Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I estimate this based off of the fact that currently, I can manage to find no appreciable fuel economy loss when I drive long distance with OD off, which is about where I'll be with 4.10 and stock tires. I may lose some mpg running a VK that way if I ever swap, but it sure would be enjoyable to drive.
That is the same method I took to justify the 4.10s to myself. No reduction in highway mileage with OD off.

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
150 Posts
That is the same method I took to justify the 4.10s to myself. No reduction in highway mileage with OD off.
Exactly. I don't start losing any mpg unless the day is extra windy, or I'm loaded down with stuff in the bed or a trailer. I drive with OD off practically everywhere that isn't a highway, and on the highway testing I did I found 0 difference. In some windy days it even seemed better with OD disabled.

Just seems very bizarre that a VK on 37s would do great on stock gears and get so bad with a simple gear change.

·
Registered
2009 Pro4x, Bilstein Tswap, Coastal Bumpers, 35" Milestar Pats
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Exactly. I don't start losing any mpg unless the day is extra windy, or I'm loaded down with stuff in the bed or a trailer. I drive with OD off practically everywhere that isn't a highway, and on the highway testing I did I found 0 difference. In some windy days it even seemed better with OD disabled.

Just seems very bizarre that a VK on 37s would do great on stock gears and get so bad with a simple gear change.
Yeah I know...maybe ti didn't drop it half, but it was noticeably bad where he was using more gas than me on a road trip to a trail run

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
150 Posts
Yeah I know...maybe ti didn't drop it half, but it was noticeably bad where he was using more gas than me on a road trip to a trail run
I'm not saying it didn't happen, it just seems really drastic and unexpected though if it is the case.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm not saying it didn't happen, it just seems really drastic and unexpected though if it is the case.
Either way, according to the math, 3.73 should take me back similar to factory gearing with the bigger tires, and the VK can make up for the extra weight.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I don't have an X, but that would be over 22mpg on the Frontier and I don't see any way that is possible. I never got that good of MPG when my truck was bone stock. I honestly don't believe it. I think you buddy is pulling your leg. For reference, I just looked up a 2012 QX56 and its rated at 20mpg highway stock.

I saw no drop in MPG when going to from stock 3.36 to 4.10. That is with 33's, auto, titan swapped, heavy, with a roof rack and RTT above the bed. The truck is obviously happier with the gears, less hunting and better part throttle power. I think it is unrealistic in general however to assume you can switch to a VK, run bigger tires, gear, and get the same or better MPG. Obviously the VK will be happier with a longer gear ratio than the VQ.
Just rereading this again as I was at work when I first saw it.

When I got my 09 Pro4x with 280k km on it, I had a couple trips where we got 20-22 mpg, and that was a small lift and AT tires. I drive like a grandpa when I hit the highway so that probably helps.

There are a few people, not many, but a couple that I have talked to, that have armored trucks with big tires and extra gear that VK swapped and got 20 mpg. They just use the economy tune, didn't go with a big loud exhaust that would result in getting into the throttle more, and drove like pansies. Soon enough, I will be able to give some solid numbers as I usually track my fuel but recently during the snow wheeling months, its too depressing. A couple months back I barely got 200 km(120 miles) out of a tank, but we were crawling at 5 psi in up to 5 ft of snow and getting people unstuck for a solid 6 hours.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts