Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy **** did it look ugly. The magnetic drain plug was full of small metal bits, the oil was dark, dark grey with a lot of shimmering metal floating in it. I was a bit suprised by this, as I don't ever offroad and all my 4X4 time was on snowy/ icy roads. I'm glad it's changed out now.

Now it's on to the 6spd tranny and the 2 diff's.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
everything in the t case is always spinning weather your in 4wd or not so weather you use 4wd or not it still gets worn out pretty fast. same with your front diff fluid. but that atf in the t case seems to get nasty extra fast.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
everything in the t case is always spinning weather your in 4wd or not so weather you use 4wd or not it still gets worn out pretty fast. same with your front diff fluid. but that atf in the t case seems to get nasty extra fast.
Free spinning in the case won't wear out the fluid nearly as fast. There's not nearly the amount of friction and heat if the front end isn't engaged. I'm not sure what your point is.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
my point is that friction and heat is still there, half the t case and the front diff may not be powered by the engine but the truck is moving so the wheels are spinning which is powering everything to spin. its not really "free" spinning but being powered to spin from the opposite way, instead of the power going from the other half of the t case to the drive shaft to the diff then the half shafts then the wheels its going the opposite way. if you check out the how to in the diy section on how to change your front, rear, and t case fluid the poster drove his truck before doing the job and took temp readings before starting each one. he did the rear first and it was at 139 when he started, then after the rear diff he did the front diff and after cooling over the time it too to do the rear it was as 113, then after he was done with the front was the t case, once again everything has continued to cool and it was at 105. take into account cooling time and i'm sure everything was at fairly close temps to each other, a drop of 30* during the time it took to do the rest of the drain and fills doesn't seem crazy to me

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
even without the friction he speaks of (which is correct), a diff that is always spinning will wear faster than a diff that only spins in 4x4 (such as those vehicles with manual hubs).

I think that is his point. Spinning hubs wear faster than non-spinning hubs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts