Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, this clunkers thing is driving me nuts. One dealer tells me the V6 Frontier qualifies, one tells me it does not. Category 1 trucks require a minimum of 18mpg combined which the frontier does not have. but it looks like the gov is using wheelbase NOT weight so the Frontier is actually a Category 2 truck under their rules which only needs 15mpg.

From the Cars.gov website....

CARS Glossary

Category 2 Truck

Large pickup trucks and vans with a GVWR less than or equal to 8,500 lbs. Large pickup trucks are defined as having a wheelbase greater than 115 inches, and large vans are defined as having a wheelbase greater than 124 inches.

Note that the wheelbase used to determine truck category by the CARS program is the shortest wheelbase for a given nameplate (e.g., Ford F-150) and may not correspond to your vehicle's actual wheelbase, especially in the case of trucks with extended cabs.

going through the legislation found this as well......

8 As noted in footnote 2, the statutory definition of the term “category 2 truck” is based on the
categorization method used by the Environmental Protection Agency and described in the report entitled
“Light-Duty Automotive Technology and Fuel Economy Trends: 1975 through 2008.” (A copy of this
report has been placed in the docket for this rule.) Based on that method of categorization, large vans and
pickup trucks, which would otherwise fall within category 1, instead fall within category 2. The method is
based primarily on published wheelbase data according to the following criteria: A small pickup is less
than 105", a midsize pickup is 105" to 115", a large pickup is more than 115"; A small van is less than
109", a midsize van is 109" to 124", a large van is more than 124"; A small SUV is less than 100", a
midsize SUV is 100" to 110", a large SUV is more than 110". This classification scheme is similar to that
used in many trade and consumer publications.
For those vehicle nameplates with a variety of wheelbases, the size classification was determined by
considering only the smallest wheelbase produced. The classification of a vehicle for this report is based
on the author’s engineering judgment and is not a replacement for definitions used in implementing
automotive standards legislation. [Emphasis added.]

SO THE V6 WORKS??????????????????????????????

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
What year is your Frontier that its worth less than $4500? The trade in has to be scrapped so it doesn't go back on the road. forgive me if I'm wrong but are you thinking you're getting money on top of a trade in to upgrade to a new truck? I was told the program doesn't allow that.
Please clarify what you are doing.

Clint

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that.... I have a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9 liter. Gets 12 mpg...... I am trading it in on a Frontier. Spoke to the deal and he says i am good to go. Anyone else explore this?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
If they are looking for 18 flat, then doesnt' the average of 17.5 round-up to make it 18 and thus fit the 4500 catetory?

Also, you mentioned the wheel-base questions. Does that mean they base it off of the shortest or what?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they are looking for 18 flat, then doesnt' the average of 17.5 round-up to make it 18 and thus fit the 4500 catetory?

Also, you mentioned the wheel-base questions. Does that mean they base it off of the shortest or what?
The Frontier falls into cat 2 as does my ram so the trader-in needs to get a combined 15 mpg better. for 1mpg i get $3500 for 3mpg(like the frontier) i get $4500. I am buying an SE value pack with the tow package for $20,300 (msrp is about 26600+/- a few bucks). take into account my $4500 credit and i am paying about $16k. my truck i worth about $1400 so this is a great deal for me.... thank you obama.

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
The Frontier falls into cat 2 as does my ram so the trader-in needs to get a combined 15 mpg better. for 1mpg i get $3500 for 3mpg(like the frontier) i get $4500. I am buying an SE value pack with the tow package for $20,300 (msrp is about 26600+/- a few bucks). take into account my $4500 credit and i am paying about $16k. my truck i worth about $1400 so this is a great deal for me.... thank you obama.
Good luck with it. You won't be disappointed in the Frontier, I'm on my third.
It's not thank you NObama. It's thank you to all the taxpayers out there.
He just likes to spend other peoples money.

Clint

·
Registered
178 Posts
if they say it can be made due it.. at my dealership we been doing it at our own risk... if the trade-in does not qualify (or the program runs out of funds like some are saying it will sooner than expected) we are going to take the hit, customers are not liable... good luck

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Neither will the clunkers,i dont know if it applies to all but we have been told that we got to add this chemical,kinda like liquid glass to the motors.Then run them till they get hot So over night they will seize up then go to the scrape yard i guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah... I read somewhere that it was a "silica" type additive that will eat the engine up..
This is similar in some respects to the new healthcare plan, they will give us some Jim Jones Cool Aid when we get to the age of 65 too if it goes thru...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
traded my clunker today. $15,800 for a $26,500 frontier! my beater truck was toast.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah,,,, my GMC had 135,000 miles on it, 2nd windshield wiper motor on it still did not work right. The paint looked like it had chicken pox. The main seal was leaking and the power assist just went out plus numerous other issues. I'd say the most irritating issue was the blue paint job it had on it. The paint was just popping off in spots all over the hood and top of the cab. The transmission always had a jerk to it that never felt right
and the distributor had to be replace due to the rusted over inside the cap, never figured that one out. I'm not saying the GMC did not give good service it did up until
2 years ago and it just started falling apart. I drove it minimal due to the MPG's. I"ve got a Honda Valkyrie bike with 124,000 miles on it and it's an 02' so you can see the bike was more of a mainstay than the truck was. LOL....

Sounds like you got a good buy on your truck too. Congrats on the truck and I as you do hope they will give good service for years to come.

Mike..

Cash for Clunkers being suspended.... That's what they are saying on the news due to the backlog of cars dealers are selling...?????

·
Registered
122 Posts
I talked to a sales manager here in NoVA and he told me that they're running out of money, but it's being discussed by Congress to add more finds...

·
Registered
16 Posts
How did you get $6,300 off the MSRP?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
85 Posts
I turned in a 1990 Chevy Silverado V-8 5.3L that got 15 mpg on the Fuel economy website for a 2009 Black V6 CC LB Frontier that gets 17 mpg. Got $4500 for the truck and $3000 factory rebate, MSRP was like $26000 financed $18500 with my credit union. They are both category 2 trucks, if the new category 2 truck gets 1 mpg better then you get $3500 if it gets 2 mpg or more you get $4500. Thats how I got my new girl!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts