Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys think of just upgrading my speakers in my 06 truck?

if i buy speakers at a local electronics store such as bestbuy, will it sound better than stock speakers? or will i have to put an amp to get way better results?

i have the 6 cd changer in my truck btw, its a kc nismo.

thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2005 KC SE 4x2 4.0L 6spd body dropped on 2s
320 Posts
The single best upgrade u can do is get a decent receiver. Then get some speakers. I would do both.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
The single best upgrade u can do is get a decent receiver. Then get some speakers. I would do both.
I agree, the stock radio lacks power. Put in a better head unit first, and if that isn't enough, go for better speakers and maybe a sub as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the thing is, i am in college and in the parking garage i dont want to get my truck "jacked" if i get a nice header...so thats why i dont mind the stock header it has right now....

so my question is...

if i get better speakers will it sound better?

·
Registered
268 Posts
My good man after this thread need u say no more. I have your exact truck only difference is the year. I hooked up my truck with a good my system and it sounds better than better.. it sounds awesome!!. I replaced my stereo for a Kenwood DDX512 in dash stereo, replaced all my speakers with JBL speakers, two tweeters, two amps, one 10" sub woofer with a cusmtomized box to go in the middle of the two back seats and the whole thing sounds sick!! I could completely tell the difference between the before and after sound.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
the thing is, i am in college and in the parking garage i dont want to get my truck "jacked" if i get a nice header...so thats why i dont mind the stock header it has right now....

so my question is...

Again, not enough power. I have a different head unit with the stock speakers and it sounds totally different (in a good way) You need more power to get better sound. The stock speakers aren't the best, but they can sound a lot better with more power.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Food for thought: If you decide to get speakers, just find a cheap pair of components. If you only replace the front door speakers with new 6x9's, they wont be much different from stock because the speakers are so low in the door pannel that the sound is aimed at your feet. (I tried this *with the stock headunit* before switching to components) With components, you'll be able to hear your music a lot better because the tweeters will be at ear level. (we dont know your model of truck, so i dont know if it already has components stock)

You'll definitely be able to hear your music better if you're upgrading to components from stock 6x9's....but you're probably not going to get the sound you're looking for without getting a new deck, like others have mentioned. I feel you on a aftermarket headunit though... if you dont remove the faceplate every time you get out of your truck, it's like an invitation for thieves to break into it.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

so my question is...

thats why you take off the faceplate when you park broseph! and yes they will sounds ALOT better.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
You don't have to buy a $400 head unit. Mine cost a little over $130, and it gets the job done well. But yes, would defiantly just replace both

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I probably have the same stuff in my truck that you do. I have thought about changing out my HU getting a sub, and all that but just can not justify doing it with the economy the way it is. I just fine tune the bass/balance/fade the best I can and end up listening to am radio anyway.

Some day maybe, but just not now.

Good luck in your decision making process and I hope you find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
awesome! thanks so much for the advice...

ok so right now i got the idea that replacing the header is first, and i could always add "better speakers" to get better sound, and again the fact that the stock header doesnt push enough power has a lot to do with it.

SO my solution, i think ima go ahead and try to replace my stock front door 6 by 9's.

NOW the next question is....

Which brand do you feel is a "good and reliable brand?"

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'drecommend that you don't ask for suggestions on brands. Go down to a local shop and find what YOU think sounds the best. If you ask "What should I get?", you're not going to get anyone to agree. It doesn't matter what I think sounds good (Polk) -- it only matters what sounds best to you. You may like sound that produces warmer mid-tones, crisper highs, etc. etc. Different speakers will reproduce different tones differently.

·
Registered
36 Posts
alpine head, infinity mids/highs, Fosgate sub/amp

and as far as getting "Jacked"... been there, done that... got a one peice back glass now..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd actually recommend an OEM integration unit, JL cleansweep, Alpine PXE-H650, or simply a line output converter that will convert the speaker level outputs from the stock HU into preamp outputs to an amplifier. I'd leave the rear speakers powered by the stock HU unless you're worried about entertaining passengers. Alpine if you want the time alignment and Auto EQ that it offers, others if you don't care for the gadgetry. Really a decent 2 ch or 4 channel amp will run you a similar price as a good head unit will, with much better results even with the stock speakers. Bonus points if the amplifier has a built in crossover, a HPF on the stock fronts will make things a lot cleaner since it's not being forced to reproduce sub-80hz material. I'd do a 4ch, the front 2 channels powering the front speakers with the rear channels bridged to run a subwoofer. Relatively space saving in our rather limited install space.

But I'd actually recommend the amp and integration processor before replacing the stock speakers. It's not that the stocks are great, but most coaxials on the market are designed with the objective of getting loud off of little power, while they do that they lack bass response due to being designed with lighter cones for efficiency. The stock 6x9s have the advantage of more cone area, a 2 ohm impedance, so they are relatively efficient while still having decent bass response for what they are. The stock speakers will really have better bass response than a lot of the coaxials on the market, and will get louder with less distortion simply due to having a high pass filter put on them to cut the low bass.

But I'd do a sub next, and then a nice set of components after the sub. That's what I'd consider to be the "bang for the buck" option.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Just make sure you know what you're getting into when using a signal processor like a JL Cleansweep. They work wonders, but they're a pain in the butt to install and tinker with -- and, they're more expensive than a good head unit.

I had one for about 18 months in my Frontier and it worked really well converting the non-amplified speaker outputs from the OEM RF 6-CD changer to a 2V pre-amp output for my amp. However, having been through it and later replacing it with an AVIC-D3, I would rather have gone that way in the first place. It would've been cheaper, too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can get cheaper OEM interfaces from Scosche etc for like $20. you don't get the auto-EQ for systems that are equalized from the factory like premium systems generally are (RF system included) but they work just as good in terms of converting high level amp outs from the stock HU to preamp outputs.

I prefer the Alpine PXE-h650 personally. Full processing, time alignment, equalization, level matching, for the same price as a high end head unit like Alpine, Pioneer Premier, or Eclipse's better offerings. The Audiocontrol DQL-8 is a very nice option as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey fellas so i was just wondering...what if i wanted to get an amp installed in my truck and install new speakers to replace all the stock speakers that came with my truck....

do you think that'll sound better? *the key to remember here is i DO NOT want a new deck

1 - 20 of 65 Posts