Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I have read a bunch of threads but just need some simple help and a few questions answered.

I know I want to mount the cb inside my console so it has to be small. Then install a firestik like 3 or 4 foot antenna right behind the cab on the drivers side or passengers side. Then I want a decently loud pa that people can hear so it has to be pa compatible.

So a few questions?

1)Ive seen people mount these in the console, but how do you hear it when people are talking? Isnt the speaker built on the radio?

2)I should be able to tune the antenna with the tunable tip right without prior cb radio knowledge?

3)Does the antenna need to be on the drivers side cause it seems thats where everyone puts it when they mount it on the bed rail behind the cab. I was assuming to keep it away from the other antenna. I just thought it would look better with the antennas on the same side.

4)Whats a good durable pa speaker and what size wattage should i get? Also how is the pa speaker powered. Or whats the biggest i could get on a little cb radio.

Here is the little cobra 19 and firestik package i was looking at. This website seems good, but they only have 10 watt pa speakers which i dont think is that high. I see others running like 200 or 100. Is that possible without an amp, etc?

Cobra 19 DX IV Compact CB Radio [C19DXIV] - $44.95

Firestik FS II CB Antenna Kit - $49.95

Also, looking at keeping it fairly cheap. Just want a decent cb with a pa for some fun.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
you will able to hear fine with the cb in the cab. and the pa just plugs into the back of the cb. the antennas are picking up different frequencies so if you put them on the same side it wont be a problem. i had a full set forsale awhile back for 100 bucks shipped exact same cobra cb, pa horn and dual antennas with coax.
theres a bunch of pa horns on ebay

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
1)Ive seen people mount these in the console, but how do you hear it when people are talking? Isnt the speaker built on the radio?
Yes, the speaker is built in to the radio, but you can also plug in a external speaker (separate from PA) that will mute the internal one when its plugged in. this can be mounted anywhere.

2)I should be able to tune the antenna with the tunable tip right without prior cb radio knowledge?
You will need an "SWR meter" to help you adjust the bolt on the top of the antenna for maximum output power. Without this meter just leave it alone.

3)Does the antenna need to be on the drivers side cause it seems thats where everyone puts it when they mount it on the bed rail behind the cab. I was assuming to keep it away from the other antenna. I just thought it would look better with the antennas on the same side.
Keep in mind that mounting directly behind the cab will sacrifice some output power - as the cab will be absorbing some of it. However, that is where mine is mounted and it works just fine. When you plug up the SWR meter you will see how getting it perfect is nearly impossible with the antenna behind the cab.

4)Whats a good durable pa speaker and what size wattage should i get? Also how is the pa speaker powered. Or whats the biggest i could get on a little cb radio.
Most CBs built in PA amps are no more than 10-15watts. Find a weatherproof horn that is rated for 10-20 watts - this will maximize your volume. Pumping 10 watts into a 100w capable horn will not give you the results you are looking for.

Here is the little cobra 19 and firestik package i was looking at. This website seems good, but they only have 10 watt pa speakers which i dont think is that high. I see others running like 200 or 100. Is that possible without an amp, etc?
Again, nearly all CBs built in PA amps are only a few watts - a 10 watt rated PA speaker will be fine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thaks guys. And thanks for answering all my indivual stupid ?'s. I just want to clarify two things.

1) With the cb inside the center console with it closed do I NEED an external speaker or will i be able to hear it. Like i mean with the lid closed and the cb tucked away. I prefer not having to get an extra external speaker cause i kind of want it tucked away. And ive seen guys with it hidden in there and seen no external speaker so i guess it works.

2) Do I HAVE to get a SWR meter and tune it or will it be decent without out tuning. I was thinking of getting either the 3 or 4 foot firestik and mount it just like the attached picture above?

thanks again.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
yes you will need the meter for optimum tuning/performance. if that is not a huge concern then skip the meter

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Mini CB in console and 3' FG whip is my exact set-up.

1) With the cb inside the center console with it closed do I NEED an external speaker or will i be able to hear it. Like i mean with the lid closed and the cb tucked away. I prefer not having to get an extra external speaker cause i kind of want it tucked away. And ive seen guys with it hidden in there and seen no external speaker so i guess it works.

2) Do I HAVE to get a SWR meter and tune it or will it be decent without out tuning. I was thinking of getting either the 3 or 4 foot firestik and mount it just like the attached picture above?

thanks again.
^
With the lid closed it's pretty muffled... "10-9?.. come again?" will be in your vocab. I'm gonna run a ext. when I feel like fab'n one up tho'.

A perfectly tuned SWR isn't needed for trail runs but a quick read to make sure it's not gonna fry the Tx in the radio is best.

g/l on the install.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys. im sure i can find one of my buddies that can tune it. as for hearing it inside the console ill just have to try it out and see what its like

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
thanks guys. im sure i can find one of my buddies that can tune it. as for hearing it inside the console ill just have to try it out and see what its like
you are welcome. an external speaker can be mounted underneath the driver side dash (PLENTY of room) and the wire run through the middle and plugged in to the cb... nothing to see but you'll hear it just fine... the external speakers seem to be better anyways.. nice heavy magnet. all they are is a shallow housing that has a 4" speaker in it and an attached cord with mini plug for the cb.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys so Im gonna probably go forward with this setup but need some help with the installation.

So heres my plan. Im going with the cobra 19 and im gonna mount that in the center console and i guess plug it right into the cigarette lighter in there, then I want to run the antenna cable, pa cord, and external speaker cord up the center console where the shifter is and stuff. Then Im gonna mount the external speaker up under the drivers dash, then run the antenna cable and pa cord through the firewall. Then Ill mount the pa behind the bumper and then run the antenna under the truck and then in between the cab and bed of the truck to mount the antenna just like 05XE did above. Ill also be getting the 4' firestik antenna with a heavy duty spring and quick disconnect.

So now heres my questions. How do i get those wires (antenna wire, pa cord, external speaker cord) up through the center console and under the dash so i can go through the firewall? I assume Ill have to drill a hole inside the center console.

Also, if i mount my antenna just like 05XE did above, on my truck i still have the plastic pieces over the railing, so how would i get a good ground on the antenna? I guess mount in the back or slide it in between the plastic and the bed rail.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
well if you have the utili-track you could install you bracket on there. just drill some holes in the bracket and attach to utili-track with bolts. there are pics of that setup floating around on this site

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
To run wires under the center, the cup holder section literally pops right off.. pull straight up and it will unclip. The section around the shifter pops up also - but it is screwed in where it meets the dash (if I remember correctly). Undo those screws and you'll have full access in the middle. You will need to drill a hole near the bottom of the console box for the wires. Using the power port in there is a good idea because it's on/off with the ACC power so you can't accidentally leave it on.

How you ground depends on the mount you have. I just have a simple stud mount. I didn't want to drill in to the top of the bedrail so I cut a piece of aluminum "L" into a bracket. For you, even with bedrail caps, the "anti-unscrew" washer and nut that come with a stud mount will ground to the underside of the bedrail. Other types of mounts will differ in grounding.

FYI my antenna wire runs through the firewall on the driver's side, runs down underneath, and follows the frame to the bed, zip-tied all the way. I didn't want to fiddle with holes under the seats or trying to access the vents in the back of the cab.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To run wires under the center, the cup holder section literally pops right off.. pull straight up and it will unclip. The section around the shifter pops up also - but it is screwed in where it meets the dash (if I remember correctly). Undo those screws and you'll have full access in the middle. You will need to drill a hole near the bottom of the console box for the wires. Using the power port in there is a good idea because it's on/off with the ACC power so you can't accidentally leave it on.

How you ground depends on the mount you have. I just have a simple stud mount. I didn't want to drill in to the top of the bedrail so I cut a piece of aluminum "L" into a bracket. For you, even with bedrail caps, the "anti-unscrew" washer and nut that come with a stud mount will ground to the underside of the bedrail. Other types of mounts will differ in grounding.

FYI my antenna wire runs through the firewall on the driver's side, runs down underneath, and follows the frame to the bed, zip-tied all the way. I didn't want to fiddle with holes under the seats or trying to access the vents in the back of the cab.
thanks man that pretty much clears up my questions. your basically just saying that your antenna mount is like a clamp or something? thats only thing i didnt get

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I have my cb mounted under my drivers seat. Its tucked away, can hear the speaker no problem, and i have the mic mount located on the vertical part of the center consul to keep it out of the way as well. Once you have the channel set and the volume right, theres no need to adjust it, so you dont really need to look at it.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
not that going through the firewall is a bad idea, but the vents at the back of the cab are very easy in the CC. U are KC so i dont know how much it differs. i ran the wiring for my backup camera thru the vent

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yah i think i can see those vents in between the bed and cab but im not sure how to get to them. plus i think it might be harder to coneceal all the wires and route them out of that.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
your basically just saying that your antenna mount is like a clamp or something? thats only thing i didnt get
if you look at the pic i attached earlier in the thread, you can see how mine is mounted. Just a piece of aluminum "L" bolted to the inside of the bedrail.

but yea, i didn't want to mess with hiding a wire under the carpet or behind the trim pieces in the back. I'm not sure how the large panel comes off in the back. That's why I ran the antenna wire on the underside next to the frame.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if you look at the pic i attached earlier in the thread, you can see how mine is mounted. Just a piece of aluminum "L" bolted to the inside of the bedrail.

but yea, i didn't want to mess with hiding a wire under the carpet or behind the trim pieces in the back. I'm not sure how the large panel comes off in the back. That's why I ran the antenna wire on the underside next to the frame.
yah you definitely have a ground there i see, but you dont have the black plastic things on those rails anymore. i still have the plastic railing there and am looking to install the antenna in the same location as you did.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
... i still have the plastic railing there and am looking to install the antenna in the same location as you did.
^I've got a similar "L" mount.. the aluminum wasn't giving me a strong enough ground to get SWR >2 so an additional copper ground wire is on mine,

^under the rail theres a channel the runs through the top corner of the bed, stuff the coax through there and it'll appear underneath.

g/l.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yah you definitely have a ground there i see, but you dont have the black plastic things on those rails anymore. i still have the plastic railing there and am looking to install the antenna in the same location as you did.
i never had bed rail caps. mounting on top of your rail caps will be fine tho, because there is an insulator placed between the stud and the truck anyway on the top end where the antenna screws in...... look closely at mine you can see a white plastic ring under the stud. even bolting through plastic, the nut on the backside will be hitting metal. and yea as said above by devius you can run a jumperto ground if you're not getting a good ground wherever you are mounting.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
got my cobra 19 today. now i just got to go pick up all my other stuff for the cb. like firestik, mount, pa, external speaker. Anyways the cobra seems nice and simple and should fit in my console. Still have to figure out how I'll get power to it and route the wires from the console through the center and into the firewall.

On another note. Dang the Cobra 19 is small and i like it, but the mic part of it is huge. Didnt think it would be that big.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts