Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea for the roof rack. The two bars that are run on either side of the rack in the direction of front to back (as opposed to the cross bars) look like they come OUT of the mounting tubes.

If so, I am thinking of either:

1. Having them painted by an Auto Paint place the same color as my fronty (radiant silver in this case)

or

2. replacing them with some stainless steel tubes the same diamter and length.

My questions are

Any idea what it might cost to get them painted? And where I could find stainless steel tubing the right size?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Binford said:
I have an idea for the roof rack. The two bars that are run on either side of the rack in the direction of front to back (as opposed to the cross bars) look like they come OUT of the mounting tubes.

If so, I am thinking of either:

1. Having them painted by an Auto Paint place the same color as my fronty (radiant silver in this case)

or

2. replacing them with some stainless steel tubes the same diamter and length.

My questions are

Any idea what it might cost to get them painted? And where I could find stainless steel tubing the right size?
i had the same idea when i got my truck except i was also going to paint the mud guards, step rails, tailgate, and bottom front bumper. pacing myself on the mods (no money :( ) so never got a quote for the cost. i would assume a good paint job would be in the $200 - $400 range. this price is based on the $275 i had to pay to paint an SUV spoiler and $450 re-paint an SUV hood.

i was going to leave the tubes alone but i recently considered going to a chrome plating place and having them chromed. on the fence on this one because it might be too much "chrome" for me. i think it would look nice (to match the chrome wheels) but not sure....

·
Registered
395 Posts
The FIRST question we should be asking is if those tubes really do come off. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
298 Posts
PIMPaLiCiOuS said:
The FIRST question we should be asking is if those tubes really do come off. Anyone know for sure?
true. i cant confirm that they can be seperated. when i look at them, i think they are not fixed and it stays on because of the plastic ends...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
According to brian, from yournissanparts, the roof rack is sold in parts not a whole unit so I would believe that it could come apart.

I would strip the paint and maybe see if it could be polished, painting the bars would be at least $250.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been considering installing some LEDs or running lights or something in the plastic caps at the back of the racks that face to the rear. Could run the wires down through the tube, the mounting pedestal, drill a little hole through the roof under the foot of the rack and run the wire into the cab. Wires would be hidden and wouldn't (shouldn't) leak.

I have also been pondering getting one of those "Line of Fire" LED tubes (for under the tailgate) and installing it across the rear bar of the roof rack instead. Wiring routed as above.

Food for thought. I haven't been brave enough to pull the rack off the roof to see what it's like but it certainly seems do-able.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Q-Tip said:
I have been considering installing some LEDs or running lights or something in the plastic caps at the back of the racks that face to the rear. Could run the wires down through the tube, the mounting pedestal, drill a little hole through the roof under the foot of the rack and run the wire into the cab. Wires would be hidden and wouldn't (shouldn't) leak.

I have also been pondering getting one of those "Line of Fire" LED tubes (for under the tailgate) and installing it across the rear bar of the roof rack instead. Wiring routed as above.

Food for thought. I haven't been brave enough to pull the rack off the roof to see what it's like but it certainly seems do-able.
i also thought of that idea. i even have the line of fire already. i had it on my ranger and took it off before i traded for the frontier. im just waiting to get a wire harness to plug it in so i dont have to hack it into the taillight wires. and just a comment about putting lights in the roof rack.............the cops will be on you like flies on s#!t!!!! you think they are bad about street glow lights on rice rockets.......id hate to see what they would say about lights on the roof!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
livin_loud said:
i also thought of that idea. i even have the line of fire already. i had it on my ranger and took it off before i traded for the frontier. im just waiting to get a wire harness to plug it in so i dont have to hack it into the taillight wires. and just a comment about putting lights in the roof rack.............the cops will be on you like flies on s#!t!!!! you think they are bad about street glow lights on rice rockets.......id hate to see what they would say about lights on the roof!!!
Won't the Line of Fire cover the hole for the spare tire crank?? Is there some way to work around that?? I'd really like to have one but I don't want to block the hole.

Running afoul of the local law enforcement is something I hadn't considered while brainstorming the lights. Really, I was trying to come up with something along the lines of the big dually pickups that have the running lights across the roof -- you know, the three in the middle and one to either side along the top of the windshield. There's nothing illegal there, but the lights are always amber which is probably what makes it OK. I would expect to get in trouble if you put blue or red lights up there.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Q-Tip said:
livin_loud said:
Won't the Line of Fire cover the hole for the spare tire crank?? Is there some way to work around that?? I'd really like to have one but I don't want to block the hole.

Running afoul of the local law enforcement is something I hadn't considered while brainstorming the lights. Really, I was trying to come up with something along the lines of the big dually pickups that have the running lights across the roof -- you know, the three in the middle and one to either side along the top of the windshield. There's nothing illegal there, but the lights are always amber which is probably what makes it OK. I would expect to get in trouble if you put blue or red lights up there.
well i havent tryed the line of fire on my fronty yet, but it did cover the hole on my ranger. it worked out so it only covered about half of the hole though. and the light bar is actually flexable so it was still easy to get the crank in there to let down the tire. so it is something i will have to look into i guess. my light bar is actually in my parents garage right now, otherwize id go out and try it right now. if you want to know how it ends up, i should have it installed in a couple weeks for sure. send me a PM so i remember to let you know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts