going on.(easiest way to put it) If the comp doesn't know the position of the cam then fuel and ignition will be out of sync resulting in the problems your having. ( at least that's how it was explained to me) Cleaning the sensor will not do anything. It uses a magnetic field to tell what part of the rotation the cam is on. Once it starts acting up all you can do is replace it. Eventually it will go completely and your truck may not/won't run at all. Being stuck on the side of the road is no fun.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i found a set on ebay brand new for 27 bucks or i can try a set from a wrecking yard for 3 bucks or slip it in my pocket.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Thanks everybody for the information.
I guess I will buy a cam sensor and crank sensor and keep them in the truck just in case.
Hopefully only one cam sensor will go bad at a time.

·
Super Moderator
10,428 Posts
Left and right sensors have a different shape.

Clint

1 - 16 of 16 Posts