162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2005 Nissan Frontier;

-Nismo Model
-Extended Cab
-4.0 V-6

My Modifications are;

-5" Calmini Suspension lift
-33" Hankook tires, going to switch to Nitto A/T tires in few days. For better ride and hopefully little lighter.

Performace parts are;

-Banks Power Cat-Back exhaust 48125
-K&N Intake 57-6014

I see a lot of people on here have Throttle bottle spacers. Are they really worth it? Performance & gas mileage increases?

What is the best throttle body spacer to buy? I here some whistle-sound good, annoying, suppose to do that?

Will it fit with my aftermarket intake?

Is there any other cheap upgrades? Like this one around 80 dollars. I don't want to do a programmer because there like 400 dollars and you have to use higher octane.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
It's a crap shoot on the throttle body. Half will say it works, half will say it doesn't. It definitely will whistle. It will probably fit with the CAI, although sometimes some modification is needed (trimming of the intake tube probably).

Do a little more research on your tuners and chips. If you think that they all require a higher octane, then you are not looking really deeply into all of them. I think most of them have tunes for 87 octane; most have multiple options for you to try and pick what you like best.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Most guys who can keep outta the gas pedal find 1-2pg gain in tuners, I did.

A colder t-stat like the stock one for a 350Z, helps a little too... esp. for guys in warm(er) climates.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
throttle body spacers don't do anything but make noise. spend a little extra cash for a tuner, they have 3 or 4 different tunes and you can use 87 octane, if i remember correctly i think superchips has an 87 octane tune.

·
Registered
741 Posts
there are no cheap performance parts unfortunatly. and throttle body spacers are crap. such a waste

·
Registered
240 Posts
I chose the Weapon R CAI and can tell you that it whistles by itself. I don't mind it as it isn't that loud, but others may not like it. Undecided about the spacer, but may try it. As far as mileage it all comes down to discipline with the skinny pedal. My mileage is a little worse since I installed the CAI and Banks exhaust. Just can't help but listen to the new music, lol!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So there's several programers out there for our trucks i see. Which one of these have the best hp/tq gains (actually notice it), monitering features, option to adjust from 31's to 33's tires to correct speedometer, any of them have gearing/trans shift points. Whats the Wide open throttle feature do, that where it gets the gains by fully opening up the throttle like 90% to 100%And as far as prices. There any places on the web to gets these programs cheap like in the 200 hundreds range. 350-400 hundreds just way to expensive.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 2005 Nissan Frontier;

-Nismo Model
-Extended Cab
-4.0 V-6

My Modifications are;

-5" Calmini Suspension lift
-33" Hankook tires, going to switch to Nitto A/T tires in few days. For better ride and hopefully little lighter.

Performace parts are;

-Banks Power Cat-Back exhaust 48125
-K&N Intake 57-6014
Thanks
Just curious, what kind of MPGs are you getting with your setup?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
So there's several programers out there for our trucks i see. Which one of these have the best hp/tq gains (actually notice it), monitering features, option to adjust from 31's to 33's tires to correct speedometer, any of them have gearing/trans shift points. Whats the Wide open throttle feature do, that where it gets the gains by fully opening up the throttle like 90% to 100%And as far as prices. There any places on the web to gets these programs cheap like in the 200 hundreds range. 350-400 hundreds just way to expensive.
These are not questions that you can just openly ask without researching yourself. There are numerous threads on this topic so it will take some time to go thru them but after reading them all, you will have a good feeling on which is best for you.

Just to help you out thou, no programmer will fix the tire size change. Only the hypertech speedo calibrator will do that which is not cheap. Also, non of the programmers will touch the trans since it has its own control unit. It would need its own programmer and at this point, it is not supported. Lastly thou, if you are looking for cheap mods to help performance and mpg you are barking up the wrong tree. If mpg was important to you, then lose the lift and tires, if not then just deal with it. If you want performance, then you will need to dish out some bucks but you will not feel the total gains due to your current mods.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just curious, what kind of MPGs are you getting with your setup?
I'm not sure actually. I still need to do a full tank and drive good and calculate what i'm getting. I dont think it's to bad. I will do a test soon with the new 285/70R17 Nitto A/Ts that i'm getting put on tomorrow. I'll post what im getting soon.

These are not questions that you can just openly ask without researching yourself. There are numerous threads on this topic so it will take some time to go thru them but after reading them all, you will have a good feeling on which is best for you.

Just to help you out thou, no programmer will fix the tire size change. Only the hypertech speedo calibrator will do that which is not cheap. Also, non of the programmers will touch the trans since it has its own control unit. It would need its own programmer and at this point, it is not supported. Lastly thou, if you are looking for cheap mods to help performance and mpg you are barking up the wrong tree. If mpg was important to you, then lose the lift and tires, if not then just deal with it. If you want performance, then you will need to dish out some bucks but you will not feel the total gains due to your current mods.
Well I love the lift & tires so that's not happening. I dont think the gas mileage is that bad. And the truck still has a ton of power. Takes off fast, shifts smooth. And gets up there from a roll. The intake & exhaust I noticed plus sounds really good. I was just seeing if there were some improvements that would't cost to much, but i guess there isn't. So im just going to stop it there and enjoy the truck and save my money.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i had a throttle body spacer on my truck with a k&N intake and it sounds cool and deff gave me about 1.5 miles per gallon batter on freeway maybe 2... but it KILLS all low end power... if your not one to take off fast and get your rear tires to break loose and peal out then get one... but i want the low end power... i have it still let me know if you want it i will ship im in cali sacramento area.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
TBS's are generally not worth it. If you do it, I recommend removing the TB screen too. I didn't have any issue using the TBS with my CAI. No modifications needed. And that was even with the IMS to through things off more. Also I never noticed any whistle with my WRP TBS. As far as tuners go, you will get your best gains from Uprev. Especially if you get it dyno tuned. However its also the most expensive if you get the whole system. Superchips & Hypertech both give good gains for a more moderate price. But i dont think you can find any reliable tuners out there for the $200 you are hoping for. Generally the best cheap mods are the 2deg timing advance and also the 350Z thermostat like mentioned earlier. Also if your banks system didn't replace your y-pipe, make sure you do that too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
BAnks system replaces the y-pipe. How restrictive is the TB screen?

·
Registered
602 Posts
just got my superchips through the group buy great deal by the way. i just set it on the 87 octane tune- it works great now if i pull out in front of somebody i can get up to speed in no time.. (traffic is terrible here in the summer tourist area) that is with just the tuner no other performance mod(oo wait a few stickers.. :)) cant wait till i get my volant and still trying to decide on which exhaust if any i am gonna get

·
Registered
770 Posts
No cheap mods give gains. I have not lost any mpg with the Superchips performance tune, but have gained noticable power. If you want hwy mpg gains, go forced induction, but it is not cheap. There are 2 members on here that have gained significant #s hwy and hp using blowers and turbos. But is it worth the cost??? That is up to you.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Buy a $25 magnaflow y-pipe. Go to a shop and have them install it for $35= $60

I can sell you my Volant Air Filter for $20 + shipping. Buy a tube make a hole for the sensor and a couple of clamps, you'll see some performance and possibly mileage increase...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
BAnks system replaces the y-pipe. How restrictive is the TB screen?
Not that much, but it seems to work decent with TBS's. But in truth, I would rather just have my $100 back. Together they might give you 1hp at most and I think without the screen removed, it actually hurt my performance. Basically dont bother with TBS's. They do look cool though :).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts