Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a frustrating hour this morning trying to install and antenna mount,. I got one that should attach to the side of the engine compartment and then allow the hood to close. Problem is the hood hits the mount.

What are you guys doing to mount an antenna? I really don't want to go down the route of having the cable come in at the top of the door and loop outside.

Thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
Spent a frustrating hour this morning trying to install and antenna mount,. I got one that should attach to the side of the engine compartment and then allow the hood to close. Problem is the hood hits the mount.

What are you guys doing to mount an antenna? I really don't want to go down the route of having the cable come in at the top of the door and loop outside.

Thanks
Gonna drill a hole this weekend. Or at least try to build (drink) the courage to do it...

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
This is where I wanted to go but once I tweaked/tuned my antenna at the center of my roof and noticed the gain in both TX and RX I'll never go back. I'm just sick of antenna cable thru my rear window. Plus your install is actually more laborious than a hole and some fish tape!
Well I didn't want an antenna through my rear window ::laugh::

J/K yeah, it took awhile to do... but the fact that I overheard a salesman at the local Nissan dealer explain to a customer that my antenna was "part of the premium sound package" when they saw my truck parked up front made it so worth the effort hahah

Suh -weet! Where did you buy the mount?
Try the link

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Gonna drill a hole this weekend. Or at least try to build (drink) the courage to do it...
Yeh, that's the way I went with my 2m/70cm ham antenna -

The roof location definitely gives you the best radiation pattern, but it can be a PITA with tall antennas (i.e., whacking overhead obstacles with it) - and it also complicates the job of installing and loading a roof rack...

ETA: Installing a roof mount gets a LOT more complicated if you have a power sunroof -

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yeh, that's the way I went with my 2m/70cm ham antenna -

The roof location definitely gives you the best radiation pattern, but it can be a PITA with tall antennas (i.e., whacking overhead obstacles with it) - and it also complicates the job of installing and loading a roof rack...

ETA: Installing a roof mount gets a LOT more complicated if you have a power sunroof -
No roof rack needed, and one of the nice features of the NMO mount was the fact that you can unscrew and stash the whip and just throw a rain cap on it.

Right now I have to route cables thru back window, rearrange gear in the truck, etc, if I want to put up/take down my antenna...sux

1 - 9 of 9 Posts