Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the post name implies; I'd like to install a set of bed lights that are connected to my cargo light switch.

Truck: 2014 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab 4.0L V6

Lights: RioRand 2-Piece Waterproof Aluminum 6W 6000K Xenon lights
https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-history?ie=UTF8&ref_=nav_youraccount_bnav_ya_ad_orders&

After doing some research and tossing a multi-meter on the cargo switch circuits I found that the cargo lamp is actually ground switch. The switch closes the ground to the BCM and then the BCM sends the signal to the cargo lamp relay to then power on the cargo lamp.

This gives me two options, in theory.

1: I can run the light's positive wire directly to the fuse box and then splice the negative into the Grey wire from the cargo switch. Grey on Cargo switch is negative to the BCM. So when I flip the cargo switch it should then complete the ground and turn on both the cargo lamp and bed lights using two different power sources; one for the bed lights and one for the cargo lamp.

or

2: I can run the cargo lamp's relay positive output wire (pink) to the bed lights and then wire the bed light's negative directly to the closest ground. That way when the cargo lamp switch it flipped it powers both the cargo lamp and bed lights from the same circuit.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something here as I have little to no training in wiring. This seems pretty simple of a concept though. My only concern at the moment is back-feeding power into the BCM.

Any and all comments, concerns, and suggestions are welcomed here.

Thank you for any help!

**Cargo Lamp Switch Pin Out**
Pin 1 = Gray - Signal from BCM to switch
Pin 2 = Pink - Ground wire for the stock LED illuminating the switch
Pin 3 = Black - Ground wire for switch
Pin 4 = Purple(Violet) - Power wire from tail-lamp circuit that controls most dash illumination (comes on when your tail-lights are on)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Both options will work. As for back feeding the bcm, just put a diode inline. (basically a one way valve in the electrical realm). Remember though that if you use the grey wire to complete the negative circuit your bed lights will also come on when you unlock the truck or open a door.

When I finally get around to doing this to mine I plan on using the pink to trigger a relay to turn on the bed lights. This way they only come on with the switch. I'll cut the grey going to the cargo light to remove the feature that turns it on when a door is open or you unlock the truck. I'll then connect that (grey) to my rock lights with an inline switch. So that way you unlock the truck/ open a door the rock lights come on and light up the ground around the truck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so my thinking isn't flawed here. Taking your info I think the best bet, for me, would be to take the pink wire from the BCM to the Cargo Lamp Relay and splice in an additional wire that runs to a new relay, that is then connected to the bed lights. That way the bed lights are only switch enabled. With this setup I shouldn't need a diode in line either.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I went a slightly different route. I used a magnetic switch on the tailgate and ran the wires directly from the battery. I installed LED strip lights under the tracks on my Nismo. That way it only comes on when I open the tailgate. If for some reason I need to keep the tail down for a long period of time I will get a small magnet to attach next to the magnetic switch to turn it off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went a slightly different route. I used a magnetic switch on the tailgate and ran the wires directly from the battery. I installed LED strip lights under the tracks on my Nismo. That way it only comes on when I open the tailgate. If for some reason I need to keep the tail down for a long period of time I will get a small magnet to attach next to the magnetic switch to turn it off.
I thought about doing that, mainly since it was a simple install, but i don't like the ideal of "tricking" the circuit with an extra magnet. I'd rather control it directly via switch.

I considered mounting a rocker switch in the rear to control it but I still think I want to run it to the cargo switch on the drivers side. Still considering all options though.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I am installing LED strip lighting underneath/behind the utilitrack on each side of the bed.

I really don't want it coming on with the dome/cargo lights. Have considered some sort of tailgate switch (magnetic or microswitch) to turn them on when the gate is open. Don't really need that during the day or when the gate is down (with extender)...

I will probably just put them on their own switch (through a relay). If I need them, I will just turn them on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really don't want it coming on with the dome/cargo lights. Have considered some sort of tailgate switch (magnetic or microswitch) to turn them on when the gate is open. Don't really need that during the day or when the gate is down (with extender)...
If you splice them into the grey wire from the cargo switch to the BCM then they will only come on through the cargo switch; Not with the door unlock or door open.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I am installing LED strip lighting underneath/behind the utilitrack on each side of the bed.

I will probably just put them on their own switch (through a relay). If I need them, I will just turn them on.
I went with this route with a dedicated switch, red LED's which are easier on the eyes at night(and attract less bugs). Used the Toyota amber led rocker switch to match factory dash lighting. Found the magnetic switch write up - Bed Lighting (tailgate activated)
I'm sure there are others.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
I put a switch next to the tail light, in a hole that was there. I previously installed a DC outlet and tapped off that for power. The switch came with Hella fog lights, though I have seen a similar one at the parts store.

The switch is backwards in the photo. I turned it around and shuts off then I close the tailgate. I got lucky I guess.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I like the idea of a switch in the tailgate area to turn them on from the back. I am concerned about constantly wiping out the switch loading/unloading stuff. Maybe a recessed push button that would be protected from abuse (and hidden when the tailgate is closed to keep people from messing around with it).

Now I have to work out the logic...

1. Full control (constant on) when the (custom installed) bed light toggle switch is on in the cab...

2. Lights on when the button is pressed at the tailgate. Would like the lights to turn off if any of the following happen (only if activated at the push button in back):

- Remote Door Look is pressed
- Ignition is turned on
- Bed Light Toggle switch (in cab) is cycled on then off)

This is going to be fun...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with this route with a dedicated switch, red LED's which are easier on the eyes at night(and attract less bugs). Used the Toyota amber led rocker switch to match factory dash lighting. Found the magnetic switch write up - Bed Lighting (tailgate activated)
I'm sure there are others.
Question for ya.

How and where did you run the wiring into the bed? Last night I ran my wiring with split loom through the firewall, across the top of the engine compartment, down the passenger side fender well and passenger side length of body to the Tow wiring harness. I bundled it there until I determine how I'm getting them into the actual bed area. I'd like to refrain from drilling if possible; not sure that is going to be possible though.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
You have a few options, there are many gaps between the inner bed skin and the truck body under the bed rails. You can also remove the plugs at the front of the bed and go in there. I came up through one of the bed skin gaps in the front passenger corner of the bed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have a few options, there are many gaps between the inner bed skin and the truck body under the bed rails. You can also remove the plugs at the front of the bed and go in there. I came up through one of the bed skin gaps in the front passenger corner of the bed.
Thank you. The plugs come into the bed way low. I'll have to look for a gap around the tail light area or possibly back some of the wiring out and come in around the passenger side top corner. Right now i have everything bundled and zip tied up under the passenger rear corner. Going to try to finish this up tonight after work or over the weekend.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello All : I know this is a old thread but does it still apply to a 2019 Frontier Pro-4X ? If yes from this thread
All from the BCM (located right of the steering wheel) pink wire to trigger a relay to turn on the bed lights. grey wire for the ground so when I unlock the truck/ open a door the bed lights come on. Sounds correct ? Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm amazed, I pulled both cargo light bulbs out of their socket and threw them away, I cant stand those lights coming on everytime I open the door, if I need light I'll use the flashlight in the door tray.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts