Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

so this is the beginning of a long story, so pop some popcorn and put your reading glasses on.

So my trucks been at a nissan dealership for the past week and I just got it back 2 days ago, to revel in the glory of having my truck back again, My friends and I got together and installed strobes in the taillights. Now because most of the frame is painted in the back and I coudnt find a bolt that I could take off to ground it to, I ran another wire from the engine bay and grounded it to a random bolt in there.

Note: the switch is a three prong switch.

Now the strobes work fine and all is well and dandy with that, but I'm having other problems

So today, I headed out and the truck started fine, ran a few errands and realized that the A/C button would refuse to light up at all and the A\C wouldn't work.... and on top of that my entire light bar on top of the truck (The third brake light and the cargo lights) wont turn on either.

and now when I flip on the rear e-locker, sometimes DIFF LOCK just flashes at me, and sometimes DIFF LOCK,SLIP, and the ABS lights turn on all at once (meaning that its actually working)

I figured I'd just take it back to the dealership on tuesday and try to have them figure out whats wrong, but when I went out the truck again to pull it into the driveway, it WOULDN'T start up
the starter motor would go when I turned the key, but the engine would'nt turn over :censor:

I stopped, pumped the gas pedal twice, and then turned the key.... and it started up without hesitation..., like nothing ever happened
:thatswck:

and on top of that, my A/C started working again, everything lights up and the A/C works just fine.

but the top light bar still doesnt light up when i hit the brakes, and my cargo lights dont work at all, and my rear e-lockers still acting up.

My main question is, could I have screwed something up by installing the strobes?, or is this something the dealer screwed up when they had the truck. I never had trouble with the top light bar, elocker, or the A/C before I gave it to them.... I didnt notice that these things wernt working after getting the truck back from the dealer and I went ahead and installed the strobes the same day, so I dont know whether it was me, or them :(

·
Registered
826 Posts
It could be the strobes, from what I understand they like to fry things, I used to drive tow trucks for a local company out here and I got issued a new truck with strobe lightbars, but it got taken off for that very reason, that in someway it was frying the eletrical, please dont quote me on any of this, this was a while ago when "strobes" where a new thing, and I worked the night shift and was very tired when he was explaining this.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Unless there's something wrong with the strobe controller or you picked a bad bolt to ground on I have never heard of this. I’ve been driving patrol cars with full 14 strobe light bars for 10 years with no problems. You may have a bigger issue.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i removed all the wiring for the strobes and no change in the diff lock problem or the top light bar, car and A/C seems to have fixed itself....
going to the dealer tommorow, ill keep u guys updated

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
flashing diff light means it is not engaged, do a quick S turn and it should pop in.

·
Super Moderator
19,584 Posts
I read in the service manual that you should not connect any grounds directly to the negative post on the battery. There is some kind of sensing circuit for the alternator or something like that. Going by your diagram, you have the switch wired directly to the ground terminal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I blame the dealership. I've been installing neons, LEDs, and strobe lights in cars for a while now and i never had a problem like this. Fuses, broken switches... yes. Diff lock problem? never.
Is the light bar aftermarket? If yes, then check the fuse, then take a multimeter and test for power and ground at the light bar and at the switch.

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
Scrape some paint off the frame and ground it there. After you do that see if it all works as desired.

Clint

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
you have some fubared wiring somewhere. i hard wired my led bar and found i cannot have running lights and brakes at the same time. lol my 3rd brake and brake lights were on half assed all the time and my cruise would start blinkin after 30 mph and would not work. and when i hit the brakes my dash lights and fog lights would come on. come to find out. dont bridge the brake and runing light wires together with another wire. its screws stuff up lol

·
Registered
985 Posts
Everyone needs to realize these trucks have a computer between the stock electrical controls and the driver, not wiring as in the past. Even the throttle is by wire. Mess up the electrons and things get really confused.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
flashing diff light means it is not engaged, do a quick S turn and it should pop in.
Really? I thought the owners manual said to come to a complete stop and then engage the diff lock

well the dealership solved the cargo light problem real quickly....they forgot to plug the entire damned thing in :/

theyre still looking into the A/C problem and will let me know tommorow

·
Registered
831 Posts
IPDM is wacking out, tell nissan to throw a new one in... service advisor from nissan corporate told me it should be something allowed for replacement at no charge. Maybe that only applies to the 05's though. I have an extra IPDM working if needed.

Look at the condenser yourself, see if its really that bad or if they're giving you shi* so you'll give them money. Regardless of the condenser's condition, the AC system should still activate and give you an "on" light.

·
Super Moderator
19,584 Posts
hehe no clue what an IPDM is? wanna explain :D

but yeah it is pretty bad... i checked it outmyself and took pics:

hows that look?

supposdely the a/c system knows not to kick in when the freon pressure is too low in the system
the A/C does kick on sometimes when it feels like it, but i can hear a hiss noise everytime the compressor activates and the machine really did say the freon was low in the low part of the A/C system, i saw it myself

EDIT: does anyone know wtf that plug is for thats hanging down?

You "might need" a new condenser? There is no way you can stop that one from losing refrigerant.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
yeah it needs to be replaced... that plug hangin down is for an outside temp sensor... Pathfinders have it, but i haven't been willing to drop the green ones on just buying one and plugging it in...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts