Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for those of you who have mounted a CB or Ham antenna on the bed of your Frontier: How did you route the wire from the antenna into the cabin of the truck? I built a bracket that attaches to the tie-down rack but need to run the cable into the cab. The truck is a 2017 SV CC. I haven't climbed under it yet but hope someone has already found a way. Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
11,290 Posts
I believe most went through the flap vent on the rear wall of the cab. It's there so when you close the doors there is a place for the air pressure to escape. Looks between the bed and cab, I forget which side it's on.

Clint

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Not sure where your tie rack is located. No matter but you don't want the cable exposed, obviously.
I would run the cable under the gunnel of the bed. Install a rubber grommet through the front of the bed in an out of the way area. Finish routing as Clint suggested.
My trucks antennaes are mounted on the roof but I have wires that run from the bed to the cab. In the photo, you can see the wires ( spiral wire covering)coming into the cab in the upper part of the photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe most went through the flap vent on the rear wall of the cab. It's there so when you close the doors there is a place for the air pressure to escape. Looks between the bed and cab, I forget which side it's on.

Clint
Well I crawled under the truck this morning and I think I see a panel about 8"X4" but the bed is so close to the cab there is no way I can even get my hand up there to even feel it. I popped the rubber plug out of the front of the bed and it does not line up with the panel. I tried to pull the interior panel behind the rear seat but it is firmly affixed, so I can not access it that way either.

Any other pointers to where or how I can get to it?

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
The 4"x 8" panel you see is the the flap vent Clint mentioned. Here is a better photo of the location, left side.. You can access it from the inside of the cab I believe. Try running a wire through it, cab side. It probably won't line up to the plug in the bed like you said. You can drill a hole and run a rubber grommet. I use them all over on my truck.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
I pulled the driver's rear seat out when I ran mine. You then have better access to the panel that goes against the wall. I did have to pull and bend that panel a bit to get it off though. I ran the cable from the cab and then out not from the antenna and in to the cab. There is a gap between the front of my tonneau cover and the top of the front of the bed, so I ran it over the top and not through that hole in the bed.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
There is one on the other side also.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After looking at the photos posted by Whistler I can tell that the Crew Cab is VERY different from the King Cab. The CC appears to have just one vent (if that is what it is) and it is horizontal rather than vertical as the KC is. It is also farther inboard and higher than the KC's.

I may re-think where the antenna is mounted, and move it to the edge of the hood and then run the cable through the firewall.

I appreciate all the help.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I did not know that.
I know there are many reason not to but roof mounts work well. I have had no problems. Well, I take that back. I have to remove my antennae to clear some electrical wires when I bring either trucks to the back of my home.Probably not ideal for a daily driver.
This was on the Dodge and makes for a very clean way of mounting and routing the wires.
Definitely spending too much time on here.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Clint KY
I have the same 17 truck you do. I know on the drivers side back wall there is a quarter-size plug in the bottom corner near the floor. The hard plastic cover does just pop off (takes a little force). The felt is held on by a black plastic push holder. Once you get that off, peel it back and look down to the right and it is there. You will have to push it off from underneath. I took a small drill bit and made a hole and ran wires through it. Popped out back on and was good to go. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
A question for those of you who have mounted a CB or Ham antenna on the bed of your Frontier: How did you route the wire from the antenna into the cabin of the truck? I built a bracket that attaches to the tie-down rack but need to run the cable into the cab. The truck is a 2017 SV CC. I haven't climbed under it yet but hope someone has already found a way. Thanks...
there is a plug in the lower left (right as you're looking at it) corner of the cab, below teh flap vents. IIRC its a 3/4" hole. You can either punch a hole in the stock plug or use a regular grommet depending on your cable size... I did way too much of a maint loop installing my cables... (pic#3)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Well I crawled under the truck this morning and I think I see a panel about 8"X4" but the bed is so close to the cab there is no way I can even get my hand up there to even feel it. I popped the rubber plug out of the front of the bed and it does not line up with the panel. I tried to pull the interior panel behind the rear seat but it is firmly affixed, so I can not access it that way either.

Any other pointers to where or how I can get to it?
when I ran my wiring (CB & stereo install with aftermarket rear cam) I ended up pulling out the seats, rear interior body plastics, carpet, ... (I went a little nuts) but it made working a bit easier. I have KC. There were a few screws/bolts but most of it is held on with clips. You just have to go slowly and feel as you go. Some plastic tram panel remover tools will help...

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
After looking at the photos posted by Whistler I can tell that the Crew Cab is VERY different from the King Cab. The CC appears to have just one vent (if that is what it is) and it is horizontal rather than vertical as the KC is. It is also farther inboard and higher than the KC's.

I may re-think where the antenna is mounted, and move it to the edge of the hood and then run the cable through the firewall.

I appreciate all the help.
I' you're going to go hood-mount, easiest to access grommet is on the drivers side to the left (right as you look at it) of the MC... factory wiring harnes grommet on the right (last img is entrance in the cab with the carpet pulled back)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
If you're still thinking of bed mount:
On my CC here is a rubber plug on the rear passenger side floor under the carpet directly below where your left foot will normally be; I ran my wires for the tailgate lock, bed LEDs, and rear 2nd camera through it. I found this easier to work with (no need to remove the rear seats and rear panel) and easier to get access to if needed (pull the carpet back and there it is).

Underneath, the wires will come out from the floor to the inner side of the frame rail so they'll be protected; you just have to zip tie the wires (in a loom, preferably) along the top of the rail.

Then if you're mounting your antenna in the bed, run the cable through one of the drain plugs in the lower forward corners in side the bed itself.

I prefer this over running the cable through the pressure vent, because if you run a cable through the pressure vent, the cable will always keep the vent open; it's supposed to stay closed to seal the cabin, only opening up to release pressure when needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts