Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that has difficulty changing the oil filter? My arms and hands just don't shrink and bend the right ways to get it done. It just shouldn't be this difficult.

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
i'm assuming you have a gen2 (05+)? first oil change? if so, yes i literally crushed my oil filter just to get it off (the one on it from the factory)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
yeah.. the factory guys like to super glue the filter on and leave other sh*t finger tight. lol.

Did you take the skid cover off?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
That access door for the filter should be twice the size it is. My hands and arms aren't that big, and I don't have enough room to get to the filter. I'm thinking of getting rid of the skids for the next oil change.

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
i took mine off to grease my (poly) sway bar bushings, changed the oil, realized how much easier it is to do it this way and left the thing off

·
Registered
791 Posts
That access door for the filter should be twice the size it is. My hands and arms aren't that big, and I don't have enough room to get to the filter. I'm thinking of getting rid of the skids for the next oil change.

I usually just remove the access door so it can drain, and then reach my arm up around the passengers side of the skid.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What's it like with the shrockworks bumper, I noticed it just has a little round port hole. I haven't had to change my oil yet since installing it so I'm curious.

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
I bet if we weren't laying on the ground it wouldn't be as bad. Standing under the truck would position your arm/hand differently.

Clint

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Wow I can't believe people are complaining about changing an oil filter. God help you guys if you ever have to do some real work.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
turn the wheel all the way to the right and go in through the wheel well. After you get the thing started turning, slide a ziplock freezer bag over the filter and oil cooler and spin it off into the bag= no mess

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I usually just remove the access door so it can drain, and then reach my arm up around the passengers side of the skid.
I do it the same way and its pretty simple using this method.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
i find there's plenty of space through the access door. kind of looking forward to my next oil change to try out the fumoto valve that i installed on the last one.

·
Registered
717 Posts
turn the wheel all the way to the right and go in through the wheel well. After you get the thing started turning, slide a ziplock freezer bag over the filter and oil cooler and spin it off into the bag= no mess
I have never had any trouble changing my oil filter, LOL, but good idea on the ziplock bag! That'll save me elbow grease on degreasing the garage afterward.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
That's exactly what I did too, but my forearms wound up all scratched up, from being wedged against the skid plate, when I was trying to get the filter off.

Wow I can't believe people are complaining about changing an oil filter. God help you guys if you ever have to do some real work.
Lifting my truck was easier than crawling under the truck and getting the oil filter off.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
To make your oil change easier, why not use the door edge trim that you can buy at almost any auto store or even kmart/walmart/target. Just remove the access door, slip this over the edges. It may help to do this when it is a little warm so it bends nicely. Then put the door back on and over the next couple of weeks, it should be "squished" into place so you don't have to worry about it falling off again and you scratching yourself.

Personally, I just remove the lower plastic and skid when I do my oil change. It only takes 1-1.5hrs to do this whole thing from start to finish.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Never had an issue getting the filter out, except for the scratched up forearm thing. I actually think it is fairly well designed compared to some newer vehicles..... The door edge guard sounds like a good suggestion.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
The edge guard is a good idea, but my issue was that the filter just wouldn't come off with any of the filter wrenches I had. Eventually I got it off with a big Channel Lock. I bought one of those filter wrenches with three arms that tighten as you turn it and goes on the end of a ratchet. If that doesn't work, I'm either cutting a bigger access door or getting use to taking off the skid plate. Far from impossible, just a pain in the butt without a lift.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Removing the skid plate is best thing for the first oil change. This gives the owner a better look at what they are dealing with. Then they can do the access door route after that and know what they are touching when they can't see it.

Side Note: If anyone decides to do the e-fan mod, they can now reach the filter from the top of the motor. This is what I can do but I still decide to remove the skid and check everything out while I am under there.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts