Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pro4x, Bilstein Tswap, Coastal Bumpers, 35" Milestar Pats
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a M205 3 rib that is out and getting a e-locker installed in a couple months. I also have my Titan M226 out of the truck waiting to get modified and installed in the truck. I recently decided to jump up to 3.73 gears while it is all out. This is all new to me, but I will have a buddy installing it for me. I am trying to figure out what I need to replace to do the R&P. At first I thought it was just the gears, but I have since learned I will need a new pinion bearing. What else NEEDS to be replaced for it to go smoothly. The M205 has super low km, and the M226 is in excellent condition as well.

Decided on the 3.73 as I am on 35s and will be going to a VK soon, which I think will be a perfect balance for economy and offroad performance.

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
150 Posts
Ideally you buy a “master installation kit” for each diff and then the ring and pinion kits as well. The master installation kit includes all bearings, seals, and shims that the regear job requires.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My advice is always the same. Go with the tallest gears you can, especially if you are going with 35s. 3.73 (3.69??) are not that much different than stock. You're going through all that expense, do it right the first time.

As for what to replace? Everything while you have it out. Might as well. Bearings and seals are not that expensive in the long run and you'll never have a better or easier time replacing them.

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
150 Posts
My advice is always the same. Go with the tallest gears you can, especially if you are going with 35s. 3.73 (3.69??) are not that much different than stock. You're going through all that expense, do it right the first time.

As for what to replace? Everything while you have it out. Might as well. Bearings and seals are not that expensive in the long run and you'll never have a better or easier time replacing them.
Agreed fully. I didn’t want to start an alternate discussion about what gears to choose but even with the VK I would be going 4.10 for 35’s. If I had the VQ then 4.56.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hit me with it.

My plan was to stay stock at 3.36. My buddy has an Xterra on 37s with a VK and was running the trails with stock gears for 2 years. Then he put in 4.56 and his fuel economy basically cut in half.

The truck is a overlanding inspired rig, so fuel economy has a better function over crawling.

Also should mention that I am constantly having a all out war in my mind about going back to 33s after this set of 35s wear out.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hit me with it.

My plan was to stay stock at 3.36. My buddy has an Xterra on 37s with a VK and was running the trails with stock gears for 2 years. Then he put in 4.56 and his fuel economy basically cut in half.

The truck is a overlanding inspired rig, so fuel economy has a better function over crawling.

Also should mention that I am constantly having a all out war in my mind about going back to 33s after this set of 35s wear out.
I have contemplated 35's so many times but ended up going 33 strictly because of wear and tear, and fuel economy. Like you I need some travel/do it all capability. I reckon if you could find a set of 3.92/3.93 gears that would be a good compromise as well.

IMO unless you're really crawling and doing a lot of rock work, 33's are more than enough for our trucks. You may utilize your armor a little more, but that is what it is for. The reduced stress on the whole drivetrain at 33s vs 35s plus fuel economy.

I wish there were more 34 sized tire options, as that is a nice little inbetween and not much weight added.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have contemplated 35's so many times but ended up going 33 strictly because of wear and tear, and fuel economy. Like you I need some travel/do it all capability. I reckon if you could find a set of 3.92/3.93 gears that would be a good compromise as well.

IMO unless you're really crawling and doing a lot of rock work, 33's are more than enough for our trucks. You may utilize your armor a little more, but that is what it is for. The reduced stress on the whole drivetrain at 33s vs 35s plus fuel economy.

I wish there were more 34 sized tire options, as that is a nice little inbetween and not much weight added.
The reason I did go up to 35s is because on a 10 day camping/wheeling trip, being weighed down with gear, I came to a ledge that I just needed a bump over. That bump resulted in a dented skid plate that kept rattling off of something for the rest of the trip, and the guys on 35s walked right over it.

The research I have done says that a 3.73 gear is the perfect match for the truck to be where it was at factory for speedo and power, minus the additional weight. It's honestly not that bad for power right now with the 3.36. It's just a dog on fuel.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I currently have a M205 3 rib that is out and getting a e-locker installed in a couple months. I also have my Titan M226 out of the truck waiting to get modified and installed in the truck. I recently decided to jump up to 3.73 gears while it is all out. This is all new to me, but I will have a buddy installing it for me. I am trying to figure out what I need to replace to do the R&P. At first I thought it was just the gears, but I have since learned I will need a new pinion bearing. What else NEEDS to be replaced for it to go smoothly. The M205 has super low km, and the M226 is in excellent condition as well.

Decided on the 3.73 as I am on 35s and will be going to a VK soon, which I think will be a perfect balance for economy and offroad performance.
Who makes an e-locker for the M205?

Do you have 3.69s in the back? I don't think there is a 3.69 for the M205, and was told that you can match a rear 3.69 with a front 3.73. That it is close enough to not have 4wd issues.

You are also auto tranny correct? I am planning on going 33's this summer and concerned about the gearing with 3.69 and a clutch.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Do you have 3.69s in the back? I don't think there is a 3.69 for the M205, and was told that you can match a rear 3.69 with a front 3.73. That it is close enough to not have 4wd issues.

You are also auto tranny correct? I am planning on going 33's this summer and concerned about the gearing with 3.69 and a clutch.
I am an auto with 3.36. I will be putting 3.73 in both front and rear.

As for the e-locker, TRE4x4 is making one here shortly. It should be on the market in a couple of months.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Nope. Do Not Ever mismatch the gear ratios, there's no such thing as "it should be fine, it's close enough". IMHO I'd suggest to stop listening to whoever told you that.

Reactions: Skinny06

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope. Do Not Ever mismatch the gear ratios, there's no such thing as "it should be fine, it's close enough". IMHO I'd suggest to stop listening to whoever told you that.
Ford used to offer this in the 70s. Not saying it's right, but the difference between a 3.69 gear and a 3.73 is probably less than running tires at 50% in the front and new tires in the rear.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Ford used to offer this in the 70s. Not saying it's right, but the difference between a 3.69 gear and a 3.73 is probably less than running tires at 50% in the front and new tires in the rear.
0.04 to 1 would hardly be noticeable.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
0.04 to 1 would hardly be noticeable.
That may be so but with a 100% locked connection between front and rear, I'll let you risk it & report back how it goes. There will be continual slip / fighting between each axle and the centre diff. My money goes to doing it right or not doing it at all. If we had a viscous centre connection, sure no worries. Only the on-demand Pathfinder's were blessed with that, according to my recollections.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
That may be so but with a 100% locked connection between front and rear, I'll let you risk it & report back how it goes. There will be continual slip / fighting between each axle and the centre diff. My money goes to doing it right or not doing it at all. If we had a viscous centre connection, sure no worries. Only the on-demand Pathfinder's were blessed with that, according to my recollections.
The reason this came up was when folks with 3.69 Frontiers wanted to upgrade to M205. There is no 3.69 M205 gear to match only the 3.73. I recall there was a thread discussing this, and that a few people did it.

Nissan Titan Ring & Pinion Gears (A60) 2004 - 2015 (ruggedrocksoffroad.com)

Couldn't find a first hand account but these are some of the threads I was referencing
3.73 Gears | Nissan Frontier Forum (clubfrontier.org)
3.69 rear and 3.73 front gears | Nissan Frontier Forum (clubfrontier.org)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
This is why they say don't use 4 low on a hard surface, on loose surface the difference of .04 is meaningless and as stated is less of a difference than if you had a 10psi tire pressure difference frnt-rear.Svc manual states up to a 10% frnt to rear bias is acceptable to traction control/abs system software.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Even with the VK I would go with 4.10s on 35s. I have 4:10s with 33s with the VQ and auto trans. Its real nice. I wouldn't go less than 4.56 with 35s and the 4.0L.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Even with the VK I would go with 4.10s on 35s. I have 4:10s with 33s with the VQ and auto trans. Its real nice. I wouldn't go less than 4.56 with 35s and the 4.0L.
I dunno tho. My buddy with his VK Xterra on 4.56/37s/VK gets worse fuel economy than I do with 3.36/35s/VQ. Using the bigger tires, and torque from the VK with his 3.36 gears he was getting over 700 KM to a tank(435+ miles) on 37s. He had no intentions of going to 4.56 but stumbled across a set of axles with 4.56 for free so he put them in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I dunno tho. My buddy with his VK Xterra on 4.56/37s/VK gets worse fuel economy than I do with 3.36/35s/VQ. Using the bigger tires, and torque from the VK with his 3.36 gears he was getting over 700 KM to a tank(435+ miles) on 37s. He had no intentions of going to 4.56 but stumbled across a set of axles with 4.56 for free so he put them in.
I don't have an X, but that would be over 22mpg on the Frontier and I don't see any way that is possible. I never got that good of MPG when my truck was bone stock. I honestly don't believe it. I think you buddy is pulling your leg. For reference, I just looked up a 2012 QX56 and its rated at 20mpg highway stock.

I saw no drop in MPG when going to from stock 3.36 to 4.10. That is with 33's, auto, titan swapped, heavy, with a roof rack and RTT above the bed. The truck is obviously happier with the gears, less hunting and better part throttle power. I think it is unrealistic in general however to assume you can switch to a VK, run bigger tires, gear, and get the same or better MPG. Obviously the VK will be happier with a longer gear ratio than the VQ.

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
150 Posts
There's got to be an error in the math somewhere or some lying.... 22 mpg on 37's does not sound right at all.

JPs experiences match my own with regearing, although I don't have particular Frontier or VK regear experience. Every time I've seen a Jeep be regeared, it gets better highway mpg due to having to not try as hard maintaining speed with the higher rpm. The higher rpm has never hurt mpg in my experience. 22 with a VK, 37's and stock gears and half that for 11 mpg simply from a regear to 4.56 sounds way way off. Are we sure the distances were calculated right?

I'm still planning to regear on stock tires from 3.36 to 4.10, I expect no loss of fuel mileage. I estimate this based off of the fact that currently, I can manage to find no appreciable fuel economy loss when I drive long distance with OD off, which is about where I'll be with 4.10 and stock tires. I may lose some mpg running a VK that way if I ever swap, but it sure would be enjoyable to drive.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dunno. He said he could almost make it to his work from home for work every shift change and need to full up about 100 km from work. His work according to Google maps is 839 km. He also said he would have cruise set at or just below the speed limit, and half of the drive was on the flat prairies.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts