Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2006 se king cab automatic. Iv'e had it for two months now and love this truck. anyways my buddy has a 2002 dodge dakota extra cab with the 5.9 v8 engine and a flowmaster exhaust, if that makes a difference. when he found out about my truck he just dogged it saying its weak it's only got a punny v6. I was quick to defend myself and told him that my hp and torque ratings were higher than his and his v8 has stone aged technology. Then he kind went through a list of stuff his truck can do like he said he could tow 6100 pounds and I quickly said well I can tow 6500 pounds, it was almost like anything you can do I could do better. He ran out of stuff to say and just said theres only one way to settle this, lets just strap on some chains and pull. I said no cuz I thinks thats asking for trouble as far as breaking things. He was like thats right my truck will break yours egging me on. my ego got the best of me and I said fine lets do it. But we only had cargo rope so we didn't do it and agreed we'd do it another time. maybe this weekend. Iv'e never done this before so I need some suggestions as far as technique goes. Both our trucks are RWD. I was thinking to just mash the throttle but that will make me spin my tires and lose traction which is no good. Anyways those of you that has done this before I need your advice. I want to win for the ultimate bragging rights

·
Registered
204 Posts
Are you guys talking about chainning your trucks together and seeing who can pull who, if so I think that is a bad idea. Why dont you guys just settle it with a good ole fashion drag race at the track. I think this would be a good test to see whose truck is stronger, in that case I think you can beat him. It may be tough if it is one of those R/T dakotas, but I think the frontier will surprise him, I know I have surprised people with mine.

Will

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
I agree. Although street racing is stupid enough. Chaining two vehicles together is just idiotic. Bending or breaking something could be an expensive way to prove a point.

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't chain the trucks together, just a bad idea!! Just dust his a$$ in a race and he'll shut up!! Unless his dodge is a Manual tranny, then he might win and you don't want that to happen. :twisted:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldnt do it, a chain or tow rope could braek and come back into one of the trucks or somebody and hurt or kill them, not a good idea just trying to prove MY TRUCK IS BETTER, Ill tell ya right now YOUR TRUCK IS WAY BETTER. Find a back road were no one travels much and line them up, your Frontier should smoke his Dakota, OR just let him drive your truck, that should shut him up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Danm we never thought of racing. We just got stuck on the whole power thing. Speed never crossed my mind. I know my truck is fast I have no Idea about his, well see this weekend.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Keep us updated, I am anxious to hear the outcome.

Will

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Don't the biggest V8 they offer only have 250 HP? I think they have 2 V8 & 1 V6 options 210 HP 230 HP & 250 HP

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
My only advice if you hook up is to have some weight in your bed when you do it. As far as racing a Dakota R/T, be careful. I have raced them before and beat them, but that was in my GTP. You can expect low 15's to high 14's out of them stock. The one I raced was weak from a dig, so you could try that. Also, study up on his gear ratio, what tranny he has, etc. and pick a roll that would benefit you. For example, 4spd. autos dont pull as hard from certain mph such as 40mph (very low in 2nd gear). 20mph roll is great for our trucks, but is also in the heart of 1st gear for a 4spd. Be sure you are running premium also. Every little bit will help.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you do pull, make sure you put a blanket or such in the center of the chain, so if it breaks it goes down not up and through your window.
I would do it in 4x4 if that is available for you.

I like the drag race idea better
I agree if it is a R/T don't drag

·
Registered
149 Posts
R/Ts are automatic only. You should, with a 6spd, be able to pull away from it in a drag. (edit: I see you have an automatic... nevermind - the Frontier Automatics, to me, felt slow)

This whole pull thing just reeks of something going horribly wrong.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm itching soooooo bad to get to the drag strip, this weekend may finally be my chance, if the weather actually holds. I really wanna know what my 6 speed will doo.

·
Registered
204 Posts
SpikedLemon said:
R/Ts are automatic only. You should, with a 6spd, be able to pull away from it in a drag. (edit: I see you have an automatic... nevermind - the Frontier Automatics, to me, felt slow)

This whole pull thing just reeks of something going horribly wrong.
A member of this forum ran a 15.0 at 95mph, and he has an automatic. I do not think that is slow by no means for a truck other than a Lightning or SRT-10. If my memory seves me right R/T Dakotas run around a mid to low 15 in the 1/4mile. The orginal poster did not specify that it is a R/T, so I doubt it is because I know the Dodge guy would have brought that point up. Good luck and keep us updated on the outcome.

Will

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't see how pulling would prove anything. The person that gets the best traction and has the most weight will most likely win reguardless of who has more power. That's just my opionion. Like everyone else said drag race...maybe best out of 3 or something.

If you do the pulling thing were would you hook the chain/straps to? I doubt whatever you hook it to is designed to hold that much pressure from a tug a war.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If it is an R/T it will be close... if it's anything less, he'll be TOAST.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He didn't mention it being and R/T so I don't know I'll see him on Sunday so I'll find out then. But he did bragg about his 5.9 liters. We'll see I don't know what to expect

1 - 20 of 91 Posts