Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Charcoal Canister Codes Diagnosis

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Tomterrific 
#1 ·
Truck is a 2017 4 cylinder stick, 40k miles. I have the typical codes that target the canister venting. I would give them but it seems the paper has vanished. One is P0480? Besides the 3 codes set, the engine idles high. I clamped the hose to the valve on the manifold and the idle slowed, engine was at operating temp.

Because of the high idle i originally thoight vacume leak. Now i figure either the valve on the manifold or the canister is at fault. Codes pointed to both. I'm 73 and would really like to work on the most likely area because knowledge is key for a lazy old guy.

Thanks for any help.
Tom

#2 ·
Could be the purge solenoid valve stuck open, leaking hose or fitting, chewed/broken/corroded wire or connector.

Where I live in the rust belt, probably every 3 out of 5 vehicles has EVAP issues once they're 6yrs old.

Keep in mind the charcoal canister itself is probably covered by 7yr/70k mile Federal emissions warranty, but nothing else associated with the system is.

Reactions: GreyFox
#4 ·
Thanks guys,
I pulled the valve off the canister and it looked clean inside. I sprayed it with carb cleaner and blew through it with compressed air. I also blew out some hoses and the canister but not very well. I wanted to check the valve for function but could not find my jumpers. Probably at a neighbors garage... 8-(
I pinched the hose at the manifold and the idle slowed. Is there supposed to be a slight amount of air leaking through the EVAP system with the throttle closed? Or do i have a small leak? The rpm hangs high when i stop and slowly goes lower. Truck runs fine otherwise. Can't quite figure this one out.

Tom

#6 ·
Well, I bought a code reader and read 3 codes.
P0443 Purge control valve circuit.
P0456 Very small leak in evap control system.
P0448PD Vent control circuit shorted. The PD means pending. Means it happened on one drive cycle. Not concurrent drive cycles.

I decided to erase the 3 codes and see if they reset. But if anyone has had the same codes then it may point to a Nissan condition and an easy fix.

Thanks,
Tom

#9 ·
Check the two Nissan Technical Service Bulletins attached. Uploaded in PDF format

Attachments

#7 ·
I'd check the purge valve and the vent valve for functionality, corrosion at the connectors, etc. You can jump 12VDC power to them to hear them click and see if they block/allow air flow as intended by blowing through them.

#10 ·
I erased the three codes and one reset on the first drive, P0443, the purge valve. I removed the purge valve, the valve on the engine. I noticed the valve was open and would not close after cleaning with carb cleaner. Is this valve normally open? I ran jumpers from the valve to the battery expecting a click and the valve closing. Nothing. I think I found my problem. I'll keep you guys informed if this fixes things.

Tom

#11 ·
Well, after Removing the purge valve and filling it with carb cleaner, my truck is fixed. I placed my fingers over the openings and shook the carb cleaner but no dirt or discoloration came out. I reinstalled the purge valve and it works. Why? I don't know. Either the cleaner removed a sticky or the plug was not making good contact and reinserting cleaned the contacts/pins.

Interestingly I ordered a new valve from Amazon minutes before the truck fixed itself. So maybe the fix is to order something not needed. :)

Tt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.