Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Most suggest that you flush every 30k and if you go beyond that, a drain/fill will be your friend as a flush may fubar your trans.

P.S. We do not have a replacable filter. You cna drop the pan and clean it but its not a standard replacable filter.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh ok didnt know about the filter... what is the best to clean it with? And if im hearing you right just do as shinnermiller did and drain pan and add and not do the entire system.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
its just a metal screen from my understanding. when the dealer did my flush 2 years ago (30k), they said that the reverse flow of the flush cleaned the filter, so they didnt need to drop it... who knows how accurate that is. but it shouldnt require anything special to clean.

ill need to do my trans fluid again before xmas when i do a full 75k maintenance (plugs, coolant, belt, diffs, t-case, etc,etc... still deciding which direction to go (flush again, or drain and fill).

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Personally I had mine flushed at 30k and then will drain and fill every 15k afterwards (ie 45, 60, 75, 90, etc...).

If you flush it, most places use a pressure system that could kill your seals and the reverse flow can push the contaminates back into the valve body seloinds which will kill your trans, not really kill it but kill the valve body which costs between 500-900 to have rebuilt.

You may want to also buy a drain plug washer. It may not need replacing but the FSM says its a disposable part that should be replaces everytime, same for diffs and oil pan.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
every 15 seems a little excessive to me. not that i would wait the 100k that the manufacturer recommends, but trans fluid's gotta last longer than 15k... and for what it costs, i think its over the top. 30k, sure.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
A flush every 15k is a bit much unless you work for a dealer and then it is cheap. A drain/fill is a lot cheaper especially since you can only drain around 4-5 qts and aftermarket fluid (M1, Redline, Amsoil, etc...) is pretty cheap when compared to the dealer stuff. I think the M1 is about 6-7 a quart so that is a lot better then the 12-18 at the dealer. I just think that it is cheap insurance if you beat on your truck since the fluid can get hot and degrade faster then you would think. Plus our trans temp gauge sucks so its better safe then sorry in my book.

·
Registered
919 Posts
My recommendation is, if your doing it yourself, just do a drain and fill every 15k miles. It's just easy to do.
It's a waste of time to drop the pan. It is sealed great from the factory and once you mess with it, chances are your going to have leaks from it in the future. That metal screen isn't going to have anything in it, either. If it does, you probably have bigger problems to worry about.

·
Registered
141 Posts
every 15 seems a little excessive to me. not that i would wait the 100k that the manufacturer recommends, but trans fluid's gotta last longer than 15k... and for what it costs, i think its over the top. 30k, sure.
I agree that 15K is a little to often, unless you're constantly towing or really working that transmission super hard.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Do the poor man's flush:
Open the out going tranny line at the radiator, connect a rubber hose of some type to carry the fluid down to a big 'ol drain pan, start the vehicle, and run it thru the gears for a minute or so.
Estimate how much fluid is in the pan and pour an equal amount of some high dollar Amsoil in the tranny.
Repeat three or four times, top the tranny fluid, and forget about it for 100k.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
All it cost me is my time,i see what fluids look like daily at different mileage and i want mine to go the distance cause i won't be getting another one for a long time.I'm a firm believer in dirty fluids can cause oil leaks and seals/hoses to harden.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So what's the best fluid to use? Anyone have the specs?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Nissan says to use the Matic J or S (S replaced J but is apparently the same). You can use the OEM stuff, M1, Amsoil, etc....

Everyone will probably say the Amsoil is best but if you do a drain/fill once a year then M1 or another quality syn oil will do. What it comes down to is price. If you can get Amsoil locally then it could be worth it but for most, it has to be shipped and thus it becomes too expensive for a yearly drain/fill.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Ohhh, if you are auto then the Matic J AutoMatic Trans Fluid, if you are a manual, then it is different. You have to check your manual to confirm what it requires and then go to the autoparts store and buy the fluid that works.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks, I still have some time considering my mileage is currently 22k.

·
Registered
88 Posts
To flush or not to flush.

All dealership service folks I've spoken with try to high pressure you into a flush, usually with a BG machine. And then they talk out of the other side of their neck... because they tell you you can only use Matic J.
Wonder if they're using BG fluid and not telling you, and if not, wonder if BG likes that their machine is pumping someone else's brand. LOL.

On the other hand, Nissan of North America threatens to void your warranty if you do any kind of aftermarket flush (They really should do something about the stealership service dept. hustlers):

Attachments

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I'd imagine that the BG fluid is Matic J capitable. I think ZeroSixLE is using BG products with no problems. This is also the reason why I will be doing a drain/fill every 15k from now on. Flushed at 30k and then drain/fill from then on since warranty ends at 60k.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If the label says it's compatible, then I would assume it is.
I was "LOL-ing" at the dealerships, because service consultants try to scare you into believing you'll screw your tranny up if you use anything but Matic J...
while pushing a BG aftermarket flush, which could lead the MFG to void your warranty.
Those people are something else.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts