Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard that the paint on Frontiers is pretty fragile and to avoid car washes with brushes. We have some with soft touch brushes I like to use in winter to get undercarraige too.

Any truth to paint damage in car wash?

· Registered
3,401 Posts
I never had trouble. But I always do a quick walk-around before I leave the car wash property.
It's a truck, not a Fabergé egg.
But I just never get in line behind a truck coming out of a mud pit, either. You need to check out the line in front of you.

· Registered
1,541 Posts
I'd be more concerned with mechanical damage than paint damage. Last time I went to the auto car wash, the passenger-side mirror was flipped forward by one brush and put back in place by the last one LOL. Also the front license plate got bent, but that's because the sharp edges got snagged on the brushes. I put on a license plate frame and haven't had a problem since (about 3 more washes).

The automatic car wash is the only way the Frontier gets washed. $15, sit on my butt, and a (mostly) clean car 5 minutes later with no sweat. Sure, you'll get some swirls and whatnot, but it's a truck, not a Lambo.

I recommend going to a car wash with a long tunnel that pulls your car through each machine, rather than the small ones where you leave your car stationary and the machine moves around it. Look at how clean the walls of the tunnel are and that'll give you an indication of how well they maintain the machinery. The place I go to power washes the tunnel each night. The machines have some wear, but everything is clean. Newer places have water jets that spray the brushes down after each car.

I don't go to the touchless wash because you need some mechanical agitation to remove dirt and road grime. High pressure water can't cut it.

· Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
This is a touchy subject to some. Why? Well, some people are super picky with their cars and trucks and some well, aren't.

Now you "have heard" that the Nissan Paint is easily damaged? Well, its not just Nissan. Most new cars are due to the paint being water based these days and how its applied. The old days of laying on paint kinda thick is gone, and more thinner lighter coats are not only more economical, but better for the environment.

With that in mind? I would stay away from any type of mechanical car wash. If its a "touch less" car wash where they spray water, then soap and rinse, I can't see that really hurting anything.

If you are picky about your vehicle though, I would just get some good car shampoo from the local Walmart, Meguiars Gold Class is a decent soap and wash your own vehicle. You can YouTube the 2 bucket method and go from there.

Yes there are really finicky people that go over the top and all but I am just saying for the average Joe that just wants a clean vehicle.

You have to put in the work though. If you don't want to? Either pay someone to wash it properly, or if you must go through an automatic type place just make sure it is "Touch Less".

Let the debates begin. haha.

· Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Ive heard that the paint on Frontiers is pretty fragile and to avoid car washes with brushes. We have some with soft touch brushes I like to use in winter to get undercarraige too.

Any truth to paint damage in car wash?
No debate required... there's truth to it, because it's happened before - and not just with Nissans. It can happen to any vehicle and any paint job.

I don't trust the brush-type auto car washes at all. It doesn't matter if they're "soft touch" brushes in the automated car washes, I've never seen one that actually RINSES the dirt and grime out of the automated brushes after being used (like you would washing your truck yourself). So all that accumulated dirt and grime and bird poop and tar and other contaminants from cars and trucks that used the wash before you, chances are they might still be there, in the brush, waiting like "scratchmakers" for you to drive on in.

But I'm not condoning automated car washes. I actually like them for quick "in-between-full-washes" type things.
I normally use automated car washes a lot, maybe 5-6 times in between when I hand wash my truck (the "good" wash)... so the advice here is:

If using an automated car wash, stick to touchless.

· Registered
2,102 Posts
I would recommend doing a wax job at least once a year if possible.... i didn't do one for almost 3 years.... did a full clay bar treatment and it looked like it was brand new.... living in a city is hard to wash your car... especially if you have no driveway

· Registered
1,541 Posts
I would recommend doing a wax job at least once a year if possible.... i didn't do one for almost 3 years.... did a full clay bar treatment and it looked like it was brand new.... living in a city is hard to wash your car... especially if you have no driveway
That's pretty much the extent of my auto detailing nowadays. I used to detail cars for a living and had an absolute spotless car. Now? Auto car wash whenever it's really dirty (month or more), clay bar and wax once a year-ish. I don't bother polishing it. I wax it to help prevent the paint from oxidizing and let stuff wash off a little easier.

I clay barred at a DIY car wash in the full sun. Granted I went in the early morning so it wasn't stupid hot. Hoping that Red or Green (Milwaukee or Ryobi) make a battery-powered DA polisher at some point.

WAIT.

you guys are washing your trucks?
My last two trucks were washed when it rained.

· Registered
563 Posts
i wash mine with wash n wax car soap maybe 4-5 times a year at the most. you can use any brand you want. turtle wax, meguiars, mothers, etc. etc. i've never waxed a vehicle the old fashioned way with the pad and letting it dry and wiping it off and all that. maybe i did it once back when i was a teenager. i just use wash n wax. turtle wax even has a wash n wax with ceramic stuff in it too now. the water beads up on my truck so i guess the wash n wax is applying some wax when i wash it every 2-3 months.

mostly all winter i don't wash it because it rains so much in the winter time here there's really no point in washing it. in spring not really a point because of all the pollen. you wash it and next day it's yellow. summer time it's freakin' hot and humid so hard to get motivated to go out and wash it. fall is really the only nice time of year here. LOL

to me there's no point in trying to have a perfect paint job. if you daily drive your vehicle it's gonna get ruined the first day you drive it with some rock chips or whatever. you can't keep a car looking perfect unless you just keep it in a warehouse all the time and never use it.

i just try to keep it reasonably clean. I'm the only person in my neighborhood that washes their vehicle any more. i guess everyone just goes to the automatic car washes or pays someone to wash it for them. the automatic ones are like $5-$10 but i don't like using those and a good hand wash service is like $25 minimum to get it washed. I just don't like spending money on that type of thing when i can do it myself. a bottle of wash n wax is like $5-$10 and lasts like 5 years probably.

· Read Only
295 Posts
This is what I was meaning in my original post to the OP. People are just different to what they want from their car or truck in this case. Its like asking which motor oil to use, or what brand of gas. Your going to hear ALL KINDS of what to do's.

Its either your really into detailing your vehicles and while rewarding can be very frustrating. I live in the SoCal Low Desert in the Imperial Valley, CA. Many people have heard of Glamis, CA? Well that is literally in my backyard, haha. You have super crazy sun here, sometimes the warmest in the nation, Sand Storms so bad you can't see across the street and bugs from all the fields in surrounding areas.

With all that, its puts real havoc on a vehicles paint. So using me as an example, you have 2 roads you can take. One, Its a truck and they look better dirty approach, meaning, it gets washed when it rains, and if your like SUPER SUPER bored one day you will take out the hose and bucket and give it a wash...or Two, your anal and want the vehicle as close to perfect as it can be. haha.

I used to be the latter. Until a spine injury. Now? Well, if you look at my profile pic that is how I try to keep our cars. We have a 9 yr old car that I drive that people think is allot newer than it is, the truck looks fantastic and people can say yeah its new, but check back with me in 5 yrs the truck will look just as good. That's just how I am.

The thing is? Its ALLOT of work. I am not so much into D/A polishing, and coming from a family that was in the body shop business for 30+ yrs I learned from family about the importance of your factory paint and clear. Many detailers will or don't fully explain the polishing procedure and all you see is the end result and think WOW it looks like new. Not realizing that half your clear coat was polished away to make it look like that. If you live where I do?? That clear coat is worth more than the shine. AND NO SiO2 coating is going to ever be as good as your factory clear coat and anyone telling you otherwise is full of it.

So just keep it simple. If you want your vehicle to look good? Take the time and effort to make it so. Its not too crazy. A couple of buckets, water, soap and some Microfiber towels.

If you are interested in my personal regiment and what I use and why and how often, just PM me and I will tell you. I don't want to get into arguments over this. Like I said, some people are VERY passionate about detailing. So not going to step on anyone's toes or hurt anyone's feelings here.

Just saying it like it is.

Here is a photo of my car (the truck is well, the wife's haha)
2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS we bought new in July 2011
Original Paint, after being 9 yrs in the desert hot sun. No SiO2 gimmicky coatings either.

· Registered
1,541 Posts
Hoping that Red or Green (Milwaukee or Ryobi) make a battery-powered DA polisher at some point.
Following up on my own inquiry, one of my detailing buddies mentioned the Meguiars DA Power System. Coupled with a right-angle drill, I think it'd make a nifty little light-duty DA polisher. Neither of us tried it, but heck, for $50 I think it's worth a try.

· Read Only
295 Posts
Following up on my own inquiry, one of my detailing buddies mentioned the Meguiars DA Power System. Coupled with a right-angle drill, I think it'd make a nifty little light-duty DA polisher. Neither of us tried it, but heck, for $50 I think it's worth a try.
I wouldn't bother with that. If you set on using a D/A? Go to harbor freight and get one..they actually are not that bad. With coupon you can get one for $44.99 Just use good pads.
I advise against D/A polishing, but if your car is 5-10 yrs old and you want to get some shine from a neglected car? Why not. Just know your taking off your clear to get that shine and unless your using a paint thickness gauge (which most people and detailers don't) you just don't know how much your taking off. That's the thing.
Up to you. It won't hurt, per se, but just don't be doing it all the time. I have seen people use a D/A chasing every imperfection and the result? Yeah looked good. But the clear is almost gone to get it. Outweigh your pro's vs cons for what your trying to achieve. Detailers will argue this, of course its their business. Go ask a painter their opinion and let the opinions begin. Who would you rather take info from? A person that details, or a person that paints? That is the question. haha.

· Registered
1,541 Posts
I wouldn't bother with that. If you set on using a D/A? Go to harbor freight and get one..they actually are not that bad. With coupon you can get one for $44.99 Just use good pads.
I advise against D/A polishing, but if your car is 5-10 yrs old and you want to get some shine from a neglected car? Why not. Just know your taking off your clear to get that shine and unless your using a paint thickness gauge (which most people and detailers don't) you just don't know how much your taking off. That's the thing.
Up to you. It won't hurt, per se, but just don't be doing it all the time. I have seen people use a D/A chasing every imperfection and the result? Yeah looked good. But the clear is almost gone to get it. Outweigh your pro's vs cons for what your trying to achieve. Detailers will argue this, of course its their business. Go ask a painter their opinion and let the opinions begin. Who would you rather take info from? A person that details, or a person that paints? That is the question. haha.
I used to detail cars for a living and still have most of my equipment. My go-to is a Porter Cable 7424XP. I don't use it for polishing any more. Just for applying wax with a red LC pad (zero cutting power). I was looking at the Megs DA Power System since it looks more convenient than breaking out the PC if I just need to evenly apply wax (no cutting/polishing needed).

· Read Only
295 Posts
I used to detail cars for a living and still have most of my equipment. My go-to is a Porter Cable 7424XP. I don't use it for polishing any more. Just for applying wax with a red LC pad (zero cutting power). I was looking at the Megs DA Power System since it looks more convenient than breaking out the PC if I just need to evenly apply wax (no cutting/polishing needed).
With your PC D/A is all you would need for that.
I totally understand your point though.
Only way to find out is try it out.

· Registered
2019 Pro4x CC
92 Posts
In in the middle of the pack for vehicle washing. I like to wash every couple weeks when my garden hoses arent secured for winter (March-November). I wax 2 times a year once in spring once in fall using the new style spray wax which is super easy and quick to use. In the winter I go to the touchless car washes that do the under body spray for road salt after every snow storm. I havent done an actual wax since I was 17, and probably never will again LOL. I did however use my first clay bar (mequiars speed clay 2) ever last week to get rail dust of my wifes 17 grand cherokee. Worked like a charm and made the paint really shine

· Read Only
295 Posts
In in the middle of the pack for vehicle washing. I like to wash every couple weeks when my garden hoses arent secured for winter (March-November). I wax 2 times a year once in spring once in fall using the new style spray wax which is super easy and quick to use. In the winter I go to the touchless car washes that do the under body spray for road salt after every snow storm. I havent done an actual wax since I was 17, and probably never will again LOL. I did however use my first clay bar (mequiars speed clay 2) ever last week to get rail dust of my wifes 17 grand cherokee. Worked like a charm and made the paint really shine
Luckily where I live we don't deal with snow. Though, I do go to the snow where my Parents live in AZ. They don't use salt in the roads there, I forget what it is they do use, but its not salt. When I get home from visiting them in the winter I use a degreaser and a pressure washer to get the under body clean.

Yeah, I get it, detailing is allot of work. Products now a days make it pretty easy though. Much easier to pay someone to do it, but even with my jacked up back, with my wife's help we can still do the work ourselves.

One good thing though is trucks look good dirty haha. So that's a plus 👍

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts