Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went ahead and did it. Bought 20 quarts of Valvoline MaxLife full Synthetic ATF at Walmart for a grand total of $92. Change done at 64,000 miles.

For those that are wondering, yes Valvoline claims it's a suitable replacement.

Mechanic charged $100 for the complete fluid exchange and did not use a pressurized flush system as he's aware of the tech note on this from Nissan. Had him run all 20 quarts through to help insure a good flush

Truck shifts MUCH smoother, whether up or down. So smooth in fact that I first though it wasn't shifting from 1st to 2nd in town until I paid very close attention. Seems to coast better too.

Got about 500 miles on it so far, some up in the mountains on dirt roads.

Taking a 1000+ mile trip this week. Will see if it affected gas mileage. So far I'm very happy with this swap.
::smile::

·
Super Moderator
3,681 Posts
It's good stuff! Works great on older Nissan and other Asian transmissions that used Dexron/Dexron II ATF, the Nissan RE5 auto trannies, Ford/Mazda transmissions that require the Mazda MV ATF and many others. I've never had any issues caused by Maxlife ATF.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I took mine to a shop that uses pretty much exclusively MaxLife. Unfortunately they did a chemical flush that I didn't ask for which I thought most mechanics are against. Now it shifts a lot less smoother

·
Super Moderator
3,681 Posts
That's the problem with ATF fluid exchangers. The exchanger, itself, it great. It's the pre-conditioner and/or additive they install after the flush that is the problem. They could run the exchanger without the chemicals, but that's more money they can charge you.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Been doing standard D/Fs on the 15-20k mark since new and now issue with either M1 or ML ATF. Running strong with 127k.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts