Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I was doing the right thing by replacing all 4 cats on my '05 frontier. Ive had P codes for over a year and the truck has lost a lot of power and performance and the gas mileage has went to crap. I ordered all walker products. 16467 and 16468 for the primaries and 16400 and 16399 for the secondaries. I got the primary cat bolts off without too much trouble. I had to cut the pipe between the primary and secondary cats in order to get them out.

When I went to install I put the left primary in first. Tightened the bolts up and torqued. Then when I went to attach the secondary cat there was just no way they are going to fit properly. The mating surfaces are way off. So far that it made me question if I grabbed the wrong secondary cat. So at this point my back is shot and I'm cursing up a storm. Did not have enough time to install the passenger side to see if they will fit. And unfortunately since I cut the old pipes I can't reuse them. So I'm stuck for now.

I don't have the proper tools to bend an exhaust pipe. At least I don't think I do.

Has anyone else come across this issue with Walker cats? I purchased from Rockauto.com. their policy says return to the manufacturer. Is walker good about returns?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Post up some pictures of the fitment if possible.

Also, I thought rock auto was good with
returns.

From experience years ago, I tried to install a header on my 01 2.7L Tacoma. Turns out they moved the cat up into the down pipe for California emissions. There was no possible fitment without swapping cats from an 00' or earlier 2.7.
I guess the manufacturer didn't get the memo from Toyota.

Edited-long drawn out story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts
So in the pic the secondary isn't even bolted in at the other end?
Ouch!
It's like the bend is 180* off.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just a thought...
Is it possible they sent you 2 right side secondary's?
One packaged incorrectly.

never mind you would have noticed the O2 sensor bung hitting the frame.
just a manufacturer defect like you said.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a thought...
Is it possible they sent you 2 right side secondary's?
One packaged incorrectly.

never mind you would have noticed the O2 sensor bung hitting the frame.
just a manufacturer defect like you said.

Actually you may be on to something. I just held the 16400 part up next to the 16399 part and they do look nearly identical. 16399 is in place so it was hard to judge. But I think they could be the same. The boxes are clearly labeled separately. There is an embossed number on the converter and this numbers are different. But I'm not sure of that's the serial number or a model non typical model number.

As for the O2 sensors, the bung is not hitting the frame but it does appear to be in a weird location facing the underside of the truck. So again I really think they sent me two right side secondary cats.

Unforatunetly by truck is up on jacks in the driveway until I get a replacement. Looks like ill be riding the motorcycle to work for a few days at least.

On a side note. This project was not as hard as I expected (barring the fitment issue). I was able to reach every single bolt or nut with a standard 1/2" ratchet and a 14 mm box wrench. It is a time consuming project but doable by everyone. Not nearly as touch as replacing the shocks in my opinion.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If the bung is welded in a different spot then the part most likely got mixed in with the wrong parts prior to the step where they weld them on.

Glad you have other means of transportation

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I setup a return with Rock Auto but they unfortunately will not send a replacement until they receive the old one back. That could end up taking all week. So I started calling some local shops in the neighborhood and it turns out Advanace Auto can have the 16400 part to me by noon today. Cost is virtually the same after 20% COUPON code. So I'll send the bad part back to Rockauto for a refund and buy the replacement here locally. Crossing my fingers for a perfect fit. I'll try to report back this evening after I get a chance to install it.

·
Super Moderator
10,406 Posts
Or...... pay for the replacement and they send it out knowing the other one would be returned.

Clint

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or...... pay for the replacement and they send it out knowing the other one would be returned.

Clint
I could've but I probably wouldn't receive it until at least Wednesday. By purchasing it today locally I can take it back if it doesn't fit again. And considering there is potential rain in the forecast tomorrow it might not be a good time to ride the bike to work. haha

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the replacement part yesterday and could immediately tell it was different from the converter that Rockauto sent me. I installed it in a couple of minutes but could tell it was not a perfect fit. Converter had a very small flange that made centering the mating ends difficult. I went through 3 crush rings trying to get a good fit. Each time ending with a small leak. I even resorted to pulling the primary back off and trying to mate them outside the vehicle and then installing. FAIL! They can not be installed while mating together. The mating flange from the primary actually got bent when I tightened down the bolts and I had to bend it back once I took the primary back off. I finally got it installed and couldn't feel any leaks but I admit I don't really trust it at this point. I drove to work this morning and the truck sounds better and has more power with what seems like better throttle response. I reset the MPG indicator and averaged 17.5mpg over my 13 mile drive to work. Better than the 14mph I was getting before. I tried to drive normal as I always do but I'll be able to gauge it better after a couple of tanks.

Are there any miracle washers or gaskets to use if by chance this starts leaking? I've not had to mess with an exhaust for over 12 years since I before I bought the truck. Hoping maybe there is a leak kit or liquid gasket that might work if need be.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have used the Permatex muffler sealant. The shop that swapped the clutch on my Frontier must have bent the driver cat converter/headpipe flange. I couldn't see or feel a leak, but it would eat through the gasket over a couple months. I installed the third gasket with this. It has not been an issue since. It's been like this for a couple years.

·
Super Moderator
10,406 Posts
I'd make them replace it again and make them aware of what's wrong, pictures would help them as they sure would like to know.

Clint

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's been a week and a half and the exhaust is doing fine. No leaks. My problem now is that I'm hearing something loose on the front end. My first thought was that the heat shields may not have been tightened down enough. But after checking them they are solid. Just seems like a weird coincidence that it started 2 days after finishing my exhaust. I can't seem to place the noise. It's a heavier deeper pitched thunking sound and happens when I hit rougher road. I've jacked up the front end and shook the wheels left to right and up and down directions and there is no play at all. I'm no expect on what it could be. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
501 Posts
When troubleshooting I always go back to what was changed or worked on last. I keep thinking about the misalignment of the flanges. Is it possible that somewhere up or down the line the hangers aren't truly supporting a portion of the exhaust? Then once you hit a bump it bounces?
Maybe it's now closer to body/frame or another component, but only hits when bumped?

Stick with what changed.

I believe that's where your problem is.

Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts