Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my CB for this truck, but have always been accustomed to standard antenna mount L brackets. Question is, what options are available while keeping my tonneau cover installed? its a zipper/velcro type, not sure on the brand, came with the truck when I bought it, but it's nicer than most soft tonneaus i've seen. I've toyed with the idea of just rolling that corner back, but would rather have the bed stay dry (since I throw backpacks and stuff in there) and not cutting a whole in the cover, it'll spread like wildfire.

I've searched and seen a really small pic of one guy on here running an antenna mounted between hood/fender, another near the tailgate (which I kind of dig, but don't want to scratch/drill through the paint on the exterior, and I saw one guy replace his AM/FM antenna...(not willing to give up my AM/FM reception.)

Any help, ideas, or suggestions are appreciated! Post links/pics if you can!

Thanks! Sorry for the noobness, but I've been trying to search the internet and really don't know what's out there!

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
i had mine on a quick disconnect (before it snapped off - still need to replace that) so that i could remove it when i needed the bed dry. worked very well cz any time i was using the cb, i didnt need the cover closed.

if you do need a dry bed and the antenna at the same time, heres an option i toyed around with: punch a hole in the cover no bigger than the antenna, making sure to use a metal grommet (like on a tarp) to close it up so it doesnt spread... then use a quick disconnect so you can still roll up the cover if need be....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff, did you make that bracket or buy it somewhere? Would it be possible to get a pic of the inside with tailgate down? I'm intrigued.

As for the grommet, that's a good idea, but the tonneau is stretched so far as it is, I can really see it just tearing from that new weak point. I'd probably run a magnetic mount before I did that, but I like where your head's at!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I went to lowes and got a few L brackets 2 just incase I screwed 1 up.Then drilled the holes on the bracket to the same size as the antenna bracket and used stainless nuts and bolts but they are rusting now.I attached it to the truck with self tapping screws.The wire runs under along the frame rail and comes into the grommet on the driver side firewall.It picks really good on the trails and at times 10-15 miles on the highway.I think I may order a larger antenna or just add another 1 on the other side to make it look even.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Im goin with the hood mt. w/ quick disconnect. Will put it on the drivers side and use a 3' firestik firefly antenn have radio on one side and the cb on the other.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'd recomend going with a mag mount on the roof. That way you will get the best reception and it won't mess up your cover

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
OP, look into a "door jamb mount" if ya wanna go pre-fab.
_ it's Stainless too!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm really thinking about that mount right now.... thanks for posting that! Still open to other options if anyone has any, really appreciate all the help guys. :)

·
Registered
615 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
this mount shown could be mounted on the right side of the tailgate
^ I think you can loosen a nut or something to spin it around; mount on either side.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I recommend a magnet mount roof antenna. You can twist it off if you need to. Just make sure you place it in the center of the roof for best rx/tx(roof acts as ground plane).

like this, maybe just a little more forward. i dont think its the model i had in mind, but you get the idea.
Nissan Frontier / Navara Forum
Nissan Frontier / Navara Forum
Ideally i'd do a magnetic mount, but I do storm spotting locally and often find myself in heavy winds, and that seems to prove an issue for the magnetic mounts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry no picks but I see you have a roof rack, I have the truckers CB mirror mounts you can get at radio shack on the back cross bar on my roof rack i just purchased 4 longer bolts from napa auto parts and it is super stable i run both a 4 foot and when the mood suits me a 8 ft whip, great for when I go to the desert i put a flag on it and it serves two purposes! The mirror mounts are also good to put lights on the front cross bar! hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ideally i'd do a magnetic mount, but I do storm spotting locally and often find myself in heavy winds, and that seems to prove an issue for the magnetic mounts.
I see you've never had one before. The magnets on the Wilson brand i know for sure will NOT budge a mm in very strong winds. They are very strong. The only real advantage a glass stick has over steel whip is they dont bend as far in the wind/while driving. You could always drill a hole in your roof and do away with the magnet.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I see you've never had one before. The magnets on the Wilson brand i know for sure will NOT budge a mm in very strong winds. They are very strong. The only real advantage a glass stick has over steel whip is they dont bend as far in the wind/while driving. You could always drill a hole in your roof and do away with the magnet.
I had a wilson on my last truck and it flew off going about 75 on the highway

·
Registered
615 Posts
Then you must have had a faulty one, cause the magnets on those things are strong as heck. Or maybe you had a lil wil?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've used two magnet mounts before on other vehicles, if they weren't tethered, they'ed move in high winds. Can't deal with that all the time. Appreciate the info though!

4xer, if you could snap a pic that would be awesome! Thanks for the info! How'd you run your cable?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts