Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've got a 1995 Eagle Talon ESI that I had planned on fixing and selling but I lost interest. Today I had a couple stop by and we agreed on $600 and it's theirs. Well I had the title notarized a few years back but never had it swapped over to my name since I wasn't going to be driving it any time soon. Well I'm wondering if it will be so simple as to just go to the DMV and get it swapped over to me since it was so long ago when I had it done. Then I can go with the people and have it notarized and swapped over to them directly afterwards. Should there be a problem with this? If the DMV wont cause a fuss about it then I'll go get it done Thursday and then have it swapped over to them on Saturday. Thanks...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ok so I've got a 1995 Eagle Talon ESI that I had planned on fixing and selling but I lost interest. Today I had a couple stop by and we agreed on $600 and it's theirs. Well I had the title notarized a few years back but never had it swapped over to my name since I wasn't going to be driving it any time soon. Well I'm wondering if it will be so simple as to just go to the DMV and get it swapped over to me since it was so long ago when I had it done. Then I can go with the people and have it notarized and swapped over to them directly afterwards. Should there be a problem with this? If the DMV wont cause a fuss about it then I'll go get it done Thursday and then have it swapped over to them on Saturday. Thanks...
I've done something similar - I had a vehicle tag that still showed a lien on the vehicle, because I never went to the DMV to request a title that's clean/clear. The dealership I traded this vehicle in to, said it wouldn't be a problem, I just need something showing that it's been paid in full - thankfully I still had the papers from the bank, from when I paid it off....

My point being, if you never got the title in your name, there's a chance you mgiht be able to just sign the title over to the new ownrs without having to get it filed in your name first....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the thing is the back of the title has my name and the sellers already signed and it has been notarized a few years back. Just never got around to completing the transfer over to me.

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
no. its not simple anymore. you have to send it off in your name now. when you get it back you can sell the title to their name.

you cant erase on a title. it will be about a month to a month and a half before you get the title back.

i know there might be some way around it, but i dont know what it is.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
take that title and hit dmv with them with your ID. doeverthing at once. Here in CA someone will have to pay all the back reg fees, but you can usually get out of the penalties.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
^^ if you weren't driving the vehicle after the registration expired then you don't owe any back registration fees. not driven = no registration or tags needed.

if you do then YOUR STATE SUCKS.

you will have to get the title in your name before signing it over to your buyers... they have to complete the bottom part on the front with the odometer agreement and all that crap...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Since you are in Louisiana, why do you need a title?? ;-)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
In most states, you have to transfer the title to yourself if you "own" it, otherwise you can be charged with skipping title. You do have property tax fees, right? If you didn't title the car in your name and do have property taxes, then you would at a minimum owe the state the property tax fees for they years that you owned the car. Likely not very much.

If the car wasn't in titled in your name and you owned it and I came along to buy the vehicle and you show me the title "clear in hand" but it has someone else's name on it because you never went and got it transfered, I would be running away. Who is to say someone didn't steal the car and title and is now trying to sell a hot car?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The DMV would be a better place to resolve this issue. Each state could have different laws and requirements.

For example, in KS, I believe you would owe taxes back to the date it was notarized, but you could sell directly to the new people via the back of the title even though you never got the title in your name. Of course, it doesn't mean crap in LA what KS does.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts