Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone TRIED any of these cheap horsepower boosts? Such as the little "chips" on ebay that are supposed to increase your horsepower by 15-30 horses or the "vortex" things that make your intake air cyclone to increase power? Do these things actually work or are they just ripoffs? Also can they hurt your vehicle?

·
Registered
147 Posts
From Past Post: the Chips on Ebay are JUNK and can HURT your truck.
Also others have Dyno'd the Vortex, they do nothing for your truck mpg or power.

This is what others have said so i have just taken their word for it.

If you want to try it on your Truck go for it i am sure there are a few people here that would like some hard facts behind those "little chips"

One mod we have been doing is the grounding kits from ebay, its Cheap and so far promising check out the post.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I agree... Someone else posted about the Tornado! Personally, I've never used one so I can't say for sure. Some people swear they work, but then publications like CR and PM have done tests and said they did nothing!

But, I thought the same thing about this grounding kit before I tried it. It's made a believer out of me! So, you may want to be the Guinea Pig for the Vortex, Tornado, or Turbonator, and let us all know if it's worth it or not! Someone has to be the first to step out on the limb... We took the step with the grounding kits, you can take the lead on this one! :lol:

As for the "cheap" ebay chips, it's my understanding it's nothing more than a 15 cent resistor that makes you truck run richer! So, unless you're truck is heavily modded, you're just wasting gas!

BTW, I was reading in another post that our trucks already tend to run rich, so adding something that makes it run even richer will just lead to lousy gas mileage and fouled spark plugs!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I used the tornado in one of my trucks. It showed no hp or mpg gains whatsoever. Save the 80 bucks for something more worthwhile, maybe a throttle body spacer which would help the mpg considering gas prices.

·
Registered
149 Posts
gfronty05 said:
I used the tornado in one of my trucks. It showed no hp or mpg gains whatsoever. Save the 80 bucks for something more worthwhile, maybe a throttle body spacer which would help the mpg considering gas prices.
I think it's even harder to justify the money for a TB spacer. It's day has really come and gone - they're normally used for engines with poorly designed intake tracts that need the extra volume. I don't think the VQ engine qualifies.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Iam still not sold on the TBS, it is very similar to the Tornado in purpose. Volant claims that air flowing straight in is better than thirling air, Ill save my hundred for now, till I hear more good stuff about them. But from what Iam hearing on this Forum is the TBS makes a difference in low-end torque and gas mileage, Ill stop now LOL and read some more.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I did feel a difference in low end torque after I installed the PowerAid TBS, it's especially noticable when merging onto the highway in the morning, dodging trucks! There was also a slight gain in mpg, but not near enough to justify the cost, I got better results with the grounding kit when it came to mpg gains! Still, it was a decent addition and makes the truck feel much more responsive at lower speeds! I think the big difference between a TBS and a product like the tornado, vortex, or turbonator is that the TBS is a specer adding an inch to the intake volume, some have ridges, some don't. The other devices install inside the intake and have vanes that are supposed to swirl the air. But, anything within the intake tube takes up space, thus reduces volume! I really don't know if swirling, turbulent, or smooth air flow make that great a difference being as it all ends up being squeezed through the small intake valve openings before reaching the combustion chamber anyway! :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts