Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on my buddy 06 F150 FX4.
How hard is it to change one of these seals?
I havent looked at his truck yet but he says its leaking where the shaft goes in.
Thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
i had the dealership do mine under warrenty. it doesnt look fun, i would think the driveshaft needs to be removed

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nismo4x2.
Removing the drivshaft would be the easy part.
I just hope the seal difficutly is similar to changing a front wheel bearing seal.
I apperciate it!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
now would also be a good tiem to figure why he needs a new gasket. alot of the nissans have ventiliation problems in the rear axle. which is why mine needed replacement. i added a diff breather to prevent it from happeening in the future.

·
Registered
378 Posts
This is on my buddy 06 F150 FX4.
How hard is it to change one of these seals?
I havent looked at his truck yet but he says its leaking where the shaft goes in.
Thanks for any replies!
Is there excessive radial play on the pinion shaft? Does the gear oil in the differential have a silverish tint to it? If yes is the answer to either question, then you'll need more than a pinion seal.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
we used to pull on the park brake real hard to lock the rear end
drop the drive shaft
Undo the large pinion nut
remove the yoke
replace the seal and reverse the procedure.
Just be aware to do this propelry you need to use a tension wrench to get the correct preload onto the pinion spacers.

No thats what we used to do on Ford 9 inch diffs so should be faily close

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Ive replaced mine and was easy...I didnt remove driveshaft, but I did unbolt it from the carrier bearing ( i have 2 piece driveshaft) and then slide it out of the way. Got pliers and removed old one (comes out pretty easy). Clean the area where the seal is going and slip the other one on. Tap on it with your hands to make sure its securely on...Then just slide driveshaft back into place.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Is there excessive radial play on the pinion shaft? Does the gear oil in the differential have a silverish tint to it? If yes is the answer to either question, then you'll need more than a pinion seal.
If you don't have radial play on the pinion, or silverish tinted gear oil, hopefully your breather is just plugged with mud and caused your pinion seal to blow out. Be grateful its not an axle shaft seal (more work). Anyway, chock your front wheels, jack up the rear axle, drop the driveline or swing it to the side, tape up the cross with elec tape so your caps don't come off, you don't want to lose needle bearings. Before you undo the pinion nut, scribe a line across one flat of the pinion nut, then scribe another at the end of the pinion shaft so the two marks line up. Undo the pinion nut and pull the yoke off, r&r the seal, sometimes a slide hammer with a sheet metal screw will work, other times a hooked prybar works too. Clean the area, put some wheel bearing grease on the backside of the seal spring, this will keep it from popping out when you drive the new seal in. Put the yoke on, put the pinion nut on the shaft and tighten till your two marks line up, this should put your pinion bearing preload in the ball park. Put everything back on and check your gear oil level. You should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I just did mine this past spring. I'm not sure how different a Ford will be, but it wasn't exactly easy for me. The pinion nut was on crazy tight and I had to do some serious griding on a socket to get it to fit. Even with a breaker bar and cheater bar I couldn't break it loose, and I'm not weak. I ended up propping the breaker bar on a floor jack and busting it loose that way. The breaker bar was bending so much I thought something was about to snap! Technically it wasn't a hard job, I'd try to find a shop manual or something though to make sure everything's in spec.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts