Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody experience a chattering sound such as trrrrrr.....under the dashboard?it only appears at speed higher than 100km/h and doesnt seem to happen all the time. And when you turn the engine off and on again, the noise dissappear. And happen only to manual diesel engine

Went to my dealer and tried to show them but the noise didnt appear

I talked to another manual navara owner back in the dealer , he also experienced the same thing.

It seems nissan hasn't got a clue what's wrong with it, my dealer won't inspect the clutch and transmission related since they cannot hear the noise and it is a big job therefore the need to be sure argggggg......

·
Registered
120 Posts
Has anybody experience a chattering sound such as trrrrrr.....under the dashboard?it only appears at speed higher than 100km/h and doesnt seem to happen all the time. And when you turn the engine off and on again, the noise dissappear. And happen only to manual diesel engine

Went to my dealer and tried to show them but the noise didnt appear

I talked to another manual navara owner back in the dealer , he also experienced the same thing.

It seems nissan hasn't got a clue what's wrong with it, my dealer won't inspect the clutch and transmission related since they cannot hear the noise and it is a big job therefore the need to be sure argggggg......
Yep the same noise happens in mine (it's an auto) and is also a quirk of the Pathfinder.....sounds a bit like a piece of cardboard in the spokes of a bicycle wheel.....the noise is from the airflow direction changing thingy. If you sit in the car and change the airflow direction from face/foot to windscreen/foot or any other position you will hear the noise. I don't believe that it is anything to do with the clutch if it is the same noise that your are hearing. Is there are fix? I've no idea but then again I'm not sure that anything is broken either :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
A very, very long shot here, is there any chance it sounds like pouring water?

If it does, you could have an air bubble in the cooling (antifreeze) system. Seems the easiest way to resolve it if this is the issue is to overfill the overflow container. Drive until warm and then let cool entirely. Repeat until issue disappears.

ymmv

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep the same noise happens in mine (it's an auto) and is also a quirk of the Pathfinder.....sounds a bit like a piece of cardboard in the spokes of a bicycle wheel.....the noise is from the airflow direction changing thingy. If you sit in the car and change the airflow direction from face/foot to windscreen/foot or any other position you will hear the noise. I don't believe that it is anything to do with the clutch if it is the same noise that your are hearing. Is there are fix? I've no idea but then again I'm not sure that anything is broken either :)
yours also happen at high speed or any speed?mine only happen at speed higher than 100k and long driving

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A very, very long shot here, is there any chance it sounds like pouring water?

If it does, you could have an air bubble in the cooling (antifreeze) system. Seems the easiest way to resolve it if this is the issue is to overfill the overflow container. Drive until warm and then let cool entirely. Repeat until issue disappears.

ymmv
nope, pete22 described it better, seems like a cardboard in the spokes of bicycle wheels

·
Registered
619 Posts
The rattle you speak of is this , there is a check valve in the clutch damper valve that vibrates and the noise is than transferred what sounds like its in the steering column, to fix this rattle , remove the clutch damper then remove the check valve inside the damper altogether , the noise will be gone for good , this is what Nissan said to me not that long ago

I also asked about the de-tuning to stop the black smoke issue , and there is no such mod that he knew of

Cheers Marty

·
Registered
121 Posts
The rattle you speak of is this , there is a check valve in the clutch damper valve that vibrates and the noise is than transferred what sounds like its in the steering column, to fix this rattle , remove the clutch damper then remove the check valve inside the damper altogether , the noise will be gone for good , this is what Nissan said to me not that long ago

Cheers Marty
Thank Marty - I have been chasing this noise for 2 years now, Nissan were no help when I asked them to look into it when it was serviced. It sounds horrid, happens at certain RPMs at certain loads (when harmonics are just right) and I can stop it if I apply a very little bit of pressure to the clutch pedal. Not sure what involved in removing the check valve, but I will certainly look into it, or perhaps suggest this to Nissan when it goes in for a service in a few weeks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if anybody will do what Martin suggest and succeed please post the pics here, it will help lots of our mate from around the world.

Thx Martin :goodjob:

·
Registered
220 Posts
This noise has been killing me i even thought it was pinging at 1 stage racking my brain

·
Registered
619 Posts
Pinging noise is totally different and it should not be heard inside to cabin , if you think its pinging it will most likely be #1 injector, try this when the engine is cold, open the bonnet , have a long screwdriver ready , start the engine and now use the screwdriver by placing it against #1 injector pipe , compre this to the rest of the pipes and you should be able to hear that #1 is lowered than the rest . Dont ask me why it just is ,this would also explain why its only ever #1 injector that rattles if you like , in some cases its been # 2 or 3 but mainly #1, might have something to do with the sharp bend in that line but how would you test it?

Cheers Marty

·
Registered
220 Posts
thanks martin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.