Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've already shared my headaches with the "accident-free" 2016 Nissan Frontier from Carvana. Carvana accepted the return per their policies. But despite reporting the damage that their authorized body shop identified, they relisted the truck as "accident-free". I reported this to Carvana multiple times. With each report, there came an acknowledgment to "look into it". I reported it to the Alabama Attorney General's office. And crickets. I finally tried to report it to CarFax but there is no avenue to report vehicle damage unless you already took their CarFax reports at face value. Otherwise, you own the vehicle, and good luck reselling it.

I don't know what else to do but hope that the next owner checks out the Club Frontier forums. If you bought this truck from Carvana as reported "accident-free", please get it inspected immediately.

• VIN: 1N6AD0ERXGN731786

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive tire Tread Tire Bumper

·
Super Moderator
12,391 Posts
Thanks for trying to take care of this situation. Maybe they will make it right but they aren’t at liberty to state it.

Clint

·
Premium Member
2020 PRO-4X, Icom IC-229H ham radio, 4K front and rear dashcam, Leer canopy
430 Posts
Wow. Caveat emptor indeed! Consumer fraud is usually something the state AG's love to sink their teeth into especially if there is an election coming up. This one looks to be better than low hanging fruit. Does Alabama have a consumer affairs watchdog hiding in the capitol?

I have a trust limit on what I'll buy on-line and/or sight unseen. Cars are well beyond that limit. Glad you came out on the good side.

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
920 Posts
I'm sorry, THAT is a terrible welding repair job. If someone did their job properly It wouldn't be an issue(good welds on 1/4in material (around 10in in length) can safely keep a load of 6 tons (with failure around 15 tons), but that, I would not trust that to last one bit.

That area will easily rust out and fail before anything else around it (likely without warning). I already notice multiple cracks in it (including likely metal fatigue) and depending on the exact location of the damage on this vehicle that may deem it a complete loss. This should not be put back on the roads without proper inspection and repairs.

I'd almost think about contacting your states department of revenue, not only do they regulate dealerships, they regulate titles (through the DMV). It's no minor thing to file false paperwork on the title of a vehicle. If they now currently KNOW that the vehicle is damaged and they then proceed to sell it as not, then that is fraud.

Reactions: Mad_Jasper

·
Super Moderator
12,391 Posts
Can’t the shop who discovered the hidden damage report it to carfax?

Clint

Reactions: Mad_Jasper

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the words of support. I did receive a rather thick letter from the Alabama State Attorney General's Office stating that 1) It was the buyer's responsibility to inspect the vehicle and 2) The buyer should order a Carfax. :rolleyes:

It was obvious at that point that the AG's office either didn't read my complaint or is not concerned with consumer fraud originating from the State of Alabama.

I am going out of town for a few days. When I return, I will make a determination on how to proceed. Possibly an investigated reporter would want to pursue this. I am not letting this go.

BTW. I updated the original post to include the VIN as DentKO suggested.

Forgot to mention. I also filed a complaint with the Florida AG's office. Perhaps the reviewers have greater reading comprehension skills.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Any other evidence it was in a collision? I'm not sure exactly what weld we are looking at here, but could it have been damaged without being in a collision? Maybe it fell off a lift, improperly towed, or had an offroad incident. Or a defective weld just let go. Then again, maybe the drunk hit a tree, or hit and run, and just paid for repairs without reporting it.
Choose your words carefully, you don't want to get sued by carvana.

Most service/repair work is reported through the facility's garage software. If a shop doesn't subscribe, or uses paper repair orders, nothing is sent to carfax.

Likely no police report either in this case.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Any other evidence it was in a collision? I'm not sure exactly what weld we are looking at here, but could it have been damaged without being in a collision? Maybe it fell off a lift, improperly towed, or had an offroad incident. Or a defective weld just let go. Then again, maybe the drunk hit a tree, or hit and run, and just paid for repairs without reporting it.
Choose your words carefully, you don't want to get sued by carvana.

Most service/repair work is reported through the facility's garage software. If a shop doesn't subscribe, or uses paper repair orders, nothing is sent to carfax.

Likely no police report either in this case.

The body shop that Carvana authorized to align the front bumper discovered a welding rod stuck to the frame of the truck where the welding took place. I think the part that is welded is called a frame horn. It connects the bumper to the frame. It is a replaceable part but it does not appear that the part was replaced, but bent back in shape and partially welded to repair cracks or tears. He also pointed out the replacement hood, core support, radiator, and bumper. He felt the fenders had been replaced but wasn't sure based on the brief time he was inspecting the bumper. The hood was actually unfinished on the bottom with grey overspray on the rubber seal. I also noticed that the LCA bolts had been replaced with aftermarket alignment bolts which I thought was odd because there were no lift/spacers on the truck. I'd wager that this truck took a significant hit.

I am ok with being sued by Carvana. I think it would uncover shady business dealings during discovery. I wish that I could find the buyer that is currently purchasing the vehicle so I could advise him to have it thoroughly inspected.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If you post the VIN in this thread then hopefully anyone doing their homework will discover this info a little easier. I haven't purchased a vehicle online but a google search of the VIN would definitely be necessary.
This above is great advice, I have researched vehicles on Autotrader that when I have googled VINs, it shows them at copart/salvage/auction yards with all the damage, a couple of times this was not even disclosed as a "branded title" within the ad posted by the dealer selling through Autotrader. So posting the VIN here on original post with pictures showing defect/damage would hopefully help someone in the future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts