Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I am after a little help. I had a problem with my charging system the battery light was illuminated on the dash. This proved to be the alternater, replaced that and had a new battery. However the output from the alt to the bat is 14 volts plus but the bat light on the dash is still illuminated any ideas. Does this require some kinda reset???

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hi guys,
I am after a little help. I had a problem with my charging system the battery light was illuminated on the dash. This proved to be the alternater, replaced that and had a new battery. However the output from the alt to the bat is 14 volts plus but the bat light on the dash is still illuminated any ideas. Does this require some kinda reset???
I would be very wary of ANY exchange type alternator. Especially from some of these giant automotive discount parts stores. If your truck is a second gen, these alternators are variable voltage alternators, and are not run of the mill. The IC regulator inside the alternator controls that circuit. Your exchange alternator may not be wired for it or it may be faulty. Check the battery current sensor. Its on your negative battery cable. Follow your negative battery cable from the battery downstream, and you'll run into it. It looks like a little black box. right by the power steering resivoiur. Make sure its hooked up. It senses charging/discharge voltage. Then sends the voltage signal to the ECM. The ECM then adjusts the voltage accordingly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Nissanmadness,
I had looked at the negative lead in a thought that it could of been my issue, the alternater that i replaced with mine had exactly the same part number as mine and all the codes on the labels matched. It came off a model 2 years younger. This little black box on the neg can i test it in any way to establish if this is my problem. So am I right in thinking the charging circuits is a smart charge a sort of on demand item.
Thanks for your advise I am real novice to the mechanics of motors.
Regards.
J

·
Registered
378 Posts
Cheers Nissanmadness,
I had looked at the negative lead in a thought that it could of been my issue, the alternater that i replaced with mine had exactly the same part number as mine and all the codes on the labels matched. It came off a model 2 years younger. This little black box on the neg can i test it in any way to establish if this is my problem. So am I right in thinking the charging circuits is a smart charge a sort of on demand item.
Thanks for your advise I am real novice to the mechanics of motors.
Regards.
J
Just make sure that the battery current sensor is completely wrapped around the negative cable as it is an inductive pick up coil, and that it is plugged into the harness plug. Check that all the thermal limiters are not blown. Take the positive battery plastic insulator cover off, look at the two limiters on either end at the very top. There should no breaks in the metal going through the limiter. Take a mirror and look at the four on the backside of the positive battery cable. If any one of them are blown open, they will have to be replaced. If you have a VOM it would be better to check them with. Check the ign and electronics fuses to the right of the glove box. The diagnostics gets pretty complicated after that. You may have to take it to the dealer to have it hooked up to their Consult II scanner for further diagnostics. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jamie d22

Hi Nisssanmadness,
I think I may have lead us on a wild truck chase. I have followed the lead from the battery it goes to the inner wing and is earthed there then goes down into the engine bay then loops back up to the intercooler header where its bolted. There does appear to be little black box. So I think it may be and older model its the older shape a bit vague I Know, its the same shape as the silver one next to the red one on the heading for this site.
Thanks.
J

1 - 5 of 5 Posts