Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Changing XE 15" to 16" wheels?

19K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  BizZa000ooo 
#1 ·
I'm a new Frontier XE 4cyl./2.5 owner. I am considering changing the stock 15" wheels/ tires to custom, SE or Nismo 16" wheels and tires. This is strictly an aesthetic change so I will reconsider if it will cause problems.

I've been warned that I would lose some gas mileage over the stock XE 4cyl. 24/20 mpg if I use 16" wheels but so far no one can say how much. I've looked for specs on an SE 4cyl. but either I can't find it or it doesn't exist. Does anyone on this forum know how much the approximate loss will be?

Also, what other potential problems could the larger than stock XE wheel/tire size cause?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Keith

#2 ·
The SE does not come w/ 15" wheels in any configuration. XEs come with smaller discs in the front, so I don't know how a heavier wheel such as the 16" alloy wheels will affect the brakes. Also, a taller tire and rim should decrease your acceleration.

#3 ·
I have an 06 XE. I changed the 15" steel wheels to the SE 16". I haven't had any ill effects. The gas milage is the same or maybe better. I am currently getting 25.5 mpg on the highway. I drive 82 miles a day to and from work. I changed the wheels for the looks. The steel wheels just look too small. As for the loss of acceleration....the 4 banger is not that fast anyways.....I didn't notice any.

#5 ·
Thanks to all for your experience and opinions. I will check with a Nissan tech on the pros and cons of this before installing but it sounds like the negative impact will be so minor I will probably never even notice it. My biggest concern at this point will be whether or not the modification will somehow void the vehicle warranty.

I'll post back on this thread with the tech's opinion.

Keith

BTW: I do believe it's inevitable that there will be some very minor loss in fuel economy and acceleration using 16" wheels on a vehicle designed and spec'ed for 15" wheels, it just may be hard to tell how much. Since the 16" wheels/tires have a larger circumference, the tire will cover more distance per axle revolution. In theory, this could thow off the odometer calibration a little bit. Over distance, this may make the odometer show you have traveled slightly less than you actually have, making it appear you are getting slightly better mileage than you really are. As far as acceleration loss, cannes5time pointed out that the 4 banger is not that fast anyway, so it may not even be noticable.

#6 ·
I also have an '06 with the 15" wheels...while the wheels don't bother me, I'd really like to put some 265/75r15 (or 31 inch??) BFGoodrich tires on it. Has anyone seem one like this? Too bad I can't see what this looks like, or see how big of a difference this makes on performace/speedometer this makes before I make the jump.

#7 ·
I have an '06 king cab Fronty with the 4 banger and a 5-speed. I put on P265/65 R17's and esthetically it looks great!. The lug pattern is strange on the 2WD 4 Cyl so aftermarket wheels are limited. The tire complany I went to suggested using pull off's from a Pathfinder and I think it's a great look. :D

It did make the truck somewhat more doggy but it's still getting broke in so I think that will go away. A 2.4 will be doggy anyway. This is a pretty hefty truck, compared to the previous years. And, gas mileage dropped off a tad (maybe a mpg or 2) but nothing significant.

As to warranty, I don't see any issue there. I don't think there is any significant change to the speedo.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if I can post some pics. I REALLY like the pathfinder wheels.

#8 ·
Just as a reminder... You can go to a 16, 17, 18 inch wheel and if you adjust the sidewall heigth on the tire you use you will have no difference in overall rolling diameter than the stocker. So, you don't have to have any difference in what the engine works against if you don't want to. 8)

#9 ·
tire change formulas

Size Affect on Acceleration
How will a different tire size affect the acceleration performance of your truck? The answer is that it has the same affect as changing the axle ratio of the truck.(Original Tire Diameter / New Tire Diameter) X Original Axle Ratio = Effective Axle RatioExample.. (24" / 25.2") X 3.10 Original Axle Ratio = 2.95 Effective Axle Ratio

Size Affect on Highway Performance
How will a different tire size affect the performance of your truck on the highway?(Original Tire Diameter / New Tire Diameter) X RPM@MPH = New RPM @ actual MPHExample... (24" / 25.2") x 2400 RPM = 2286 RPM @ 55 mph with new tires.

Size Affect on Speedometer
How will a different tire size affect the speedometer of your truck? Maybe speeding ticket time!(Exceeding the legal speed limit is neither recommended or endorsed.)(New Tire Diameter / Original Tire Diameter) X Indicated Speed = Actual Speed with new tires.Example... (25.2" / 24") X 55MPH = 58MPH Actual Speed with new tires.

#10 ·
I have a 2005 XE and just put 20s with 285/50/20 tires... This set up is just a tad smaller then the NISMO setup. Before I did this my speedo was about 3 mph slow, now it is about 2 mph fast. I feel I have lost about 2 mpg with these in the city. Stayed about the same on the highway, I do notice a lower rpm for highway speeds.

#12 ·
Wow, there's some great info in this thread.

Full circle:
I talked to the service manager at the local Nissan dealership today about new car warrantees and larger wheel/tire modifications and he said it will not effect the warrantee.

BTW: I'd love to see some pics too.

Thanks to all for posting.

Keith

#16 ·
curiosity killed the cat...

but satisfaction braught him back...

has anyone weighed the wheels with tire...

I would assume that the aluminum wheels weigh less than the steelies...

but I can also see that weight evening out with the tire selection ...

#18 ·
Hmmm. Looks like I need some tips on posting pics to the site. That's not a very good rendition. Looks better in person.

TXoutlaw... great looking wheels. Great picture too. How did you post that?

NoahinBR... no, I didn't need to lift it. And the wheels I used are pull offs from a 05 Pathfinder so they are way cheaper that way. Some one wanted custom wheels so they had them pull off the stockers so that's what I went with (the stockers). I like um. :D

#19 ·
totomojo said:
Hmmm. Looks like I need some tips on posting pics to the site. That's not a very good rendition. Looks better in person.

TXoutlaw... great looking wheels. Great picture too. How did you post that?

NoahinBR... no, I didn't need to lift it. And the wheels I used are pull offs from a 05 Pathfinder so they are way cheaper that way. Some one wanted custom wheels so they had them pull off the stockers so that's what I went with (the stockers). I like um. :D
Very nice toto... I seriously considered that same wheel setup, had some lined up here local and the guy backed out. Was so frustrated and tired of the stock steelies I broke down and bought 20s. So far I have no regrets.
I signed up for a free photobucket account and upload images to my album, then link the pic to the post. CLICK ME

#20 · (Edited)
This is my truck.

#21 ·
totomojo and canes5time,

I'm a little new to the "mods" game, but I REALLY like the idea of still using the Nissan wheels.

How'd you go about finding the pathfinder wheels? canes5time, did you get those from the dealer?

All of those Frontier pictures look great, I dare not post my poor little 15's on here!! Ha ha... But I love the truck!!

#22 ·
noahinBR said:
totomojo and canes5time,

I'm a little new to the "mods" game, but I REALLY like the idea of still using the Nissan wheels.

How'd you go about finding the pathfinder wheels? canes5time, did you get those from the dealer?

All of those Frontier pictures look great, I dare not post my poor little 15's on here!! Ha ha... But I love the truck!!
I was orginally looking for factory wheels... They are all over ebay. Check the for sale threads on all the Frontier forums also. Sometimes you can find them at discount tire, they took my steelies on trade.

#23 ·
I actually got them from a member, VQPedro. He has the SE and bought the Nismo wheels. I got a sweeeet deal on them too. I looked on ebay, the prices are sometimes good. But, good golly, the shipping charges will kill ya!

#24 ·
noahinBR said:
totomojo and canes5time,

How'd you go about finding the pathfinder wheels?
NoahinBR,
I got mine from a Tire Factory dealer in Everett, WA. I was in getting them rotated today and mentioned that I've been talking wheels on the web with some owners and the guy said he would ship anywhere. I'll get his e-mail (I left his card at work) and let you know what it is. Couldn't hurt to get a quote. Note: I get no kickback from this. I just thought they gave me a real good deal and maybe they can give you one too. I paid $875.00 for new p265/65R17 General AW's and the almost new flawless Pathfinder wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.