Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i know there has been talk about people building carputers. Has anyone done one for our truck? Im confused on what exactly they can do? Im considering a touchscreen jensen or pioneer but want to know what a carputer is before i do it. helpp thanks

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
they can get costly. i thought about it, then settled on a Z2 since that would really be all i need

·
Registered
5,939 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I am using my carputer now as it happens. I bought an EEE PC 901 Netbook and it doubles as my Carputer and travel laptop.

I have already bought everything to have the netbook in the truck.I have the kit to make it a touch screen unit and usb TV/Radio receiver and Bluetooth GPS module. The rest is just software so you can virtually run whatever you want. you dont need to run anything specific and I am just using XP and the software for my various features.Unix will work just as well if not better in some areas.
I lie the idea I can take it out of the truck and take it with me so it kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am using my carputer now as it happens. I bought an EEE PC 901 Netbook and it doubles as my Carputer and travel laptop.

I have already bought everything to have the netbook in the truck.I have the kit to make it a touch screen unit and usb TV/Radio receiver and Bluetooth GPS module. The rest is just software so you can virtually run whatever you want. you dont need to run anything specific and I am just using XP and the software for my various features.Unix will work just as well if not better in some areas.
I lie the idea I can take it out of the truck and take it with me so it kills 2 birds with 1 stone.
Is the netbook really able to handle more than two things at the same time? I was going to do the same, but I didn't think the low-powered system would handle what I wanted it to.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I will try to post some pics next week. My mum is in the Hospital and I fly out back to Aus on thrusday so things a bit hectic here lol.
The Netbook does a decent job in fact and I have cut down XP with Nlite and have 2gig of ram on board. I did tweak it a little software wise and so far it does a decent job of things. Just be aware it actually will be better at some tasks than others depending on how much processor is used.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Is the netbook really able to handle more than two things at the same time? I was going to do the same, but I didn't think the low-powered system would handle what I wanted it to.
Many quality netbooks can play DVD's in pretty good resolution. I've got a few coworkers that have built their own using this board: Newegg.com - ECS 945GCT-D Intel Atom FCBGA 437 Intel 945GC Mini-DTX 200x170mm Motherboard/CPU Combo - Motherboard / CPU / VGA Combo

Newegg.com - Intel BOXD945GCLF2 Atom 330 Intel 945GC Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Motherboard / CPU / VGA Combo

We use the Intel version of their board in host systems at work running multiple applications. Be sure to get the dual core version... With HT enable you will see 4 threads.

The board is small and has video/audio and the price is right. I wouldn't expect 1080i out of it, but 720 should be fine on graphics. The drive and touch screen will cost more than the motherboard with graphics/audio and 2G of RAM.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Aus, hope everything is well or turns out well.

I was going to do this too but one day I left my Ipod in the car and felt how hot it was. I realized I would need a heck of a lot of cooling power for me to do this correctly. Of course, I am in Arizona...and it's summer haha.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Aus, hope everything is well or turns out well.

I was going to do this too but one day I left my Ipod in the car and felt how hot it was. I realized I would need a heck of a lot of cooling power for me to do this correctly. Of course, I am in Arizona...and it's summer haha.
EEEKKK, yeah, Az can be killer heat wise. I lived in Chandler for almost 2 years. The boards in question should be operational at up to 80c without any problem. The CPU is good up to 90C and will throttle if it gets too hot. You only worry is a hard drive, but you should be able to create a cooling solution for it as well. Conventional should be good up to 55c while operating while many solid state drives can run up to 70C.

It should be doable. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
you freaked me out with your units of measurement haha. I was thinking to myself that none of those temps would be acceptable haha. The life of the computer would be drastically diminished though.

Honestly, I have decided that with a good headunit I can have what I would use the carputer for. The only thing that I don't want to pay for would be the high price of adding Navi to it...but my phone has Garmin and also TV-out so I can just hook it up to the head unit. I do on the other hand really want OBDII readout though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
yea, I would have come up with a nice cooling system, but for what I needed for it's more work and money that its worth right now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's been over 100° F in TX for weeks and my truckPC has been running without issues even with the AC turned off.
I just open my windows and it still working fine. :noworries:

The CPU temp gets to about 151°F easily.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
f1....pics of ur setup?

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's been over 100° F in TX for weeks and my truckPC has been running without issues even with the AC turned off.
I just open my windows and it still working fine. :noworries:

The CPU temp gets to about 151°F easily.
Lol looks like I have the user name you tried for, and I'm in texas too...doppelganger! haha j/k.

My friend has a carputer and I don't really understand why, i mean its awesome on road trips but i don't really see the point of having one, someone care to elaborate?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Lol looks like I have the user name you tried for, and I'm in texas too...doppelganger! haha j/k.

My friend has a carputer and I don't really understand why, i mean its awesome on road trips but i don't really see the point of having one, someone care to elaborate?
because you can do everything a radio and a computer can do sitting in your ride. radio, sat radio, wifi, cell internet, movies without needing DVD's, games, the list goes on and on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
actually have have been using this username with 1 for a long time. ;p

f1....pics of ur setup?
Computer in a Mo-co-so case, modded w/ 2 controlled fans.

7" Display from Revo-Sys

vid action under sunlight.
FrontierPC w/ RevoSys DoubleDin IN-Dash display on Vimeo

I have a GPS under the windsheld connected to the mobo using usb.
Also using a Visteon HDZ300 AM/FM tuner, plugged to PC using Serial, It's tucked in front of the shifter, underneath those A/V inputs.
External CDrw/DVD and USB hub under the display.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here are some pics and a description of my carputer setup.

Hardware
Lilliput EBY701 7"� touchscreen LCD display
Intel Atom processor 230 Intel 945GC Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
PNY Optima 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory
80 GB notebook HD
Mobile Computing Solutions Black Aluminum Mini ITX Car PC Case
Soundblaster Live! 24-bit external USB sound card
Autoenginuity scantool
EverMore GM-R900 GPS
Directed DMHD1000 HD radio with serial cable to computer
Directed A404 4-channel amp

Software
Windows XP Pro (tried Vista Business, but sound was a problem)
Centrafuse front end
Autoenginuity scantool (2 degree timing bump anyone?)
Delorme TopoUSA 7.0 (soon to be upgraded to version 8 )
Delorme Street Atlas USA 2009
GPS Gate (allows apps to share the GPS)

The LCD is installed in the dash where the OEM head unit was. A little trimming of the left vent was required to let the LCD fit. The bezel of the LCD is epoxied to the OEM opening, and a carbon rod through the LCD mount on the back is epoxied to the back of the vents (sorry, no picture of the back). I still need to try some antiglare film or build a shade to reduce glare.

The GPS is taped underneath the dash to the metal plate under the little plastic tray.

I ran a USB port to the dash under the passenger airbag light (handy for plugging in a memory key, keyboard, or both via a hub)

The computer itself is under the driver's seat. All of the connectors face the front of the truck. The case fits nicely in the depression next to the transmission hump. There is still enough room to fit a fire extinguisher under there.

The HD radio is under the passenger's seat. It connects to the serial port on the PC via a cable designed for this purpose.

The amp and sound card are in the cargo area in the back of the X (oh yeah, I have an Xterra, not a Fronty).

The Autoenginuity connector is hooked to the OBD port via a right angle extension cable. The box is stashed under the driver's seat so I can easily pull it out to hook up to other trucks, or my laptop if I need a bigger screen.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts