Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured I would do this as a little early maintenance. I didnt want o wait for the 105K or whatever nissan says to change them at. Since I was off for today and tomorrow, I figured might as well do this. I planned on it being a while, with removing the plenum and all, but to my very pleasant surprise, I was able to change the plugs out, WITHOUT removing the plenum. The only pesky part was the #1 coil wire. It's not long enough to be moved, it has to be unclipped, and its kinda cramped there to do so, but a little patience and it was good to go. The only tools I needed were a 3/8" ratchet, an 8" extension, 3" locking wobble extension, one universal joint and the 5/8" plug socket, and a 10mm socket to undo the coil bolts. All in all took 45 minutes, but 15 of that was trying to find a coil bolt that I dropped(which was hiding underneath the coolant bottle).
After removing all the plugs, they still looked to be in really good shape. I would say, 75K is probably a more wise time to wait to. I replaced them with the NGK Iridium IX, just because I get a good price on them and why not put the best in the truck. Heres the pics of the plugs:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
and the rest

·
Registered
194 Posts
youre a braver soul than i to do all six yourself. :goodjob:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Nice job! One of mine never end up getting done. I couldn't get to the very back one next to the firewall on the passenger side but didn't take anything apart so I need to do it again.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
OMG! You have a 12 cyl!!! J/K, J/K!! Agree, they look decent for the time on them. IMO they look almost half way gone... so in another 50K you should be at the interval to change them. Looks like that adds up! Good job!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I agree, your plugs look very good for their age. Your fueling looks spot on.
How long have you had the engine mods?
The intake has been on(The nismo intake for almost 2 years, i had an airraid for a few months and a volant for about a monthand a half) The IMS has been on for about a year and a half, and I've been tuned for alsmot the same year and a half.

Nice job! One of mine never end up getting done. I couldn't get to the very back one next to the firewall on the passenger side but didn't take anything apart so I need to do it again.
Thats one of the easier ones. The large harness that is clipped to a brass braket needs to be moved to get the coil out. There is a hole on the underside of the braket. Push in with a small screwdriver and the tab is released, just pull the harness up and off the bracket, gives you all the room you need.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
... I was able to change the plugs out, WITHOUT removing the plenum. ... The only pesky part was the #1 coil wire. ...
You deserve a round of applause. That's great to know that it can be done without the hassle of removing the plenum and your work description is excellent! You mentioned a "locking wobble extension", but is that like a typical wobble extension, but with one of those little spring balls at the top so that it doesn't fall off the ratchet? I imagine you don't want to lose an extension part anywhere.

I just looked on Sears' site for a 3" Wobble Extension and saw a post from a Subaru owner who loves his wobble extension. Changing plugs on a boxer engine is a pain as well - the fender wells are close up against each head.

·
Super Moderator
19,826 Posts
You deserve a round of applause. That's great to know that it can be done without the hassle of removing the plenum and your work description is excellent! You mentioned a "locking wobble extension", but is that like a typical wobble extension, but with one of those little spring balls at the top so that it doesn't fall off the ratchet? I imagine you don't want to lose an extension part anywhere.

I just looked on Sears' site for a 3" Wobble Extension and saw a post from a Subaru owner who loves his wobble extension. Changing plugs on a boxer engine is a pain as well - the fender wells are close up against each head.
I've done a Subaru spark plug replacement. I just put the socket with a short extension in the hole before attaching the ratchet. Not too difficult. I will probably change my own plugs around 80,000 miles. I changed the ones in my Maxima at 60.000 and they looked good.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I will second the "lockable" wobble extension question.

All wobble extensions I have used in the past had no locking position. A mechanic friend taught me the benefit of a few rounds of electrical tape on a wobble extension though. That helps it be firm not floppy, but still bendable.

·
Super Moderator
19,826 Posts
I will second the "lockable" wobble extension question.

All wobble extensions I have used in the past had no locking position. A mechanic friend taught me the benefit of a few rounds of electrical tape on a wobble extension though. That helps it be firm not floppy, but still bendable.
You must be talking about a universal with tape wrapped around it. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A locking wobble is not a universal(but you need one of those too) its a normal extension, but the end of it has a narrower base where the socket goes so the socket can wobble a little bit. The locking part is like the standard ball on other extension, but you have to slide a lock to release the socket, not needed but its nice not to lose a socket down in the spark tubes.

As for performance increase, it justrestoring the original, not gaining any more. It does idle smoother now, and the throttle response seems a little snapier, but this is just the way the truck is from the factory.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
A locking wobble is not a universal(but you need one of those too) its a normal extension, but the end of it has a narrower base where the socket goes so the socket can wobble a little bit. The locking part is like the standard ball on other extension, but you have to slide a lock to release the socket, not needed but its nice not to lose a socket down in the spark tubes.
Ok, checked into the tool(s) discussed. Knew about those, never knew the proper name.

Thanks for the new knowledge.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i changed my plugs at 73 k yesterday just using a 12 tinch wobble extension it wasnt bad and my plugs deffintly needed changed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I planned on it being a while, with removing the plenum and all, but to my very pleasant surprise, I was able to change the plugs out, WITHOUT removing the plenum.
Stupid question: What's a plenum?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts