Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessary to have the heat shield? Mine is rusted and is rattling all the time and it sounds horrible so I want to take it off. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
249 Posts
its there for a reason, but you could take it off if you really wanted to. it probably won't cause any problems, but im not 100% sure. sorry for the lack of a profound answer.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate to take it off cause its a heat shield. I may call a shop and see if they have any or what they could do.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well there is some kind of clamp holding it on but part of the shield as started rusting and vibrates or something really loud around 2k to 3k rpms.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
on the 2003 there is another heat shield attached to the bootom of cab just above the cats. I removed mine and no problems.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
If you really dont want to take it off wrap some metal wire around it and twist it tight. thats the easiest and quickest thing you can do. i just ripped mine out when it started rattling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Took mine off right away also. No problem, just dont park over tall, dry grass on a hot day with the engine running!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I just wrapped mine in 12ga copper wire. I thought it was the passenger side but it was the drivers side. Both of them are falling apart i just assume they are there for a reason.

·
Registered
180 Posts
None of mine are on my truck any more. One started rattling and ripped it off. 2 days later another one started. Ripped off any that I could find that I could move with my hands.

Quiet ever since.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Wrapping them with wire does not work. One half off the drivers side fell off but I can not get the other side off.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mine just started rattling, crawled under there today and noticed it was a heat shield so I just got back in so I could make it to work on time. I plan to get under there in the morning and rip that thing off.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Did anyone actually replace their shield and is it easy to replace (ie: bolt-on) without removing the cat/exhaust?
I have a feeling they are not replaceable. The original ones probably don't even "bolt on" but instead are a permanent part of the cat. Just curious, why do you even want a heat shield on it? If you want to prolong the life of the current one just get a clothes hanger or some sort of similar wire and wrap it around it tight to stop it from rattling.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was afraid it may not be (easily) replaceable, it looks like you can get the shields according to the following schematic and if the part numbers are right the sheilds are only be about $14 from that dealer ( Nissan Parts | OEM Nissan Parts | Genuine OEM Parts ). I wanted to keep them to prevent fires when I'm off-roading from brush/grass:

I e-mailed that dealer a photo of my shields to get the exact part numbers and ask if they are replaceable. Here is the photo that I took (shield circled in red):

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not from the response I just received from that dealer. They had a tech crawl under one of the 1st gens they had on the lot and unfortunately, they believe that it is fixed to the cat section of the exhaust and the pricing is rather phenomenal.

Right side = $800.77
Left side = $382.86

So, I may try cleaning mine up and re-attaching that seam somehow.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ok, lets break this down.

Facts:
- The diagram you posted highlights the primary cats
- The picture you posted is a secondary cat
- The primary cats have removable heat shields (assuming our good friend Mr. Rust hasn't seized the bolts)
- The secondary cats are a single unit from flange to flange (stamped, welded, etc.etc.)
- Replacing the shields on the primary cats might require you to dismantle a fair amount of your forward exhaust system, there's not a lot of space to wiggle stuff in and out up there.

Questions:
- Which heat shield do you want to replace?
- What kind of hallucinogen is that dealership taking, because those prices are friggin ridiculous :laugh:
- Why not ditch the secondary cats and put some walker pipes on there?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts