Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kind of getting a little frustrated with this truck and the leaks that I have had to fix in the past year..but hey life could be worse. So I have had the passenger side valve cover gasket replaced, and that still appears to be bone dry. I noticed things looked damp right around the rear of the oil cooler housing. Has anyone had a similar leak? I was thinking maybe the filter could just have a bad gasket...or maybe the oil cooler housing O-ring is leaking? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Truck is a 2010 SE 4x4.

Shot right behind the oil cooler after I tried cleaning up some.

Shot from the front. Noticed there was a buildup of the oil/grime on top of the rack and pinion which sits directly below the cooler.

I had to clean quite a bit of the grime out from around the gear assembly mount cushion.

·
Registered
791 Posts
That might just be residual from oil changes. I'd clean it well and see if it's actually leaking.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can understand why you would think that...but I am pretty meticulous with keeping things clean when I do any work on the truck. So when I saw oil I was almost 100% sure it was because of a leak. I also pulled the dipstick and it looked like I was down a little oil. I am up at my parents so I don't have my uv glasses/light...otherwise I'd toss some more dye in the oil.

·
Registered
2015 CC SL 4x4 - Lear Cap.
231 Posts
If you get desperate, try this:

Finding Oil Leaks

We use blacklights on turbine engine oil seeps, it has the dye and on "most" leaks it works great.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you get desperate, try this:

Finding Oil Leaks

We use blacklights on turbine engine oil seeps, it has the dye and on "most" leaks it works great.
Thanks for your response. So I am 90% sure I found the source. After cleaning everything up and taking it for a drive, I am seeing the oil come back right around the bolt right in the center of the picture on the upper engine oil pan.

I checked everywhere around, above etc and there is no trail that leads down to that bolt...gravity flows down. The bolt seems to be the source. Should I just do an oil change and buy a new bolt from Nissan and see if that solves it?

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Thanks for your response. So I am 90% sure I found the source. After cleaning everything up and taking it for a drive, I am seeing the oil come back right around the bolt right in the center of the picture on the upper engine oil pan.

I checked everywhere around, above etc and there is no trail that leads down to that bolt...gravity flows down. The bolt seems to be the source. Should I just do an oil change and buy a new bolt from Nissan and see if that solves it?
did you check for the oil filter cooler leak? cooler housing o-ring leak

As to just pulling teh bolt, I'd be sure WHAT that bolt is fastening/locating before pulling it...

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
I think it may be holding some spring for the oil pump

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
Oil cooler "O" ring failures are very common on these engines. As far as the bolt, it should be the front pan bolt that threads into the bottom of the front cover. If it is, you won't be able to take it out unless you get the rack and pinion out of the way due to its length.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That bolt does not hold the spring for the oil pump. That bolt actually threads into the lower half of the engine block. I am 99% sure that is where the oil is seeping from. I have been studying the service manual and the application of the RTV silicone is supposed to go on the inside of the bolt hole preventing oil from seeping out. As I loosened the bolt, I started to get some oil seeping down from the shaft. I will be using the UV dye just to be certain.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That bolt does not hold the spring for the oil pump. That bolt actually threads into the lower half of the engine block. I am 99% sure that is where the oil is seeping from. I have been studying the service manual and the application of the RTV silicone is supposed to go on the inside of the bolt hole preventing oil from seeping out. As I loosened the bolt, I started to get some oil seeping down from the shaft. I will be using the UV dye just to be certain.
Did you find the leak? I have an oil leak from the same area that I can't narrow down.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, it was coming from the bolt. I unthreaded it partially, and there was oil actually in the shaft up through the upper oil pan. I ended up actually just putting a small bead of the Permatex "The Right Stuff" around the head of the bolt and threading it back up. Hasn't leaked since. I would check to see if it is coming from the oil cooler. There is a rubber o-ring that has been known to leak. Do you have any pictures of where you seeing the oil?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't but a Nissan tinker at work recommended the O ring too.
Glad you got it fixed!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts