Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sold my 200Kmi '00 Xterra and bought an '03 Frontier Crew Longbed 2WD. I am looking for a cheap lift and know the cheapest way is a torsion bar adjustment and a shackle kit in the rear. This will, without completely ruining ride quality, give me about 1" in front and 1.5" in the rear...which will still be raked more than I'd like. I would rather have a leveling kit and the shackle kit to give me 1.5" in the rear and 2-3" in the front, but for $440 including install not including the rear, I am wondering if there is a cheaper way to go about it??

How does your ride quality compare to stock, those of you with cranked torsion bars??

I really only want about 1.5" of total lift and it to ride level. I'm just looking for it to look clean with 31-33" tires around 10.5" wide. Metric or standard sizes or whatever. Not looking for offroad worthiness or lots of flex. Just something clean.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Well you can crank your torsion bar at least 2" and the rear lift shackles are 1.5", at least the 1's 1 purchased

My ride is ok, I'm replacing my shocks, but the ride is still fine enough

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
well the ride will be stiffer with the stock bars cranked, and they dont make a first gen leveling kit, you can get 2" max cranked on stock ucas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the Calmini torsion bars? They are 20% rate than stock. What does that mean? If I use these will it make it have a better ride if they are cranked or worse? I'm looking to stick around $500 or less for the entire shabang and really want no more than 2".

cutabovetherest, what brand shackles did you purchase? I'm looking at the Calmini ones for $65.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I got the 4x4parts.com and I think they were around that much. With the Torsion bars, the more they are rated is the more height you can achieve from them. But after 2" you should probably get new UCA's to push your tires back out otherwise you'll get uneven wear. I know there has been some that has gotten over 2" out of stock torsion bars, I have mine about 2 1/4" and my wheels are off a little

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
i would not buy calmini ones unless you want the "rusted pieces" look

best route is 4x4parts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I may end up just cranking the front to level it off, then going with bigger tires when I can get around to it. I just dropped $12k for this truck so my wallets a bit slim right now. I already have a system going in it and a few goodies from AC so maybe the lift will just have to wait. Is there a pre-runner front bumper / light tabs available for the 03-04's? I found them on AC for every year BUT the 03 and 04.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Why the cheapest? Why not the best kit for your money? So it costs a little more, but you can get quality if you spend a little more.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
You can level it by lifting the front about an inch or so. This wont be so high that you have to buy tires immediately and spend that 500$ you were talking about on bumpers or maybe just save it for now. You will need an alignment after any change to the front geometry. Check with the other 1st gen guys or your tire guy, but I'm pretty sure we put 31" tires on pops truck without changing anything. I don't remember the exact size cause it's been a while, but if they weren't 31" they were only a little smaller, maybe 265/70/16 = 30.6 X 10.4

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I would just crank on the torsion bars to even out the truck. And add longer shocks front and rear. You will be able to put 32 inch tire with out or very little problems with the stock rims. After all this is done and you want more lift I would look into a body lift.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got the 4x4parts.com and I think they were around that much. With the Torsion bars, the more they are rated is the more height you can achieve from them. But after 2" you should probably get new UCA's to push your tires back out otherwise you'll get uneven wear. I know there has been some that has gotten over 2" out of stock torsion bars, I have mine about 2 1/4" and my wheels are off a little
I thought that the rating was the spring rate of the torsion bars or the stiffness. With the sway-aways being stiffer than stock. I don't think they provide any more lift over the stock ones (you can turn them both only so much before the bumpstops) just that they have a stiffer feel and they can take more weight on the front end (bumpers and winches) before drooping.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Oh, I did not know that, I know people bought aftermarket ones to gain more height, but i never knew what the rating meant, thank you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts