Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my truck has 14k miles on it and it was making a howling noise between 20 and 40 mph. Sounded like gear howl. The Nissan dealer replaced the carrier bearing on the driveshaft yesterday (apparently there is a bulletin on this). The howl is gone. Now however when I hit 70 mph, there is a vibration and you can hear it as well as feel it. It's not major, but it definitely was not there before. Any ideas before I take it back to the rocket scientists in the service dept.?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I had a strong vibration at 65mpg +. I washed my truck really well, and noticed a lot of crap built up inside the wheels from the weather. That solved it. If that is obviously not your issue, I'd just take it back to the rocket scientists.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Sorry, can't help.. Just do the "didn't do that chit before!" thing with them.

.. The Nissan dealer replaced the carrier bearing on the driveshaft yesterday (apparently there is a bulletin on this)..
^what bulletin?
Don't think they'll do mine since I Sawzall'd my CB bracket :(

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, can't help.. Just do the "didn't do that chit before!" thing with them.

^what bulletin?
Don't think they'll do mine since I Sawzall'd my CB bracket :(
The tech had handwritten a note on the service order with a bulletin number. I'm waiting for my paperwork so I can see what he wrote down, but I'd say Nissan knows they have a problem with these.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Sounds like they need to rebalance the driveshaft. Why the carrier bearing would cause it to need rebalancing I don't know but it sounds like it.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It goes back to the stealership on Thursday. The noise is the worst between 70-80mph. It's a deep "whirring" noise" like the noise you get when you have the back window in the car open on the freeway. If you shift the truck in neutral the noise does not change as long as you stay between 70-80 so it's not engine related. You can feel a slight vibration in the center console and in the floorboard at that speed, but nothing in the steering wheel.
I'm thinking the carrier bearing was bad long enough that it damaged something else, or they didn't reassemble something right.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Mine does the same thing at over 80mpg though! Ordering my "back ordered" piece tomorrow. If you don't mind, how much did they charge for parts and labor? I'm still debating to get it done at the stealer or not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just changed my carrier bearing and the front and rear ujoints and have the same problem. I didn't replace the center ujoint because it was still good. I have a vibration between 28 and 35 as well as around 70. When it gets back from the body shop I might have to take it to the stealership as well......

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed!

Well the dealership had it for the better part of the day and they did solve the problem. It seems when the put the carrier bearing in, they did not mark the driveshaft, so it was 180 degrees from where it had initially been and that was causing the vibration. :censor: All fixed....for now.

:machinegunner: Bad Service

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a computer generated copy of my work order, so the note with the bulletin number was not on it. I would say Nissan knows of the problem though because they diagnosed it pretty fast once I got a tech to go for a ride and there was no issue getting it replaced...well other than putting the driveshaft in wrong.

·
Registered
185 Posts
:/ can someone take a picture and point out where the carrier bearing is on the truck then?

sorry i'm completely ignorant when it comes to this truck :(
i just downloaded the service manual, but pictures would help :)
thanks guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, this is my first post, other than my intro post. Hope this helps someone.

I bought a 2010 SE CC 4X4 a month ago. Three weeks after I brought it home I got a call from the dealer saying there was a RECALL on the driveshaft. I had been reading this forum and others a bit before I bought the truck and I had not been able to find any info about such a thing. So, I'm thinking, hmm, that's a bit odd.

Yesterday she went back for her 30 day check up and they replaced the front propeller shaft.
My paperwork reads:

SOP-PC036 RECALL DRIVESHAFT
CAUSE:
PC0361 FRONT PROPELLER SHAFT INSPECTION - NG, AND
REPLACE FRONT PROELLER SHAFT
WCM
1 37200-ZP90A SHAFT ASSY
8 97171-7S00A NUT-FIX PR
8 37120-4P00A BOLT-FIX P
CLAIM TYPE: CM

894 PERFORMED PC-036 RECALL DRIVE SHAFT FRT

I wasn't there with the truck while this was being done, but the person who was asked the service writer about the recall. She reiterated that it was a NISSAN recall and we could probably find it on their website. I've been looking everywhere since they first called me about it last week and I can't find anything.:confused:

I know the part numbers won't help La Queen with her 2WD QC (love that!), but maybe you all can get some help on the $ with this info!:ugogirl:

Good luck!
Rhonda

1 - 17 of 17 Posts