Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking to see what kind / brand of chain you guys use to lock up your spare tire....

....anyone have any special ways of "routing" the chain ?

i just bought my frontier and want to make sure my full size spare stays put !

thanks

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
just put it through the rim and around a crossmember. get a rubber sleve coated chain or it is going to make some noise.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I use a bike lock cable and wrap it around a solid structure. I know it's hardly theft proof but where I live crime is pretty much non-existent.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine came with the Nissan Spare Tire lock. It was part of my deal when I traded my G35 in on my truck a few years ago. You can purchase it from any Nissan Dealer or online at most of them. It runs about 34 bucks. I used to use chains and have had 2 spare tires stolen over the last 10 years.

Nissan Spare Tire Lock - 2005 to 2009 Frontier :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com
i will have to look again, but I know i have the "extension" piece that is silver in color ( going by the link you posted ) but I will have to recheck for the gold piece.
i briefly looked @ the jack / tools in the compartment.........

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
Make sure any lock you use gets lubed REGULARLY. I made that mistake once and when needing to lower the spare to check air pressure, found out the hard way. At least I was able to drive to a hardware store and borrow a bolt cutter to get it off. I could only imagine if I had a flat tire........

Clint

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
$10...
_ and use it in a pinch to lock stuff in the bed.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
When the economy crashes like it has, people tend to steal everything. Instead of buying new tires, just steal the spare from 4 truck and you have new tires and rims to boot.

Heck, if you have hubcaps, then nobody will notice you have new rims/tires.

Heck, even if you spraypaint the rims a color, most will just think you removed your caps and sprayed your own.

People do stupid stuff.

This is the same reason why you need to lock your car at night even thou it is parked infront of your house.

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
on my truck it came with matching alloy rims so 4 new trucks gets you a whole new setup.

Clint

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i do not live in a bad neighborhood, and i didn't even when i lived in chicago,
but there are people out there that steal the spares.

my dads dodge dakota back in the day, twice.
my dads 98 blazer once
and his 2000 durango, once.

you see pickups and vans driving around with the cable hanging....

maybe its different in other states,
i will lock mine for good measure

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
i do not live in a bad neighborhood, and i didn't even when i lived in chicago,
but there are people out there that steal the spares.

my dads dodge dakota back in the day, twice.
my dads 98 blazer once
and his 2000 durango, once.

you see pickups and vans driving around with the cable hanging....

maybe its different in other states,
i will lock mine for good measure
Actually there are nicer things to steal in a better neighborhood. If the penalty is the same but the pickings are better, where there is money is the place to be. I caught a guy in my driveway years ago, unfortunately for him I had a Louisville Slugger in my hands. He took a good beating and the police weren't needed as he knew never to return.

Clint

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually there are nicer things to steal in a better neighborhood. If the penalty is the same but the pickings are better, where there is money is the place to be. I caught a guy in my driveway years ago, unfortunately for him I had a Louisville Slugger in my hands. He took a good beating and the police weren't needed as he knew never to return.

Clint
good for you !

if they are on your property you are in "self defense " mode
thats what a police officer told me an dmy dad when we found someone rummaging through our garage when we were in the city.

what's wrong with these people ? it really doesnt pay to have nice things

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
When the economy crashes like it has, people tend to steal everything. Instead of buying new tires, just steal the spare from 4 truck and you have new tires and rims to boot.

Heck, if you have hubcaps, then nobody will notice you have new rims/tires.

Heck, even if you spraypaint the rims a color, most will just think you removed your caps and sprayed your own.

People do stupid stuff.

This is the same reason why you need to lock your car at night even thou it is parked infront of your house.
^long story short.
Find 4 Nismos/Pro4Xs= a set of black steelies(pun intended) and new POS BGFs.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just make sure you don't have any slack on your chain! [it may just bust through your rear glass like mine did!] I had a little slack on mine so I could raise the spare and be able to remove the lock without having to get into my truck bed and remove it from there. It was wrapped around the spokes with some plastic tubing through the spokes to protect it from scratching and the lock hung underneath held through 5 different links. It wasn't difficult to remove, but it was thick chain and the way I chained it was to deflect anyone and figure they'd say "Forget that, I'll get caught before I can get through that!" Since it is common here..

..but I learned the hard way about the positioning of my spare, haha, oops! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts