Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here. So I was looking on the forums for CB radio installs and antenna ideas. Just though I would share what I currently have as of about two years ago.

if you don’t want to drill any holes in your Frontier, then this may be an option.

Below is basically a Uniden 510 on a piece of plywood. The wood was cut on an angle to fit the tray near the gear shift. It was then wrapped in felt and attached to the radio bracket.

There is no glue or screws; It stays there securely. The wires were all ran through existing ports, zip tied out of sight, and placed behind interior finishing. The mic hangs from the rear view mirror from a wire CB hook.

The antenna is a Hustler IC 100 and is magnetic. Being that it is placed on the roof, it creates a ground/base that helps the transmission and reception. Plus, no drilling and easily comes off if needed for parking garages.

At any rate, just thought I would share. Take care,

Jason.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm not really a CB guy but I can appreciate the craftsmanship...nicely done!

·
Registered
2017 Pro-4X w/Luxury Package
953 Posts
That's a great solution. The felt prevents scratches and looks good, and glad to see you have the antenna in the center of the roof for the best signal transmission 👍

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,830 Posts
Not bad.

I've been on the fence about installing a ham radio into my truck, and recently the option of GMRS as another type of radio presents itself. My truck is a fairly low trim package, so I have a little cubby hole next to the 4wd and traction control button that I could possibly slot something small into if I'm willing to give up the cubby, or another idea is to replace the factory double-din commercial radio receiver with a single-din with external screen model, putting a communications radio in the dash below it.

I'm looking at foreign-market D40 Navaras' roof-mount antennas and other options, if I can find a sharkfin rooftop antenna with AM, FM, Satellite, and even possibly GPS, then I could possibly repurpose the existing cowl-mount antenna spot or a communications antenna. It would not be quite as effective as the ground-plane from a center-of-roof, but it would look clean.

One concern of dash-mounting a ham radio is heat dissipation. I might not be able to put a mobile mount ham radio in the dash due to heat, but if I can find a mobile rig with detachable face and ability to put a remote speaker in, where the face is roughly 1DIN sized, ten the faceplate and speaker could be dash-muonted but the radio itself might be stashed behind the back seat or under one of the front seats.

GMRS adds a new wrinkle, I haven't gotten a GMRS license yet, but that type of radio seems to have become popular with offroaders, and unlike ham radio, my whole family can operate from a single license. Makes me half-tempted to come up with some kind of folding mount that could be concealed under the hood and folded-out into place when wanting to use it.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Not bad.

I've been on the fence about installing a ham radio into my truck, and recently the option of GMRS as another type of radio presents itself. My truck is a fairly low trim package, so I have a little cubby hole next to the 4wd and traction control button that I could possibly slot something small into if I'm willing to give up the cubby, or another idea is to replace the factory double-din commercial radio receiver with a single-din with external screen model, putting a communications radio in the dash below it.

I'm looking at foreign-market D40 Navaras' roof-mount antennas and other options, if I can find a sharkfin rooftop antenna with AM, FM, Satellite, and even possibly GPS, then I could possibly repurpose the existing cowl-mount antenna spot or a communications antenna. It would not be quite as effective as the ground-plane from a center-of-roof, but it would look clean.

One concern of dash-mounting a ham radio is heat dissipation. I might not be able to put a mobile mount ham radio in the dash due to heat, but if I can find a mobile rig with detachable face and ability to put a remote speaker in, where the face is roughly 1DIN sized, ten the faceplate and speaker could be dash-mounted but the radio itself might be stashed behind the back seat or under one of the front seats.

GMRS adds a new wrinkle, I haven't gotten a GMRS license yet, but that type of radio seems to have become popular with offroaders, and unlike ham radio, my whole family can operate from a single license. Makes me half-tempted to come up with some kind of folding mount that could be concealed under the hood and folded-out into place when wanting to use it.
My Yaesu FT8900r has a remote chassis with a small internal stat-controlled cooling fan, remote head unit and four-band capability with dual simultaneous tuners. Good unit to check into. I mounted the main chassis under the passenger's seat, as detailed here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Yaesu FT8900r has a remote chassis with a small internal stat-controlled cooling fan, remote head unit and four-band capability with dual simultaneous tuners. Good unit to check into. I mounted the main chassis under the passenger's seat, as detailed here.
Very Nice!

·
Registered
2009 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Decked out! Fog lights and Tonneau cover! Whoo-Hoo!
23 Posts
I just installed a Uniden PRO505XL in my 09' in the same place but with 2 Command strips attached to the top of the CB. It saves space and I can still use the bottom of the compartment. Next is the antenna. I'm not sure if I am going to run it out of the rear sliding window or out one of the doors. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
@TWX remember, most of the radio heat is on transmit, not receive. So, heat, yes, but only for the few seconds you are transmitting.

@iiijasoniii I have a mag mount for my ham I use as a back up. I do find it gets grabbed off the roof when I am on tight trails. Also, I had the same CB (just gave it to a friend) and I had it velcroed to the side of my center console. it sat there for years. saved me the space in the cubby on top.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I'm thinking about going with a Midland 75-822 that I'll keep in the center console. It's a bit cumbersome to change channels single-handed since you have to hold the radio and press the needed buttons, but I pretty much leave it on 19 or 21.

·
Registered
76 Posts
New guy here. So I was looking on the forums for CB radio installs and antenna ideas. Just though I would share what I currently have as of about two years ago.

if you don’t want to drill any holes in your Frontier, then this may be an option.

Below is basically a Uniden 510 on a piece of plywood. The wood was cut on an angle to fit the tray near the gear shift. It was then wrapped in felt and attached to the radio bracket.

View attachment 331196 View attachment 331197

There is no glue or screws; It stays there securely. The wires were all ran through existing ports, zip tied out of sight, and placed behind interior finishing. The mic hangs from the rear view mirror from a wire CB hook.

The antenna is a Hustler IC 100 and is magnetic. Being that it is placed on the roof, it creates a ground/base that helps the transmission and reception. Plus, no drilling and easily comes off if needed for parking garages.

View attachment 331198

Jason.
Nice work, that looks great! 👍

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just installed a Uniden PRO505XL in my 09' in the same place but with 2 Command strips attached to the top of the CB. It saves space and I can still use the bottom of the compartment. Next is the antenna. I'm not sure if I am going to run it out of the rear sliding window or out one of the doors. Any ideas?
In reference to the antenna, I had to cut the PL259 connector, then run it through the port on the passenger side behind the rear seat. The port is located about halfway down, between the bed and cab (2017 Frontier). After running it through, I soldered a PL259 connector to the cut cable, then attached it to the CB radio.

·
Registered
2009 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Decked out! Fog lights and Tonneau cover! Whoo-Hoo!
23 Posts
In reference to the antenna, I had to cut the PL259 connector, then run it through the port on the passenger side behind the rear seat. The port is located about halfway down, between the bed and cab (2017 Frontier). After running it through, I soldered a PL259 connector to the cut cable, then attached it to the CB radio.
I was hoping on not having to cut the cable. I'll find another way.

·
Registered
38 Posts

View attachment 331196 View attachment 331197

View attachment 331198

Jason.
Mine is a 5 speed 2001 so I put my CB behind the console armrest. Antenna cord through passenger door.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I got a Midland MXT 275 attached to the console support. Small piece of wood hoseclamped to the support and screwed the radio mount to that. Ran a Cat5 cable with coupler to the console near shifter to give the mic a little more reach. Still trying to figure out the antenna (currently magnetic on the roof with the wire entering from the rear door) and clean up the mic a bit. Leaning towards installing a Cat5 connector flush mount to the center console near the seat. Other than that... Going to hardwire it... eventually.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,830 Posts
View attachment 331363

I got a Midland MXT 275 attached to the console support. Small piece of wood hoseclamped to the support and screwed the radio mount to that. Ran a Cat5 cable with coupler to the console near shifter to give the mic a little more reach. Still trying to figure out the antenna (currently magnetic on the roof with the wire entering from the rear door) and clean up the mic a bit. Leaning towards installing a Cat5 connector flush mount to the center console near the seat. Other than that... Going to hardwire it... eventually.
Thiis looks promising:

link

Panel mount connector. Has 8P8C jacks on both sides, so you could use a short pigtail of a cable to go from the radio to the back side of the panel connector and then plug the mic in here.

Always orient these with the pins at the top. This way if junk gets inside the connector, it doesn't end up pressed against the pins to crush them when connecting a cable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts